waiting again

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 10, 2003
      HI group

      As some of you know, I've been trying to get on the pegintron when I heard that Canada started funding it.

      Wellll, I still don't know about getting on treatment. When I tried the standard combo, I went off it after 2 weeks cuz of the speedy sides. Now the nazi governmet in BC, Canada is saying "if you've tried treatment in the past and haven't responded, you are not eligible for the peg". The way my GI sees it, he figures that the government is too stupid to realize I did try it over 2 years ago....if they say no, he said he'd fib for me and say I tried it and heard about the new treatment coming so I stopped the old treatment to (help save taxpayers money) so I could go on the new treatment. He also said because it's not the same calendar year, he doubts that medical will catch on that I did try it. Besides, if the rules say I have to have tried treatment and not responded so I can't do it again....that's not true, I didn't try it long enough to find out if I would have cleared. It's the most dumbest rule I've ever heard of. The nazi's are excluding all the people who need this treatment the most....all of us genos 1a and 1b...the chance of clearing on the the standard interferon and riba were less than 30% for us. Now the chances are 60% for genos1.

      IMHO, I think this rule sucks big time. I think my GI doc is fairly confident I'll be able to do the peg, he filled out all the papers, sent me for bloodtests, and set me up with the woman who shows me how to mix it. So again....the waiting game is on.....ARGGGGGGGGG.

      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 11, 2003
        Carol...

        I'm so sorry they are putting you through hoops like this. I guess this is one of the downfalls of socialized medicine. ..they can control what meds you get and what meds you don't get.

        I'll keep you in my thoughts and send a prayer to the Great Spirit to help you on your way to getting on PegIntron and beating this dragon.

        Blessings

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 11, 2003
          Thanks Tatezi....you see now what I mean about socialized medicine....this is the downfall of it all. What the government is doing with HCV treatment is no different than if a person got cancer and went through chemo, had a remission, then had to redo chemo. Such discrimination is what pisses me off so much.

          Huggggs