Re: [GIWorld-Hepatitis] input please Claudine & Doc

  • jcmmo@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1 10:40 PM
      I went to my doctor last week. I was told
      not to worry about my gall bladder. If I have another attack then I
      will have it removed. The doc said that they are worried about possible
      varicies complicating the surgery.
      I was told that I have acities. I take 100 mg of aldactone in the
      morning and 40 mg of lasix later in the day.
      My labs came back as follows.....
      viral load .....500,000 IU
      albumin ......2.5
      ast...............105
      alt................135
      alk p'tase......322
      dir bili......... 0.3
      eos................0.1
      afp.................12
      My platelets are 190,000
      The rest of my labs were normal. The ast & alt both dropped 50-80
      points since my labs in april. This is the lowest that my albumin has
      ever been.
      The doc talked about maintenance interferon until I get a transplant.
      I have an appt with a transplant doctor from Mayo clinic on 8/20.
      I don't feel like I am needing a transplant at this time. But I'm not
      the doctor.
      The bruising is getting worse.
      The edema is so bad that it bruises the top of my feet down by my
      toes....Plus the big purple bruises everywhere else on my body. Again I
      was asked if I am in a
      abusive relationship. I answered, "only with my pillow." LOL
      This disease seems to be progressing
      rapidly in the last year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      Do I need to be concerned about my albumin?? Does it ever go back up
      once it is this low??
      What questions should I be asking at my next appt??
      Any input would be greatly appreciated.

      I am going to the Minnesota Hepfest next week. Is anyone from this list
      going ???

      Have a great weekend.....

      hugs,
      Judy
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 2 9:48 AM
        Hi Judy,
        I can't really give you any specific answers here - putting
        together the overall picture from your lab work and symptoms is over
        my head. I can say that sometimes your ALT and AST will drop as
        cirrhosis progresses. In fact, it is common for someone with
        cirrhosis to have normal LFT's since these enzymes are produced when
        healthy liver cells are being damaged. As there are less and less
        healthy cells left the levels of these enzymes will fall. Has your
        doctor commented on what he thinks is the cause of your bruising?
        Your platelets (at 190,000) are not really that low. I think you
        should listen to your doctor's advice and get on maintainence
        treatment, and get on the transplant list. That never hurts since it
        can take a while to find a donor liver. Better to get on it before
        you really need it.
        Good luck!
        Claudine

        http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 2 12:59 PM
          I've heard good things about maintenance interferon helping while waiting to get a liver...and there have been studies on it. I remember I got accepted into a study with maintenance interferon until I discovered it was in Michigan and I'd have to go there for labs weekly.

          I can't even imagine what it must be like to have edema as badly as you described. My heart goes out to you. Consider yourself hugged.

          <<<hugs>>>

          --- jcmmo@... wrote:
          > My labs came back as follows.....
          > viral load .....500,000 IU
          > albumin ......2.5
          > ast...............105
          > alt................135
          > alk p'tase......322
          > dir bili......... 0.3
          > eos................0.1
          > afp.................12
          > My platelets are 190,000
          > The rest of my labs were normal. The ast & alt both dropped 50-80
          > points since my labs in april. This is the lowest that my albumin
          > has
          > ever been.
          > The doc talked about maintenance interferon until I get a
          > transplant.
          > I have an appt with a transplant doctor from Mayo clinic on 8/20.
          > I don't feel like I am needing a transplant at this time. But I'm
          > not
          > the doctor.
          > The bruising is getting worse.
          > The edema is so bad that it bruises the top of my feet down by my
          > toes....Plus the big purple bruises everywhere else on my body.

          http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

        • AlleyPat
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 3 11:35 AM
            I agree with Claudine. Some people are on the transplant list for years and years.

            Alley
            alleypat@...
            http://home.comcast.net/~alleypat

            "Thou reeky dizzy-eyed pantaloon!" from