Re: [GIWorld-Hepatitis] re: Update (cherry)

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 28, 2003
      --- "C.J." <runabout104@...> wrote:
      > Thanks Claudine for the info. Can the P.A. also make treatment
      > descions? Say, if the hepatologist dr. is out, can the P.A. make
      > that decision?

      That would depend on the working arrangement between the PA and the
      Hepatologist. The PA can pretty much do whatever the Hepatolgist has
      determined he/she can do, which often depends on how experienced the
      PA is, how long they have worked together, how much the Hepatologist
      trusts the PA's decisions, etc. If the Hepatologist has a busy
      practice (which he probably does) he probably leaves all those
      routine decisions up to the PA, and for THEM putting someone on
      treatment may be 'routine'. Remember, this (liver disease) is their
      field of expertise, unlike your other doctor who dealt with all sorts
      of GI problems and may have never had any formal training in treating
      HCV. Even if the PA cannot make that decision on the spot he/she can
      probably review your records with the Hepatologist and any treatment
      recommendations can be either sent to your local GI or a prescription
      mailed to you, although if you do go on treatment you will still have
      to be followed by a doctor. I know you have to keep your 5 hour
      distance in mind (and make sure the PA knows that too), but if you
      can work an arrangment to be co-managed by the Hepatologist and your
      local GI it would probably be good, since the Hepatologist is much
      more likely to treat aggressively, not dose reduce unless absolutely
      necessary, etc. In other words, if the Hepatologist made all
      treatment decisions and your local GI just followed you for routine
      blood work and whatever else.

      Make sure when you go to the Hepatologist you take copies of
      EVERYTHING with you!(Biopsy report, lab tests during previous
      treatment, PCR results... especially your most recent blood test
      results and PCR - did your local Doc draw blood again for a repeat
      PCR in case the other was a mistake? If so, hopefully that result
      will be in before you go.) This can save LOTS of time and prevent
      the need for ordering tests which have already been done. Hopefully
      it will turn out that you have not relapsed and all this will be for
      nothing! Good luck!

      http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com