pegasys x peg intron/DOC

  • micky
    Message 1 of 4 , May 31, 2003
      Hello,

      I haven't written in a long time but I am still reading the very interesting mails in this list.
      I have a couple of questions to the Doc.

      I have started my first tx in March this year, with Pegasys and Ribavirin, having completed 12 weeks this Wednesday. Waiting for my PCR.
      Other than the expected effects, I have been well. My enzymes are back to normal; neutrophils go down, so I have to take granulokine to keep them higher.Platelets are stabilized at 71 thousand; haemoglobin 12 - so no important anaemia.

      I live in Brazil and we are having difficulty getting the medication from National Health and I will explain why.

      There was a bidding between Schering-Plough and Roche and the Government approved Schering's Peg Intron - because Schering said that they could divide the dosage between patients, thus making the cost lower for the Government, since Roche's pegasys is a unique dose and can't be shared ( I have my doubts on that!).

      My doubt is the following: they are going to give everyone Peg Intron, independent of the fact that people are on Pegasys, they will have to change to Peg Intron.
      My questions is: what are the consequences of this change? We know that the formula, posology, delivery systems are different; we know that one is alpha 2A and the other is alpha 2B; what does that mean in real terms for people to change from one to the other?
      Are there any studies, any statistics that prove that the change is not beneficial? If so, I would really appreciate the links so that I can take them to the Health Office.

      Won't that change the whole effects that one or the other have in our system?

      I am very concerned. It took me eight years of studies, researches and statistics to decide to treat myself and now, I don't feel secure to make this change and I am really thinking that if this is the case, I will stop treatment.
      I think it is a lack of respect that they should change our medication for money interest. We are not guinea pigs.
      I represent more than 300 heppers in my support group and they are all asking what to do.

      If you could help me see the light, clarify my doubts, I would be very thankful.
      I still have six doses of Pegasys with me - it's another six weeks, but then what??

      Thank you for your help
      Micky

      ---

    • Doc
      Message 2 of 4 , May 31, 2003
        The short answer is: Pegasys is probably better, but it does not make much difference.
        You are doing well on treatment so you can easily switch over to PegIntron without any problem.

        With best wishes,
        Dr Sharat Misra MD, DM, FACG

        Message 3 of 4 , May 31, 2003
          Thanks for your very honest answer Dr.
          Sincerely,
          Donna _whose physical strength is gaining with each day.
          Whose mental health is clearing everyday.
          Whose young son gives me warm happy hugs everyday to see our lives returning
          to normal?
          Whose Happily eager to rejoin the world of getting on with life.
          I am grateful to have gone through treatment and grateful it is now over.

          Donna

        • micky
          Message 4 of 4 , May 31, 2003
            and what would be the long answer? :-)
            Thank you for your reply, but I don't feel safe changing types of
            interferon.
            Especially because the latest studies suggest that it should be given
            twice weekly instead of once as it is with Pegasys, due to the mean
            life of the Schering product.
            if I am doing well with one, why should I change to something I don't
            know will be good for me?

            Anyway, I thank you for your time and will continue my search for the
            best option.
            Mind you ,I still don't have the results of my PCR - it might not
            have worked and then I will be out of the protocol, in any case!

            Regards
            Micky

            ]