INTERFERON GAMMA-1B FOR THE TREATMENT OF CHRONIC HEPATITIS C INFECTION

    Message 1 of 24 , May 26, 2003
      NATAP - www.natap.org

      INTERFERON GAMMA-1B FOR THE TREATMENT OF CHRONIC HEPATITIS C
      INFECTION

      Reported by Jules Levin
      DDW, May 17-22, 2003.
      Orlando, Florida

      Don Rockey reported preliminary data from a study of an antifibrotic
      drug at
      the DDW conference.

      Despite improvements in response rates for chronic hepatitis C virus
      (HCV)
      infection, many patients will not respond to standard therapy or have

      contraindications. Given the complications of HCV are due to fibrosis

      and ultimately
      portal hypertension, an alternative strategy would be to target
      fibrosis. We
      previously found that interferon-gamma has potent anti-fibrotic
      effects
      on
      stellate cells. Thus, the aim of this study was to determine the
      safety
      and efficacy
      of interferon gamma-1b in patients with HCV. It is not expected that
      Interferon-Gamma would decrease HCV viral load, only that it might
      slow
      or regress
      fibrosis, liver disease. An anti-fibrotic drug would be for patients
      that are
      unable to achieve a sustained antiviral response to Peginterferon
      plus
      ribavirin
      until more effective treatmemts for HCV are available.

      Twenty patients with chronic HCV who failed previous interferon-alfa
      based
      regimens or were intolerant to interferon-alfa therapy were enrolled.

      All
      patients received 200 mcg of interferon gamma-1b (Actimmune,
      Intermune,
      Brisbane,
      CA) subcutaneously three times weekly for 24 weeks. Patients
      underwent
      liver
      biopsy prior to and at week 24 of treatment. Biopsies were evaluated
      by
      a single
      blinded pathologist using the modified Knodell scoring system of
      Ishak.
      Fibrosis was quantitated by morphometric analysis after Sirius Red
      staining of
      specimens. The primary endpoint was a reduction of 1(absolute
      percentile) in
      fibrosis area by morphometric analysis. The study results showed
      Interferon-gamma
      did not change HCV-RNA.

      The study population was 75% male and 70% Caucasian. Mean age was
      47.9�7.5
      years. All were genotype 1. Eighteen of 20 patients completed
      therapy.
      One
      discontinued therapy at week 1 due to constitutional symptoms; one
      discontinued at
      week 4 due to an increase in liver enzymes to greater than 2X
      baseline.
      No
      dose reduction was required. No serious adverse events occurred.
      Liver
      biopsy
      results are presented in the table. By morphometric analysis, 6
      patients (30%)
      had a reduction in fibrosis area greater than 1 (absolute %). Just by

      coincidince or the fact that fibrosis can measurement can be variable

      in patients these
      number that showed improvement are not adequate. However, 3 (15%) had

      greater
      than 1% increase in fibrosis area.

      The authors concluded that Interferon gamma-1b therapy is safe and
      well
      tolerated in patients with chronic HCV infection. Although there was
      no
      reduction
      in fibrosis overall, interferon gamma-1b led to a reduction in
      fibrosis
      in
      selected patients. The small sample size, potential for sampling
      error,
      and short
      duration of treatment limit our ability to conclusively comment on
      efficacy.
      However, these data provide a basis for further study of interferon
      gamma-1b in
      patients with chronic fibrosing liver disease. Supported by a grant
      from
      NIDDK. Interferon gamma-1b provided by Intermune.

      In speaking with Intermune representatives at this conference they
      are
      committed to Interferon Gamma studies and larger studies are in
      progress. Although
      the data from this study was not impressive the study is only 24
      weeks.
      In
      addition, there are other anti-fibrotoc agents in research. The
      pre-treatment and
      post-treatment biopsies did not show discernible differences
      regarding
      changes
      in average fibrosis area %, Ishak HAI score, and Ishak Fibrosis
      score.

      http://search.yahoo.com
    • Greg L Newman
      Message 2 of 24 , May 26, 2003
        Hi everybody, keep it up,

        I have a question. Lots of things in the body can be helped or hurt, sped up or slowed down, depending on what we eat/drink along with attitude and other factors. So being most easily able to control what I ingest, I am wondering what foods & drinks contribute to fibrosis in the liver. I mean, if it's ketchup or mustard, or something daily that any of us is using the effect would be greater or worse on us, so then it would be good to know about diet to protect the liver and immune system. And not only what helps or hurts, but what also rebuilds.

        Has anyone considered using HGH human growth hormone along with other treatments? I was speaking about hgh with someone yesterday and they thought it was available here just like in Europe, but I haven't heard of any change in that matter (for the longest, it's been readily available in European spas at around $1000 a shot I believe while not being available in that form here in the USA). I used to read a lot on hgh late 80s & early 90s.

        Sincerely,

        Greg

        Open a PayPal Account today for online purchases &/or for Credit/Debit Cards

        Get a $5 Bonus just for signing up & opening an account with a funds transfer! Fast & Easy! Pay for auction purchases or buy at 1000s of online stores. Click here:
        https://www.paypal.com/refer/pal=WJXYDUMUSEY8W

        Message 3 of 24 , May 26, 2003
          Hi Greg,
          I've never heard of using HGH and don't think I'd mess with that,
          even if you could get it. Besides, there are much simpler things you
          can do with your diet.
          Avoid the things that can harm your liver, like a high fat diet
          and alcohol. Protien is the building blocks of the body, so eating
          adequate, good quality protein is important. Eat a well balanced diet
          with good variety. Drink lots of water. Avoid supplements that can
          harm your body: too much of vitamin A, D, K, Niacin, and especially
          iron. Don't smoke, get adequate exercise, etc. Other than that, the
          two main supplements I think can help your liver as far as helping
          protect it from fibrosis and rebuilding healthy liver cells is Milk
          Thistle and vitamin E. A good multivitamin without iron can't hurt
          (check the doses on those vitamins which can be harmful), but
          remember, a vitamin is no substitute for a healthy diet.

          http://search.yahoo.com
        • Greg L Newman
          Message 4 of 24 , May 30, 2003
            Hi Claudine,

            HGH is Human Growth Hormone, and many studies show it's probably the most powerful anti-aging substance known to date. The problem here is that hgh is not approved for use in the forms they use in Europe. In the best forms, people taking the monthly injections are losing old wrinkles and their hair is going back to original colors. For the older ones, they are adding a lot of muscle mass back to more youthful levels. ONE of the things it does is help build the immune system.

            I know the levels of hgh drop off in midlife and so that's what they are trying to counter with the treatments, to bring them back up to effective levels.

            I guess if I had to venture an opinion, I would suggest that most anything that helps the body work better, as long as it doesn't have an interaction with medication being taken, is going to increase the effectiveness of treatments; with hgh giving better muscle mass the heart & circulation are helped; with better immune functions, also the interferon would be aided. With HGH freeing the body to rebuild it's mass much more easily, this would aid rebuilding the liver. To me it just appears to be a great opportunity and I would venture to guess there are a lot of people who have taken hgh in europe who also had to go on intron/pegasys/etc and also kept staying on their hgh supplements. I'd be interested to know how they did versus the rest of the population, if they had better results.

            HGH has been around a very long time, decades; but it hasn't been approved in the same way as in Europe and here you can't get anywhere near the same potency/quality as there.

            This isn't the same as taking dangerous steroids to build up for weight lifting. There's a lot of problems with those things and we've all heard of the tragic stories of early death, disfigurement, and malformations of bone and worse from those things. And children (0-22) should be very careful about taking growth enhancers because their bones are still growing and those can make them get a lot taller and deform them too, whereas it won't do that for a mature adult. I always recommend to one of my nieces not take growth enhancers, like steroids or andro or some "muscle building formulas" until she's closer to 22 years of age than to 16. But for mature adults, taking not steroids, but hgh in European fashion, these are two different things. I believe proper hgh to be a benefit. If anybody has some research, let me know.

            Message 5 of 24 , May 30, 2003
              Hi Greg...

              I'm so far behind in messages you've probably gotten lots of answers to
              this. I don't know of any foods that contribute to fibrosis per se.

              But there are foods that are hard for our liver to breakdown and foods that
              are easy on our livers. Red meats, fried foods, fatty foods are hard for our
              liver to breakdown because of the fat levels.

              Some protein is needed for cell regeneration but there are two different
              views on how much. Some believe high levels are needed but in Chinese
              medicine, low to moderate levels are recommended. Skinless chicken/turkey
              breasts are a good source of protien as are any soy bean products (I've been
              eating soy nut butter lately and it is much better than peanut butter and
              pretty low in fat). Of course veggies and fruits are also important. But one
              thing to be careful of is carrot juice...too much carrot juice can cause
              damage to the liver. No more than 14 ounces should be consumed daily.

              I also saw a message where you mentioned vitamin A. I've been told that
              anything over 15,000iu's can cause damage to the liver. Most good quality
              multi vitamins have 10,000iu's in the daily dose.

              Blessings

              > I have a question. Lots of things in the body can be helped or hurt, sped
              up or slowed down, depending on what we eat/drink along with attitude and
              other factors. So being most easily able to control what I ingest, I am
              wondering what foods & drinks contribute to fibrosis in the liver. I mean,
              if it's ketchup or mustard, or something daily that any of us is using the
              effect would be greater or worse on us, so then it would be good to know
              about diet to protect the liver and immune system. And not only what helps
              or hurts, but what also rebuilds.

              > Has anyone considered using HGH human growth hormone along with other
              treatments? I was speaking about hgh with someone yesterday and they thought
              it was available here just like in Europe, but I haven't heard of any change
              in that matter (for the longest, it's been readily available in European
              spas at around $1000 a shot I believe while not being available in that form
              here in the USA). I used to read a lot on hgh late 80s & early 90s.

              > Sincerely,
              >
              > Greg
              >

              > Open a PayPal Account today for online purchases &/or for Credit/Debit
              Cards

              > Get a $5 Bonus just for signing up & opening an account with a funds
              transfer! Fast & Easy! Pay for auction purchases or buy at 1000s of online
              stores. Click here:
              > https://www.paypal.com/refer/pal=WJXYDUMUSEY8W

            • Space Angel
              Message 6 of 24 , May 30, 2003
                I think tons of sugar, and vitamin C (chocolate & caffeine) are the answers to everything :)

                I'm behind on messages too but just wanted to say hi and remind yall don't forget the good stuff :)

                Now back to our regularly scheduled program.

                Alley
                Grand Prairie, Tx
                HCV+, HBV+
                BLND+

                Message 7 of 24 , May 31, 2003
                  Hi Greg,
                  Yes, I know what hGH is. It has been used in people with HIV who
                  have severe wasting, but it also has side effects, most notably
                  diabetes mellitus. It is really a very powerful hormone and I just
                  don't think I would ever consider taking it unless it was prescribed
                  by a doctor and I was being monitored closely for side effects. I
                  don't recall ever seeing any studies (or even just recommendations
                  from someone taking it) on hGH being used as part of a treatment
                  protocol for HCV. If you have some studies/stories I'd be interested
                  in seeing them, maybe you could post them to the list?

                  http://calendar.yahoo.com
                • w.m.landstra
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jun 1, 2003
                    Hi.The Doc. wrote not to take HGH as the risks involved are yet unknown.In my street lives a retired captain of the merchant navy,he must be in his late seventies,big fellow,lives alone but still keen on the ladies.Once in a while we meet and talk of things gone by.Some time ago when I met him again in the street he told me that he ordered HGH from a internet site in America.That was three weeks ago.Since then the man has changed completely and our street is not so quiet anymore.He started to shave of his beard, dyed his hair,wearing levi-jeans and sneakers, and instead of a pipe smoke.s malboro now.Drives the neighbours crazy with loud house music on his stereo and started to build a rowing boat in his backyard as he planned to row across the atlantic.Worse of all he.s taking up jogging, at sunrise, in a ridicilous orange and purple joggin suit,waking everybody up with his :i.am the greatest: shouting.He can.t leave the ladies alone and instead of just looking at them he now is prop
                    under fifty in our street.The man has completely gone beserk.The neighbourhood has formed a comittee to deal with this problem and there.s a 500 dollar reward for anyone who can come up with a solution.Dutch laws forbids to hve him locked-up,phychiater will not act as they know very little on the effects of HGH and see this as a nice experiment.Somebody suggested to make him believe that he.s Jesus Christ and see himself off to heaven,a 50 dollar suggestion.Why I tell you all this?.Mabye this might serve as a warning to those on the group who.re tempted to take HGH.DONT,eat carrots instead.Willem.

                  • Greg L Newman
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jun 1, 2003
                      Listen, I have heard it all now. Please don't add to hysteria by attributing such behavior to hgh. You haven't eliminated any other possibilties. For one, the reason he started taking hgh may have been why he started acting strange in the neighborhood, so the cause may be himself, not hgh. You haven't eliminated any confounds, but are looking for red flags. Red flags don't make a study or lead to a conclusion, and you certainly have no scientific basis to attribute this one lone person's behavior to hgh.

                      Sounds like he is trying to recapture his youth by most of the actions you described. Probably he's thinking about how old he's getting and he's doing all he knows how to fight it. But there's no way to determine that hgh has sent him running amok. Most likely, since hgh is produced by the human body anyway, increasing or decreasing those levels isn't going be introducing some totally new ingredient into the mix.

                      I remember this type of talk about Vitamin E back in the 60's. Everyone told me it would KILL ME. Yes, the DEADLY VITAMIN E. ONLY TAKE a tiny bit. Greg, it will kill you. LOL, ok. I'm still here, it's 2003, and I just took a BATH in it last night. A BATH in it. If you saw me, you would NEVER guess my age. So .....

                      Can we get a little more scientific here about hgh. My degrees in Psychology do not permit me to entertain such wild speculation and certainly not thin conclusions/recommendations UNsupported by any type of data. That's why I'm here. Because this support group looks for the science, the facts.

                      Willem, I have a friend up the street who drinks Lone Star beer and wow is he wild. His hair is over a foot long, he falls asleep in front of the tv and when awake sometimes yells so loud it hurts. Tell all lyour friends to avoid Lone Star Beer. I will try to get Charlie to switch to Michelob.

                        Message 11 of 24 , Jun 1, 2003
                          Willem, your advice is taken with great consideration!
                          Your Hep c free friend,
                          Donna

                        • GWhel@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 24 , Jun 1, 2003
                            I enjoyed the levity, Willem.

                            Gene

                          • Greg L Newman

                              Message 14 of 24 , Jun 2, 2003
                                Hi.Thanks Donna.Eat the carrots and we become happy rabbits in a Hep-free Alice in wonderland.Willem.

                                Message 15 of 24 , Jun 2, 2003
                                  Hi.Sorry for my unscientific approach to HGH.Willem.

                                • w.m.landstra

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Jun 2, 2003
                                      I believed your joke!! It sounded plausible to me-like an American hit with
                                      a bad case of mid-life crisis. I have to admit though, that I was wondering
                                      what kind of sleepy neighborhood you lived in for your neighbors to be so up
                                      in arms about the man.

                                      gail

                                      Jokes on me, eh? I am RELIEVED you weren't serious, Willem. And yes, I
                                      also can see it was/is funny. From now on I will try to take you with a
                                      larger grain of salt right off the bat. But seriously, I didn't see how you
                                      could really believe what you were writing. I hoped there was a catch, but I
                                      could write/have written volumes on some people who don't need a reason.
                                      Maybe I shouldn't have given up coffee those many years ago. :-<

                                      Open a PayPal Account today for online purchases &/or for Credit/Debit
                                      Cards

                                      Get a $5 Bonus just for signing up & opening an account with a funds
                                      transfer! Fast & Easy! Pay for auction purchases or buy at 1000s of online
                                      stores. Click here:
                                      https://www.paypal.com/refer/pal=WJXYDUMUSEY8W
                                      <https://www.paypal.com/refer/pal=WJXYDUMUSEY8W>

                                      <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=244522.3313099.4604523.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17050616
                                      98:HM/A=1595054/R=0/SIG=124km4b11/*http://ashnin.com/clk/muryutaitakenattogy
                                      o?YH=3313099&yhad=1595054> Click Here!

                                      <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=244522.3313099.4604523.1261774/D=egroupmai
                                      l/S=:HM/A=1595054/rand=581983358>

                                      <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
                                    • Greg L Newman

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Jun 2, 2003
                                          Gail, you think that joke was something? I tell you, there's a guy in San Antone who is riding his bike through the park and now the neighborhoods and I hear he's moving into the whole city "ass" his playground. Ass? Well, that's just me being somewhat accurate. You see, he's doing it in a thong.

                                          I don't know where he puts his money. In a bag tied onto the bike? and if he gets excited, I don't think that thong is going to cover much.

                                          Why is he doing it? I don't know. He's 55, prob had some of Willem hgh treatments, and oh, yeah, they closed down most of the nude bars last month and he's probably a former patron.

                                          Now that is real life. Sheesh, he's even out of my neighborhood, Highland Hills, Southeast Side. I know the human body is a thing of beauty, but I hear him described as a thing, period. That thing out there on the bike, that crazy thing, who does he thnk he is. Etc.

                                          Greg:

                                          PS: NO, I won't send anyone a jpeg of him. For crying out loud.

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Jun 2, 2003
                                            I thought it was pretty good...but then, that's me. I'm always willing to
                                            open my mind to alternative treatments. I have found a great deal of help in
                                            alternative medicine. But it is dangerous to mess with growth
                                            hormones...geesh, what if they helped the virus grow too....

                                            Message 21 of 24 , Jun 2, 2003
                                              Gail...you should know Willem better than that <g>

                                              Message 22 of 24 , Jun 3, 2003
                                                No-I am very gullible. Quite easy to lie to-at least at first.

                                                gail

                                                <
                                                http://rd.yahoo.com/M=244522.3313099.4604523.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17050616
                                                <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=244522.3313099.4604523.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17050616

                                                98:HM/A=1595054/R=0/SIG=124km4b11/*
                                                http://ashnin.com/clk/muryutaitakenattogy
                                                <http://ashnin.com/clk/muryutaitakenattogy>
                                                > o?YH=3313099&yhad=1595054> Click Here!

                                                <
                                                http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=244522.3313099.4604523.1261774/D=egroupmai
                                                <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=244522.3313099.4604523.1261774/D=egroupmai

                                                > l/S=:HM/A=1595054/rand=581983358>

                                                > < http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> >
                                                .

                                                <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>

                                                <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=244522.3313099.4604523.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17050616
                                                98:HM/A=1595055/R=0/SIG=1240u9le2/*http://ashnin.com/clk/muryutaitakenattogy
                                                o?YH=3313099&yhad=1595055> Click Here!

                                                <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=244522.3313099.4604523.1261774/D=egroupmai
                                                l/S=:HM/A=1595055/rand=474359563>

                                                Message 23 of 24 , Jun 3, 2003
                                                  I have to state I think the jury is out on hgh because you can't eliminate a potential aid to treatment by speculation, just research. That's what I am asking about .... R-E-S-E-A-R-C-H.

                                                  I am well aware of the FEARS associated with hgh. I am not referring to those. I am asking about documented or planned research with HGH and Hep C. If there is none, fine. But I really, r-e-a-l-l-y, am not interested in just opinions, though we all have one and they can be right. No drug gets approved based on such opinions, but on scientific research progress.

                                                  I am not championing the cause for it.
                                                  I am not telling people to go out and load up on it.
                                                  I am not trusting anything about it but what facts I can find.

                                                  That's about as plain as I can state it. Please don't anyone email me again telling me not to touch it with a 10 foot pole or anything else. But I would greatly, GREATLY, appreciate links to research about it. As the line goes, "Just the facts, please."

                                                  I guess I don't want people to be advising me to NOT take it as well as some don't want to be advising others to take it. I'm not in those two roles. I really prefer to be dealing either with the researchers themselves, their publications, or those who are closely following them. If that's not you, I'm glad you have an opinion, but I don't care to hear it because ... even if your opinion is as big as King Kong, it won't help me to make an E-D-U-C-A-T-E-D decision about it.

                                                  Please dear God, I hope that helps,

                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Jun 3, 2003
                                                    --- Greg L Newman <greglnewman@...> wrote:
                                                    Please don't anyone email
                                                    > me again telling me not to touch it with a 10 foot pole or anything
                                                    > else. But I would greatly, GREATLY, appreciate links to research
                                                    > about it. As the line goes, "Just the facts, please."

                                                    As far as I know there is NO research on the use of hGH in people
                                                    with hepatitis C, and I try to stay on top of the newest studies
                                                    reported, and have been for several years. I haven't seen anything at
                                                    all. I don't think you are going to find any REAL studies or
                                                    research, pro OR con. There have been some studies done for those who
                                                    have HIV but that's about it, except for using it in people for whom
                                                    it was intended. If there has been no research on it's use in people
                                                    with HCV then there is no way to legitimately evaluate it's effect on
                                                    the virus or the liver, and the only thing to go on as far as risks
                                                    or side effects of hGH would be from research done when it is used
                                                    for other conditions. You could go to this web site and do a search:
                                                    http://www.natap.org/ They stay on top of all the newest studies
                                                    about HCV and HIV, and co-infection of HIV/HCV, so if any place were
                                                    to have it I would think they would be the place to go.
                                                    Good luck,
                                                    Claudine

                                                    PS: You live in my old stomping grounds. I still have to take a
                                                    stroll through McCreless Mall every once in a while for old times sake.

                                                    http://calendar.yahoo.com