Anyone ever have to go on Procrit? SOS!!!

  • AnitaAndDavis@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , May 14, 2003
      Hi All,
      Help!
      Anyone ever have to go on Procrit? Her hemogloben has dropped down below 800
      and they are lowering her dose of Ribaviran to
      4 pills instead of 5. She is undectable and is 1A in Genotype.

      If so how much was it and how many shots did you
      have to take?

      Did anyone get it through their Mail order Pharmacy? Our insurance is saying
      it has to be picked up at a pharmacy at a walk in store and the price is to
      the tune of $250 a shot 3 times a week. If it could be delivered we would
      get a much better deal....

      Did you experience any side effects? Did you feel better or worse on it?

      Looking for answers,

      Anita
    • Mscue40@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , May 14, 2003
        HI Anita, I am a bit confused. There has been medicine for hep c that
        requires only 1 shot a week for a year. I just finished it. It is Peg-intron.

        I took 120 mcg weekly (the Peg-intron) and 800 mg daily of ribiviarin.
        I am 1a and was undetectable at 16 weeks..
        I believe there is a weight chart for how much medicine is needed.
        I know there is a man here Gene who had to take procit.
        The treatment is strong medicine and there are numerous side effects.
        You did contact your insurance and they have no mail delivery service?
        When I switched to mail delivery it cut my costs tremendously.
        Sincerely,
        Donna

      • Patricia J. Hauldren
        Message 3 of 8 , May 14, 2003
          my ins company had mine delivered every 3 mo Fed Ex

          Alley
          alleypat@...

        • Claudia Kane
          Message 4 of 8 , May 14, 2003
            Aloha Anita,
            I am on week 32 of my treatments and have been on Procrit since week 8. With hemoglobin that low, procrit is really needed.
            Procrit is a once-weekly shot and usually you need to do it for the duration of treatment. It is expensive (an example is I am on an individual insurance plan as I am self-employed and have to pay 30% of injectables - $545 for 4 vials is my co-pay). Because of the cost issue, I did try every other week, but it wasn't enough...now we are trying every 10 days.
            It definitely has made a difference in my quality of life. No leg aches and lots more energy. Not winded anymore either. I haven't experienced any side-effects except that it does smart when the shot is given.
            Claudia

            Message 5 of 8 , May 14, 2003
              Anita,

              Hi. I'm also 1a. My hemoglobin dropped while on combo. I injected procrit
              once a week (epoetin alfa, recomb 40,000 units/ml).

              I think it was the ribavirin that dropped my red blood count. My arms would
              get tired immediately as soon as I raised them in the shower to wash my hair.
              Had never felt so weak. The procrit brought my hemoglobin back up closer to a
              normal level. There weren't really any side effects, not in comparison to the
              combo and the neupogen injections that raise your absolute neutrophil count.

              Even though my viral load dropped from 850,000 to 133,000, the VA took me off
              combo after 22 weeks. I wanted to continue but was told the combo wasn't
              working for me and that I should wait for new technology.

              I'm patiently waiting. Protease inhibitors are looking good.

              I'm a little confused about the 800 figure you were talking about concerning
              the hemoglobin....and the more than one shot weekly of the Procrit. One shot
              a week did the trick for me.

              Hope this helps. You can look up any info on Procrit.com.

              Gene

            • AnitaAndDavis@aol.com
              Message 6 of 8 , May 15, 2003
                Dear Claudia,

                And all others who wrote me back about the procrit

                Thank you so much! It has give me the info I need... Now if I can just get
                the price down.

                Pray for us please.

                Love

                Anita
                moderator/owner

              • AnitaAndDavis@aol.com
                Message 7 of 8 , May 15, 2003
                  Hi Donna,

                  Davis is on Pegesys... and needs to take Procrit because her blood level has
                  gone down so low.. Hemoglobin... in particular..

                  We just broke down and are in the process of getting 1 vial today.. at a
                  whopping $565.00..

                  all this and no fortune cookie..

                  Gonna inject her as soon as I get it... and will keep you posted.

                  Thanks for the input.

                  Anita

                • Mzgee1@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 24, 2003
                    Dear Anita, sorry this is so late in coming but have been off my mail for a
                    couple of weeks. Yes, I had to take Procrit while on standard combo. My count
                    went below 8 also. I dropped like a bomb only 2 weeks into Tx and tried to
                    regain red cells using Vit.C, E & Folic Acid...to no avail. Was put on procrit
                    about 2 months into Tx for the duration (13 months). I was on 40,000 units
                    weekly. I got it at my pharmacy & had it injected at the Hemotologist's
                    office. I did have some sides...can't really remember now (been off tx since
                    Aug.2001 & procrit a month later.) But I think I had headaches...altho it was hard
                    to tell what sides came from what drugs! My Riba was lowered to 3 pills
                    daily. Whenever we tried to increse, my counts would drop and I would usually end
                    up puking alot. But I have to say, there was nothing worse than dropping
                    counts really fast. I couldn't get out of bed, short of breath, dizzy and just
                    felt really crappy...so the Procrit is defiitely worht doing. Good luck to
                    you, gee