RE: [GIWorld-Hepatitis] smoking

  • Gail Samples
    Message 1 of 11 , May 14, 2003
      Willem-

      I haven't smoked for around 8 yrs now. I finally stopped because I had
      realized how bad the cigarette smoke makes you smell. So for around a year
      I was exhaling the smoke and trying to dodge it so as not to smell quite so
      smokey. I felt very foolish doing that and kept imagining ridiculous images
      of myself trying to run away from the smoke, and that was what enabled me to
      quit. You have to reach a point in your life where your desire to quit is
      stronger than the addiction- or as they say in NA & AA- 'you are sick and
      tired of being sick' and you've 'hit your rock bottom'. Good luck

      gail

      Message 2 of 11 , May 14, 2003
        I never saw the original to this message. Yes, kicking cigs is awfully hard.
        And it's not the nicotine that is so difficult but the habit as you said.
        The nicotine withdrawal takes only 7 days and only a couple of those days
        are bad. It's not smoking at all the times you usually have a cig that's the
        hard part.

        So to whoever is quitting...good luck and remember if you don't succeed this
        time, you are one step closer to when you will succeed.

        Message 3 of 11 , May 14, 2003
          I quit smoking almost 11 years ago - it will be 11 years on Sept.
          1st. It was the hardest thing I ever did. Nicotine addiction is
          different for everyone, but I have seen it compared to cocaine in
          it's addictive qualities. I quit once before - while I was pregnant,
          and stopped for 3 years. I never quit craving cigarettes, and after 3
          years I thought I could be like a friend of mine and just smoke one
          or two every once in a while. NOPE! Not me! I was right back to my
          one pack a day habit just as though I had never quit at all. On the
          other hand, my father, who smoked non-filtered Camel's for 40+ years
          just layed them down one day and never picked one up again! Then
          there is also the habit which must be broken.

          When my husband and I decided to quit we started in advance. First we
          quit smoking in our house, and also didn't allow anyone else to smoke
          in our house either. And that meant no matter what the weather we
          went outside to smoke. Eventually we decided on a quit date (our
          anniversary.) We bought some "One Step" filters, a package of 4. Each
          filter gradually reduces the amount of tar and nicotine that you
          inhale from each cigarette. We gave ourselves 8 weeks - 2 weeks for
          each filter. By the time we got to filter #4 it was real work to
          smoke a cigarette! It was almost a relief when our 'quit day' came.
          No, it wasn't a magic cure - I still craved cigarettes for a long
          time, but it did help. (As a matter of fact, I STILL occasionally
          crave a cigarette, especially in a stressful situation, but I know
          from past experience I can't have even one!) Knowing my husband was
          looking over my shoulder helped too.

          I don't know about these new products (patches, gum) which contain
          nicotine and supposedly you gradually cut down. I don't know one
          single person who has quit by using these products. I think the most
          important factor in quiting is the REAL desire to quit. You have to
          really want to!

          http://search.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 11 , May 14, 2003
            Amen Claudine....once again you are so right. I haven't even tried to stop smoking cuz I know I don't have the REAL desire yet. Still need that crutch. My Dad quit smoking one day....he always kept a pack in his pocket but never smoked again. I was about 10 years old when he quit and I can't even remember him ever smoking. It seems for some reason to be easier for men, at least it seems like it to me. It is definitely the habit that's the hardest. I gave up drinking, I have even a long, long, time ago quit hard drugs. But I had the REAL desire to do so. I've heard of a new stop smoking program called smoke-away....it comes with a warranty so that's the route I'd try.....and will try....when I am ready.

              Message 6 of 11 , May 15, 2003
                Try substituting a cinnamon stick for the cigarette.

                Message 7 of 11 , May 15, 2003
                  Good luck, Willem....my thoughts will be with you to give you strength to
                  beat this habit.

                  Message 8 of 11 , May 15, 2003
                    Good for you! Hang in there, and if things get tough we're here.

                    Message 9 of 11 , May 15, 2003
                      Way to Go Willem....and tons of good luck...I'm cheering for you.....and very proud of you too ;-)