Re: [GIWorld-Hepatitis] smoking

  • Mscue40@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , May 14, 2003
      I have quit 2 times. The last time I quit I only felt terrible for 2 days.
      The habit is what is horribly difficult to overcome.
      You can do it if you really want to.
      Best of Luck to you!
      Donna

    • Gail Samples
      Message 2 of 11 , May 14, 2003
        Willem-

        I haven't smoked for around 8 yrs now. I finally stopped because I had
        realized how bad the cigarette smoke makes you smell. So for around a year
        I was exhaling the smoke and trying to dodge it so as not to smell quite so
        smokey. I felt very foolish doing that and kept imagining ridiculous images
        of myself trying to run away from the smoke, and that was what enabled me to
        quit. You have to reach a point in your life where your desire to quit is
        stronger than the addiction- or as they say in NA & AA- 'you are sick and
        tired of being sick' and you've 'hit your rock bottom'. Good luck

        gail

        Message 3 of 11 , May 14, 2003
          I never saw the original to this message. Yes, kicking cigs is awfully hard.
          And it's not the nicotine that is so difficult but the habit as you said.
          The nicotine withdrawal takes only 7 days and only a couple of those days
          are bad. It's not smoking at all the times you usually have a cig that's the
          hard part.

          So to whoever is quitting...good luck and remember if you don't succeed this
          time, you are one step closer to when you will succeed.

          Message 4 of 11 , May 14, 2003
            I quit smoking almost 11 years ago - it will be 11 years on Sept.
            1st. It was the hardest thing I ever did. Nicotine addiction is
            different for everyone, but I have seen it compared to cocaine in
            it's addictive qualities. I quit once before - while I was pregnant,
            and stopped for 3 years. I never quit craving cigarettes, and after 3
            years I thought I could be like a friend of mine and just smoke one
            or two every once in a while. NOPE! Not me! I was right back to my
            one pack a day habit just as though I had never quit at all. On the
            other hand, my father, who smoked non-filtered Camel's for 40+ years
            just layed them down one day and never picked one up again! Then
            there is also the habit which must be broken.

            When my husband and I decided to quit we started in advance. First we
            quit smoking in our house, and also didn't allow anyone else to smoke
            in our house either. And that meant no matter what the weather we
            went outside to smoke. Eventually we decided on a quit date (our
            anniversary.) We bought some "One Step" filters, a package of 4. Each
            filter gradually reduces the amount of tar and nicotine that you
            inhale from each cigarette. We gave ourselves 8 weeks - 2 weeks for
            each filter. By the time we got to filter #4 it was real work to
            smoke a cigarette! It was almost a relief when our 'quit day' came.
            No, it wasn't a magic cure - I still craved cigarettes for a long
            time, but it did help. (As a matter of fact, I STILL occasionally
            crave a cigarette, especially in a stressful situation, but I know
            from past experience I can't have even one!) Knowing my husband was
            looking over my shoulder helped too.

            I don't know about these new products (patches, gum) which contain
            nicotine and supposedly you gradually cut down. I don't know one
            single person who has quit by using these products. I think the most
            important factor in quiting is the REAL desire to quit. You have to
            really want to!

            http://search.yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 11 , May 14, 2003
              Amen Claudine....once again you are so right. I haven't even tried to stop smoking cuz I know I don't have the REAL desire yet. Still need that crutch. My Dad quit smoking one day....he always kept a pack in his pocket but never smoked again. I was about 10 years old when he quit and I can't even remember him ever smoking. It seems for some reason to be easier for men, at least it seems like it to me. It is definitely the habit that's the hardest. I gave up drinking, I have even a long, long, time ago quit hard drugs. But I had the REAL desire to do so. I've heard of a new stop smoking program called smoke-away....it comes with a warranty so that's the route I'd try.....and will try....when I am ready.

                Message 7 of 11 , May 15, 2003
                  Try substituting a cinnamon stick for the cigarette.

                  Message 8 of 11 , May 15, 2003
                    Good luck, Willem....my thoughts will be with you to give you strength to
                    beat this habit.

                    Message 9 of 11 , May 15, 2003
                      Good for you! Hang in there, and if things get tough we're here.

                      Message 10 of 11 , May 15, 2003
                        Way to Go Willem....and tons of good luck...I'm cheering for you.....and very proud of you too ;-)