Re: [GIWorld-Hepatitis] Re: Alternative Medications May Help Prevent or Delay Onset of Liver Scar Tissue in Patients with Chronic Hepatitis

  • Ron Miller d.b.a. Country TV
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 3, 2003
      I have not received any mail from GI WORLD since 3-26,what is going on.

      Country TV
      Ron Miller
      Inez, TX. 77968

      Delay Onset of Liver Scar Tissue in Patients with Chronic Hepatitis

      > Hi
      > I think it might be interested to read
      > the senegalese (African) perspective about
      > viral hepatitis and H .I .V.
      > I will be glad to forward it .
      > Contact me at amadygu@...
      >

      > Thanks

      > --- In GIWorld-Hepatitis@yahoogroups.com, "AlleyPat"
      > <patriciajean@a...> wrote:
      > > Alternative Medications May Help Prevent or Delay Onset of Liver
      > Scar Tissue in Patients with Chronic Hepatitis
      > >
      > > Jacquelyn J. Maher, MD, from the University of California in San
      > Francisco presented exciting data regarding the efficacy of herbal
      > products and nutritional supplements in preventing or delaying the
      > formation of scar tissue (fibrosis and cirrhosis) in the liver of
      > patients with chronic hepatitis. Dr Maher spoke at the postgraduate
      > course in Dallas held in conjunction with the annual meeting of the
      > American Association for the Study of Liver Disease (AASLD).
      > >
      > > Now that the basic process of how the liver lays down scar tissue
      > is known, research can be done to determine if different compounds
      > can stop the liver from developing scar tissue. Vitamin E supplements
      > were found to be effective in diminishing the amount of liver scar
      > tissue that developed in rats exposed to a poison that causes
      > cirrhosis.
      > >
      > > Silymarin, which is the active component of milk thistle was
      > studied in 1989 in patients with liver cirrhosis secondary to alcohol
      > and found to be beneficial. The Japanese compound sho-saiko-to also
      > known as TJ-9, which is a mixture of different herbal products, has
      > been found to reduce scar tissue in rats with cirrhosis by 25%. In
      > addition, it appears to have anti-tumor effects, decreasing the risk
      > of cancer. As the knowledge about liver injury increases, we will
      > likely find more traditional and alternative medical products that
      > may prevent or improve cirrhosis in patients with chronic liver
      > disease.
      > >

      > > 11/9/99
      > >
      > > Reference
      > >
      > > Jorge Herrera, MD
      > > 50th Annual Meeting of the American Association for the Study of
      > Liver Diseases (AASLD) November 5 - 9, 1999, Dallas, Texas
      > >

      > > http://hivandhepatitis.com/hep_c/news/110599b.html

    • w.m.landstra

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 3, 2003
          Me either Ron, maybe just slow? I've been so busy I haven't been paying much attention lately.

          Alley
          Grand Prairie, Tx

        • Patricia J. Hauldren
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 3, 2003
            poor Willem!

            Hey I've had that rash going on 2 years now. Glad yours is getting better!