Claudia Kane/ALLY

  • PMGilbertson@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 12, 2003
      > Claudia Kane" <claudia@...>
      > Subject: INFO: H.I.V. Lessons Used in Hepatitis C Treatment

      HEY Claudia when ya post some thing like this please put in the addy where ya
      found it + any other addys attached... Makes follow up real easy.. THANKS A
      BUNCH Pete G

      Ally I am sorry but it was me dat said something about wellbutrin. NOT
      willem..

      Well, Willem all that I've read looks like it shouldn't be a problem for me.
      I have a pretty good liver (mild inflamation fib 0 and of course that's give
      or take about 20%).

      and I still stick ta my guns about wellbutrin not being well suited for
      Heppers. here is a cut from your letter..

      WELLBUTRIN SR should be used with caution in patients with hepatic impairment
      (including mild to moderate hepatic cirrhosis) and a reduced frequency and/or
      dose should be considered in patients with mild to moderate hepatic cirrhosis
      (see CLINICAL PHARMACOLOGY, WARNINGS, and PRECAUTIONS).

      ""Wellbutrin - Digestive: Infrequent were abnormal liver function, bruxism,
      gastric reflux, gingivitis, glossitis, increased salivation, jaundice, mouth
      ulcers, stomatitis, and thirst. Rare was edema of tongue. Also observed were
      colitis, esophagitis, gastrointestinal hemorrhage, gum hemorrhage, hepatitis,
      intestinal perforation, liver damage, pancreatitis, and stomach ulcer.""

      Pete G.

      "Chance favors the prepared mind"
      Louis Pasteur

      ** If you can't be a good example then you have to be a horrible warning**

      Da YOOPER

    • Claudia Kane
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 12, 2003
        Pete,
        This was found on the New York Times website. Here is the addy for the article, but I don't know how long it wil be available before they archive it:
        http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/11/health/policy/11HEPA.html?tntemail1
        Claudia
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 12, 2003
          I'm so far behind in mail...got laid off and have an interview for a job with intensive excel so have been spending my days and nights learning the advanced features of excel before I'm tested on it at the interview tomorrow. So I missed the beginning of this thread.

          There are several antidepressants that you can take. I had a friend on tx who took selexa and thinks the world of it. I was on prozac before,during and after tx but during an extremely stressful time I stopped responding to it. My doc put me on Elavil/Amitriptyline which also promotes stage 4 sleep and I've been much better since going on it. It was Claudine who had suggested it and it has worked wonders with me. And I'm sure glad it had kicked in before I got laid off because I don't know what would have happened to me had my world come crashing down on me while I was so depressed.

          Everyone responds differently to different antidepressents so you may have to switch until you find the one that is right for you. But make sure your doctor is aware of any effects it might have on the liver...or talk to a phamacist...they are much more knowledgeable when it comes to drugs.

          And it sounds like your liver is in good shape so you shouldn't have to be overly concerned with short term anything. I missed what your genotype was but no matter, bottom line is you will beat this dragon and have a full and happy life.

          Blessings
          HEY Claudia when ya post some thing like this please put in the addy where ya
          found it + any other addys attached... Makes follow up real easy.. THANKS A
          BUNCH Pete G

          Ally I am sorry but it was me dat said something about wellbutrin. NOT
          willem..

          Well, Willem all that I've read looks like it shouldn't be a problem for me.

        • Patricia J. Hauldren
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 12, 2003
            My apologies WILLEM!!!!

            I'm so blonde :)

            Wellbutrin works so very well for me, if I were unable to take it, I'd be in a world of wierdness. I can't take SSRI's, my liver is good (no cirrhosis, won't have to worry about that for my lifetime given the current rate of progression).

            Yep, I take DRUGS and I'm proud of it haaaaaaaaa. What else does a 47 yr old ex-hippie got to look forward to? (kidding)

            I also drink alcohol occasionally, very occasionally but I do now and then. I certainly did while in Holland! :)

            I also smoke pot occasionally.

            I also inhale multiple carcinogens in the atmosphere daily. I fry my food and eat the black crust.

            I eat sugar and chocolate cuz that's what I'm adicted to :)

            To Tat .... there are 2 different types of antidepressants (that I know of) - SSRI's (Celexa, Zoloft, Paxil, Effexor, etc) & the ones that act on Dopamine (Wellbutrin/Zyban) (I don't know of any others that act on dopamine?). I cannot take the SSRI's. The ones that act on dopamine are the ones I need and I only know of Wellbutrin/Zyban (same drug I think, sold differently, Zyban is for smokers, Wellbutrin is the anti d version).

            As for switching, I've done Zoloft, Celexa, Effexor and all act the same way, I get a sort of "serotonin syndrome" where I'm groggy all the time (even months and months after taking them), moody, depressed etc. When I finally saw a shrink a year ago last fall, she knew immediately that I would not react well to SSRI's, cuz they work on the serotonin and that's not what works for me. This is a clinic that specializes in chronic conditions, so I didn't have to explain my hep c sides, my fibro, my chronic fatigue, my sinusitis, my bronichits, my whatever. For the first time THEY knew more than i did about Hep C and it's come along buddy sides.

            So, yes, if you have a bad liver, DONT take anything that could hurt that. Just because someone has a positive viral load doesn't mean they have a bad liver. Some people assume the to equate but they don't. There are life changes for all heppers of course, regardless of liver damage.

            I also feel that if your liver is good, DON"T do treatment. I've talked to people who have permanent health problems due to treatment. Some heppers have no choice and must chance the treatment. But for some, the ones with good livers, the treatment problems could be worse than the hep c. I'm one of those people who didn't have to do treatment, but did, thinking I'd love to get rid of this darn virus! and came away with chronic hives. Had them almost 2 years now. Anyway want them? They are on sale CHEAP hahaha.

            OK I've ranted enough. My tea is ready (ICE tea yall, this is Texas and it's in the 70's got all the windows open).

            hugs to you all :))

            Alley
            Grand Prairie, Tx