Mariposa

  • Mark Middle Mountain
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 7, 2003
      Mariposa

      Edna St. Vincent Millay

      Butterflies are white and blue
      In this field we wander through.
      Suffer me to take your hand.
      Death comes in a day or two.

      All the things we ever knew
      Will be ashes in that hour,
      Mark the transient butterfly,
      How he hangs upon the flower.

      Suffer me to take your hand.
      Suffer me to cherish you
      Till the dawn is in the sky.
      Whether I be false or true,
      Death comes in a day or two.
    • srw1954@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 8, 2003
        Mark,
        thank you so much for that wonderful poem. I was moved to tears as it
        brought to mind my recent memories of my mother's passing. She passed on
        January 29th, just 5 or 6 weeks ago, and I was by her side for the past two
        days of her life, with her as she breathed her last breath. An incredible
        experience that I will always cherish.
        Again, thank you.
        --Sara

        Here's one that my partner and I especially love as well.

        Have you got a brook in your little heart,
        Where bashful flowers blow,
        And blushing birds go down to drink,
        And shadows tremble so?

        -Emily Dickinson

        Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 20:56:01 -0500
           From: "Mark Middle Mountain" <gourdmad@...>
        Subject: Mariposa

      • Mzgee1@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 8, 2003
          Dear Sara, I am so sorry to hear of your mom's death. Yes, it feels very
          holy to be with someone you love as they die. I was with my grandma, dad and
          stepson. Though some pictures remain in my mind that I'd rather not see, I
          feel so blessed to have been with each of them. Your poem was beautiful. I
          love Emily Dickinson too. God bless you with peace and help you to recall
          joyfilled memories of your mom. Love, gee

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 8, 2003
            Sara....I also am so sorry to hear this. I know how hard it is....I lost my Mom in 1992 and I still haven't really gotten over it....I cry every Feb. 6th....I cry every Nov. 8th which was her birthday. We were very, very close. I am so heartbroken for you Sara...hang in sweetie.

            Dear Sara, I am so sorry to hear of your mom's death. Yes, it feels very
            holy to be with someone you love as they die. I was with my grandma, dad and
            stepson. Though some pictures remain in my mind that I'd rather not see, I
            feel so blessed to have been with each of them. Your poem was beautiful. I
            love Emily Dickinson too. God bless you with peace and help you to recall
            joyfilled memories of your mom. Love, gee

          • Patricia J. Hauldren
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 8, 2003
              Beautiful. I'm working on a Tarot Card for an art swap and I'll post it in a few, and this poem fits right in with it.

            • srw1954@aol.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 10, 2003
                Gee, Carol, Alley,
                I truly appreciate all of your sweet words of support and sympathy regarding
                the passing of my mom. I'm feeling much better as time and life goes on,
                although I still have, and will continue to have, intense periods of grief
                well up in me as images and memories of her appear.
                Gee, I'm sorry to hear of your grandma, dad and stepson, but glad for you
                that you could be there when they passed. And Carol, sounds like your mom
                was special to you too. Alley, I'd love to see your Tarot card that relates
                or incorporates to the poem (which one, Edna's or Emily's?) when you have it
                done.
                I sent Edna's poem to my family, who were also all by my mother's side when
                she passed, and my sister wrote back..."wonderful poem that says it all about
                life... and death.... and each other.... "
                peace to all of you,
                Sara

                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 10, 2003
                  Well guess I missed something...but that's not surprising. After being laid off...again...I've been in a haze of fear.

                  My sincere condolences for the loss of your mother. It is very hard to lose a parent...after all, they have been with you all your life...and I know the pain and grief you must be experiencing.

                  Blessings