Re: hepatitis c - question

  • catom27 <catom27@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 25, 2003
      hi,
      thank you so much for your help.
      if you know of any other studies on the subject i'll apriciate it.

      thanks again.

      --- In GIWorld-Hepatitis@yahoogroups.com, "Doc" <gidoc@s...> wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > Hep C is not so easily transmited sexually( even in heterosexuals)
      but no complacency can be assumed.

      > I would advise following cautions:
      > Avoid close contact with any open wounds or cuts, dont share nail
      clippers, toothbrushes or any devices/toys which can have blood on
      them, bottomline being avoiding any contact with blood of the
      infected person. Use of dental dams as protection for oral sex may be
      useful.

      > Since you asked specifically only about Hep C, I am quoting one
      report that reveals that lesbian may have a risk of Hep C
      transmission.
      > A total of 1,408 women who reported ever having sex with another
      woman(WSW) were compared with 1,423 women who had never had sex with
      a woman. The women had all attended the Sydney Sexual Health Center
      between 1991 and 1998. Only seven percent of the WSW or 283 women
      reported no sex with a male in the past 12 months (exclusive WSW) --
      25 percent of these WSW reported never having had sex with a man.
      Results were published in the October issue of the journal of
      Sexually Transmitted Diseases.

      > While genital warts and gonorrhea were found less often in WSW, BV
      was significantly more prevalent among WSW than controls (eight
      percent versus five percent), as was hepatitis C (five percent versus
      less than one percent).