Re: [GIWorld-Hepatitis] Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis

  • Gail Samples
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 28, 2003
      Vicky-

      Lecithin would be a good supplement to try-it comes in a coarse powder
      form(much like corn meal) or as a gel-cap. Supposedly it helps the liver
      handle fats. I'll have to look it up again as I can't really remember its
      exact action. Many heppers take milk thistle and/or alpha-lipoic acid.

      gail

      From: Vicky Riley <vickyrileymckay@...>

      I was wondering if there are any vitamins that you have taken to help with
      healing the liver. I just started taking Vitamin E recently so I do not
      have any kind of report yet. Good luck and I hope your condition will
      improve.

    • Vicky Riley
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 29, 2003
        Thanks gail for the good advice. I am definitely going to get some of the Lecithin and Milk Thistle this weekend.
        Thanks Vicky
        Gail Samples <gailsamples@...> wrote:Vicky-

        From: Vicky Riley <vickyrileymckay@...>

        I was wondering if there are any vitamins that you have taken to help with
        healing the liver. I just started taking Vitamin E recently so I do not
        have any kind of report yet. Good luck and I hope your condition will
        improve.

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 31, 2003
          Dear Vicky, While on treatment, I took Vitamins C,E and Folic Acid. That was
          mainly to help keep red blood cell production up. Once I began Procrit, I
          stopped the vitamins simply because I was on too many meds and couldn't stand
          taking anythng more than I had to. But my mom swears by Vit E and takes it
          faithfully. I should take a hint from her example! (She's 80!)
          Unfortunately, diabetes med she was on has caused cirhosis of her
          liver...seems incredible that 3 people in 1 family can have liver disease
          from 3 different sources! It is 4:41 am and I am wide awake..have been since
          about 2..grrrr. Think I'll see if I can get some sleep. God Bless, gee

          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 31, 2003
            Vitamin E Normalizes Elevated Liver Enzymes in
            Children With Steatohepatitis

            WESTPORT, Jul 07 (Reuters Health) - When children with
            steatohepatitis are given daily oral vitamin E
            supplementation, elevated liver enzymes normalize
            within 1 to 3 months.

            Dr. Joel E. Lavine from the University of California,
            in San Diego, followed 11 children ages 8.3 to 14.2
            years who were diagnosed with steatohepatitis and
            whose aminotransferase levels were elevated. On
            ultrasound, the children's livers were diffusely
            echogenic. All children presented with a body mass
            index above the 95th percentile for their age and sex;
            no other cause of liver diseases was found.

            Before treatment, "serum alanine aminotransferase and
            aspartate aminotransferase were approximately 3.9
            times and 2.3 times the upper limit of normal,
            respectively," Dr. Lavine and his colleagues note.

            According to results published in the June issue of
            The Journal of Pediatrics, five children achieved
            normal enzyme levels at the dosage of 400 IU/day. Four
            required 800 IU/day, and two required 1200 IU/day. Two
            children who discontinued vitamin E treatment
            experienced re-elevation of aminotransferase levels
            within the next 2 months.

            Ultrasound appearance of the liver remained unchanged
            even after liver enzymes were normalized. Dr. Lavine
            writes, "One can speculate that steatosis persists but
            inflammation may resolve."

            He recommends that "obese children with nonalcoholic
            steatohepatitis should be encouraged to lose weight as
            part of a comprehensive weight reduction program and
            to consider taking supplemental alpha-tocopherol."

            J Pediatr 2000;136:734-738

            http://mailplus.yahoo.com