My little update...and a thank you

    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 21, 2003
      The trip to the clinic yesterday was another disaster and still didn't make any progress...they even lost my thyroid results and had to pull my blood again. Dah....

      But....things are okay thanks to all of you who responded to my plea for help. I called my doctor...my regular GP that I have been seeing for years and have an excellent relationship with. We discussed what each of you have brought up or suggested and have determined first steps in a treatment plan to eliminate what we can...and then we can go from there.

      We are going to deal with my depression first...and hopefully the sleep problem will be resolved at the same time. We are going with elavil (amitryptaline or whatever the generic name is). Then a lot of other things might just resolve themselves. If not, we will address what is left. I'll call him with weekly reports so he can monitor things and do dosage adjustments as needed. If after a month on elavil the sleep problem is not resolved, we will try trazadone...but maybe by then if needed my homepathic sleep aids will help again and I won't need the trazadone.

      And ofcourse I'll get my thyroid results on Saturday from the clinic (unless they lose them again) so we'll know if we need to adjust my synthroid. But neither of us believe that to be the issue since it was fine 3 months ago.

      This guy is really special...one of a kind in the medical profession. He reallly cares, listens and respects. He doesn't believe he knows it all and treats people with dignity and respect. No "better than thou" about him.

      He has always been impressed with the support I got from this group but now thinks there is a great deal of knowledge here that many people need. He asked for the link so he could recommend our group to his other patients who happen to have Hep C (he's a GP). Ofcourse I gave him the link and the subscribe email address. He was impressed with what a valuable resource all of us are to others with hep c.

      So for the first time in ages, I'm seeing some light at the end of the tunnel and not feeling trapped in regards to health and health care. He agreed that I should start using a natural tears product....and knowing me suggested for purity's sake I go with a non-herbal or homeopathic product.

      So thank you everyone for being here again when I needed you.. Because of your suggestions and experience, my GP and I were able to work out a plan of attack based on what other folks with hep c have learned and experienced. We are a wonderful group of people!!!!

      Blessings

    • Mscue40@aol.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 21, 2003
        You go girl!
        Love,
        Donna

        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 21, 2003
          I'm so glad someone is listening to you! Hopefully the amitriptyline
          will help. I would suggest you start on a fairly low dose, and on a
          night when you don't have to get up and go to work the next day so
          you can evaluate how long you need for it to work out of your system
          enough so you are not groggy when it's time to get up! Then gradually
          up the dose as needed. I was on a very low dose - something like
          10mg.??? (It's been a while now.) But you can go much higher. I think
          Connie used to take 100mg daily for her fibromyalgia, but the low
          dose worked just fine for me.

          Good luck, and hang in there!!!

          http://mailplus.yahoo.com
        • willem landstra
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 22, 2003
            Hi Tat.I.am so happy for you.Be carefull with the medication.Funny a week ago you felt so bad that you pleaded for help now you feel much better without taking medicine,you see a lot of it is in the mind.I.am conservative with regards to medication unless it.s neccesary not to suffer.I also hve sleeping-problems,a lot less then I was on treatment but I.am fortunate that I don.t hve to go to work so it.s easy to talk.I hve a cat he was homeless for many years untill I took care of him.Sometimes he.s off colour,moody,cranky,restless.When he.s like that he always :take.s time off:Retreats behind the couch for a day and then shows himself again a happy cat.I always wondered what goes on in his cat-mind when he is in recluse,being a bit jealous because he can cope without medication and seeing his GP.I wish he could talk human-language so that I can ask him.Willem.

            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 22, 2003
              Tat-

              Glad to hear things are looking better. You have a great doctor. Going for
              better sleep is the best way to start. You will be amazed by how much
              getting a decent night's (or day's) sleep will help.

              CFIDS is chronic fatigue immune dysfunction syndrome. It often goes hand in
              hand with fibro-it is the terrible fatigue, brain fog, can't sleep stuff.
              Hope things keep getting better for you and that you find a new job! You
              are right, though, it is a young person's market any more.

              gail

              From: "Tatezi" <tatezi@...>
              Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 21:15:09 -0600
              To: "Hep" <GIWorld-Hepatitis@yahoogroups.com>

[...]

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

              <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 22, 2003
                Hi Claudine...

                He's starting me out at 25mg for a week and then if all goes well we will up it weekly until we are at 100mg. But with weekly phone calls to review what is happening with me on the elavil, we will base dosage changes on what is going on. And I plan to start it on Friday evening...and you suggested about 12 hours before I have to get up, right?

                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 22, 2003
                  Dear Tat,
                  I am so glad you are feeling better psychologically. That is half the
                  battle. I didn't know what to advise, but am happy others did, and you are
                  on the road to recovery. Hang in there. Tomorrow is another day, and will
                  be brighter for you. My prayers are with you. Meghan

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 22, 2003
                    Willem,

                    Ofcourse a lot of it is in the mind...and when someone gives you some hope, it gives you a big boost. For four months I've been spiralling downward...my depression reached a stage where I really had to struggle to keep going. Even my accupuncture wasn't helping any more I'd fallen so far. But I didn't give up although I wanted to ... I'm just not that type of person. And being winter with no sun hasn't helped either.

                    I'm not concerned about the medication....depression is a genetic thing in my family. It's not a matter of feeling sad....it's a matter of our brains just don't produce the proper balance of neurotransmitters and need some assistance. And you know I'm all for natural...but I don't discount the benefits of some western medicine too...you have to blend them together for balance.

                    And once I get on top of the depression and can sleep again, I'll beat everything else or at least be able to deal with it. Sometimes in life, so many things happen all at once and it becomes overwhelming...you just have to go after one thing after another until you get things back into balance and can center yourself again.

                    Your cat sounds pretty wonderful but then, what cat isn't <g> Without my guys, sometimes I don't know what I would do. Even my feral cat that has been here 6+ years and still won't be picked up on held, brings me a great deal of joy.

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 22, 2003
                      Thanks, Megan....

                      I'll pull out of this...I'm a fighter and a survivor. I've just been dealing with too much stress in the last 15 months since I got laid off and it's taken it's toll. Snuck right up on me. But I'll pull through once again....this life may be able to knock me down but it sure can't keep me down.

                      tatezi

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 22, 2003
                        --- Tatezi <tatezi@...> wrote:
                        > Hi Claudine...
                        And I plan to start it on
                        > Friday evening...and you suggested about 12 hours before I have to
                        > get up, right?
                        > Tatezi

                        Right. At least until you know how YOU will react to it! It doesn't
                        make you feel at all like a narcotic or sleeping pill would. You just
                        get drowsy and are able to get some REALLY great, deep sleep. It's so
                        amazing what good sleep can do for you! Good luck!

                        http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 22, 2003
                          Thanks, Claudine....once again I am so thankful for you and everyone else here in our wonderful group. I am so looking forward to this weekend and starting this antidepressant and getting some sleep. It just amazes me the effects of sleep deprivation.

                          Message 12 of 12 , Jan 23, 2003
                            Good for you Tatezi. Glad you have such a great doctor, now things will seem better for you.

                            Willem, your cat is reclusive? Are you sure he's a cat? LOL. Cats are good therapy for us I think, their moodiness and take a message attitude just gets me roaring. When my cat wants human attention she sits on the table (a no no) and meows and stares at me till I have to get up and chase her down. She has a king size bed that she lets me use reluctantly. LOL.