OFF TOPIC SORTA - Holland in Feb!

  • Alleypat
    Message 1 of 23 , Jan 9, 2003
      Hey folks! Got my tickets to fly to Holland in Feb! I'll be flying out Jan 31 to Brussels (cheaper than landing at Amsterdam) and returning Feb 17.

      I'll be turning all my egroups off to no mail at that time.

      You guys don't know how much this trip will mean to me! It's like a reward for the years of interferon and crap that goes with it. I feel pretty good now, but fighting the chronic hives thing still. Had a bad flare up recently and now I'm back on prednisone. Shrink put me on Ativan and Loxapro, in addition to my Wellbutrin. So for 2 days now, I've been sleeping or groggy. And that with .25 Ativan! Hopefully my body will adjust, if it doesn't in a few days I will call her and tell her I can't handle this. I did some kind of cholesterol medicine for a while hoping to pull bile from my gut, if that is what was causing this, but it didn't stop the itching and just made me constipated. (too much inf? haha) This itching is really making me nuts. Should it get worse, I'm not sure what else they can do. Allergist had to convince me that it wasn't going to last the rest of my life, at least not the worst part.

      So Willem, here I come!

      I will also look for any local hep support groups Eindhoven or Amsterdam might have. I'd love to be a "worldly" hepper :))

      Be well yall,

    • willem landstra

        Message 3 of 23 , Jan 10, 2003
          Alley...

          Have a great trip and enjoy yourself to the fullest. We'll miss you but look forward to the tales of your trip when you get home.

          Blessings

          Message 4 of 23 , Jan 10, 2003
            Alley, hope u have a wonderful trip!!! You sure deserve to have fun... we
            are also leaving for a kind of vaca. We'll be going to D.C. for a few days.
            My husband has 2 author talk/book signings there. Leaving Sunday am, but
            will be back by Thursday. We'll drive..cause it's only about 6 & 1/2 hr
            ride. But a nice change nonetheless! Anyway, have a relaxing, fun &
            joyfilled time in Holland..luv, mzgee

            Message 5 of 23 , Jan 10, 2003
              Yep Alley....have a great time in Holland. My friend in Holland offered for me to come there and stay for a whole year to get the good treatment LOL....nice of her, but I can't up and leave for a year. I am going to Vegas for the last week of February.....my last chance for fun before starting treatment again.

              Message 6 of 23 , Jan 10, 2003
                LOL Willem....you always get me laughing!!!

                Message 7 of 23 , Jan 11, 2003
                  mzgee I didn't know your husband wrote. What does he write? Have fun and tel us all about it.

                  Message 8 of 23 , Jan 11, 2003
                    haaaaaaaaaa Willlem you are too funny. Yep, it's cold there! But this is my chance. I hope you feel better soon.

                    Message 9 of 23 , Jan 11, 2003
                      Wow, Carol, if I had a friend in Hollland who offered for me to come stay for a year to get tx, I would be there in a flash. But my only family is four legged and I have no other ties here so other than my cats, I could pick up and be gone pretty quickly. And the way things are going in the states, once there, I might just stay...

                      Alley, have a fantastic time and treasure every minute of you vacation. And remember, I might have to astral project to keep an eye on you and Willem <g>

                      Blessings

                      Message 10 of 23 , Jan 12, 2003
                        LOL Tatezi...it is tempting alright. But I'd have to live with her and her boyfriend and the thing is: I've never even met her. My friend in Holand is a woman I met on a chat line about 4 years ago....at that time she lived in PA.....but was born in Holland. She phones me and we talk for two hours....we call ourselves "twinnies". It's amazing how many great people you can meet over the internet. She says things in Holland aren't that great right now....lots of unemployment...she's thinking of moving to England...she's like a gypsy....she's lived in amost every country at one time or another. Lucky her.

                        Message 11 of 23 , Jan 12, 2003
                          I believe that both Holland and Belgium are tightning up the immigration laws....Willem, can you confirm that? I have a friend in Belgium who does some work with a refugee organization and she told me. There are ways though. All I know is I have my passport and if I have to run for my life, I'm history.

                          Message 12 of 23 , Jan 13, 2003
                            Hi Tatezi

                            From what I hear from my friend in Holland, it is a lot tougher to get your papers. She met a guy over the internet from Spain....he came to Holland and they live together. They have run circles to get his papers so he can work, but after 18 months he still doesn't have them. So I think the answer is yes.

                            Message 13 of 23 , Jan 14, 2003
                              HI.Spain is a member of the EEC.Citizens from spain hve the same right as dutch citizens.So this is not true unless the guy does.nt hold a spanish pasport.Emigration laws hve tightened after the 11th.If yre from western origin,canadian,american,australian etc.etc. yhve no trouble staying in holland.Yr pasport is not being stamped.There.re a lot of westerners staying and working here for yrs.The problem is when yre coloured or hve Allah written on yr forehead.There.re police checks in the street etc.Officially they hve to check everybody but in reality they only pick on the coloured and muslim-looking people and only in certain crime-invested areas.Police hve raids on houses where they think illegal people are living.Unfortunately the non-western emigrants are causing a lot of troulble,crime.I can.t help it but that.s the way it.s and it will not improve also because of public demand.When the twintowers fell together the world grew apart.Willem.

                            • Mscue40@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 23 , Jan 14, 2003
                                Hey Alley, where did you purchase your tickets?
                                I will be going to Norway in April.
                                I wish you a most wonderful trip abroad.
                                Donna

                              • Alleypat
                                Message 15 of 23 , Jan 14, 2003
                                  I bid for my tickets at priceline.com Offered $275 for round trip and got it, with taxes and fees it's $375. I couldn't book anywhere else less than $416

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jan 14, 2003
                                    Yeah...it's like Willem said....when the twin towers fell together, the world fell apart.

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Jan 14, 2003
                                      Hi Willem

                                      Well, I don't know if Dave is from Spain originally....I think not cuz he sounds American....no accent. I just know that he's having touble getting his papers to work in Holland....if you have ideas, maybe you could email Francina? I could be wrong about this whole thing. Brain fog?

                                      Message 18 of 23 , Jan 19, 2003
                                        Hi Alley, we are back from D.C. and all went very well. He had a radio
                                        interview and 2 author talk/book signings which went great. :O) This book
                                        is a memoir about our oldest sonn, Jesse who died at age 19 in 1995. He
                                        also had another book published in Sept.1999 on homelessness.. You must be
                                        getting very excited about your trip.....you'll have to send a cyber
                                        postcard! luv gee

                                        Message 19 of 23 , Jan 19, 2003
                                          Hi Gee...

                                          Glad your trip went well....your husbands book on homelessness...what is it's theme? The problem of homelessness or the plight of the homeless themselves? I would be interested in knowing more about that book as I've been spending time with the homeless native americans that live under the train tracks behind my apartment. They've taught me alot about survival as a homeless person and actually have a little community (tribe) of them to make survival easier.

                                          Message 20 of 23 , Jan 20, 2003
                                            Glad your back safe and sound gee!

                                            Me and others I'm sure would love it if you posted the book titles and author name so we can go get it.

                                            I got a new sketch book for my Holland trip. I like to do journals with drawings, cutouts, doodles, pictures. I will post the url for my pictures when I start putting them up on a website.

                                            Message 21 of 23 , Jan 21, 2003
                                              Tat, his book deals with both...he did many interviews with homeless folks in
                                              New Haven, Ct. At the time, he was project coordinator for Access. This
                                              program dealt with meeting folks exactly where they are...be it a cup of hot
                                              coffee every morning under the highway, parking garages etc, to finding
                                              permanent housing and medical help. The program was eliminated a couple of
                                              years ago. he now heads up the Program on poverty, dissability and addiction
                                              in new haven. This sememster he will also be teaching a coourse on
                                              homelessness to Yale sociology students. gee

                                            • Mzgee1@aol.com
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Jan 21, 2003
                                                Alley, Hi....The titles of Michael's books are: "The Book of Jesse, A Story
                                                of Youth, Illness & Medicine" and the otheris: "Crossing the Border;
                                                Encounters between Outreach Workers and Homeless Persons". I must warn you
                                                that the book about our son, Jesse, is not an easy read. It deals with his
                                                death following liver transplantation. His liver became cirhottic due to
                                                Sclerosing Cholangitis. You can read many reviews on Amazon.com. Some are
                                                very positive, others (3) are not. I guess if one can relate to the topic or
                                                has ever lost anyone they loved, they have very positive things to say about
                                                the book. The 3 negative reader reviews are of a personal nature, which you
                                                will be able to read there. There are about 8-10 reviews in all. The book
                                                on Homelessness is also on Amazon with reviews and you can also read part of
                                                this book there. Thanks for the interest. Michael thanks you too! :O)
                                                luv, gee

                                                Message 23 of 23 , Jan 21, 2003
                                                  Wow, what a great guy you are sharing life with. What is the name of the book and his name ... I'd really like to read it...