Cat names

  • Mark Middle Mountain
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 5, 2003
      We had a cat with 3 legs that was named Tipsy. The problem was, people
      thought we were terrible for naming him thusly, but the truth was that he
      had the name before he lost the leg. He had a white tip on the end of his
      tail when he was born, hence the name Tipsy. At about 6 or 8 weeks, he
      came back to the house dragging a front leg. The vet speculated that he was
      trying to climb and fell while still gripping with that leg, and the impact
      of the weight of his body damaged the nerves somehow. A guess by any means.

      Because it was nerve damage, he didn't seem to have any pain from it, so
      we waited a couple of months to see if it would recover, but it never did.
      The problem became when he would drag the leg on the ground, the "knee"
      would get scrapped and bloody and when he came in the house there would be
      all these bood spots. The vet said we could either put him down, or
      amputate the lower part of the leg. By this time the kids were attached,
      so off came part of the leg. He lived many years that way.

      When he would walk, he sort of had to hop clumsily, but when he was
      running, you couldn't tell the difference. Living in the country, our
      cats spend the summers outdoors, and he was able to catch field mice on his
      own (they are dumber than house mice I suppose). But when people would see
      him walk, and then ask his name and hear it was Tipsy, they would give us
      funny looks :-)
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 5, 2003
        LOL Mark....poor kitty, but he had a good life anyway. My neighbours have a cat called "Gimpy".....when they found him, the poor guy had 2 broken legs....you'd never know it now....I hear him running around upstairs every night like a "catouttahell"......he's a cutie, but my cat doesn't think so :-(

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 6, 2003
          We had a cat with 3 legs. He started life out with four but came home one morning with three and a bloody stump. His name was White Russian (cuz we had drank a white russian mixed drink when we named all 13 cats). I DON"T have 13 cats anymore :)