Re: [GIWorld-Hepatitis] Question and off topic

  • willem landstra
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 10, 2002
      HI.This is an open invitiation to tell some of the christmas traditions in my country,especcially one in Amsterdam.Christmas is much the same as in the US,lots of food,christmastrees,family togetherness and thinking and praying for peace which is totally forgotten when christmas is over.I.am alone and a agnostic but there is one ritual three days before christmas which warms my hart and gives me a feeling of not being alone.I share it with you.This ritual dates back to the 14th century in Amsterdam.The black-plague was raging in Amsterdam.They burnt the dead people hoping to stop the plague of spreading,they should hve burnt the rats but at that time they did.nt know that.There was a dying man and the priest gave him a hosti,last rites.When they burnt his body the hosti would.nt burn.This peace of bread,representing the body of christ was the only remains amongst the ashes.People thougt this to be a miracle and ever since that day at midnight people gather in front of his house,it is still there,with candles and in complete silence walk around the center of Amsterdam,through the Red-light district,along the Coffeeshops,the junkies ,the rich and the poor.In complete silence.And the bystanders who are watching this become silent too.The center of Amsterdam which all it.s vices becomes holy,almost magical.Even the music in the bars stop when this procession passes by.It ends two hrs lately again where it began.This will be my Christmas and the warmth which it gives me will last for another year.Merry Christmas everyone.William.