Re: Thyroid question

  • srw1954@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 10, 2002
      Hi Alley,
      Thanks for your post about your experience. I think my partner is going to
      ask her doc for more tests (TRH?, T3?, T4?) before she asks for the meds.
      She really doesn't want to be taking meds if she doesn't have to even though
      she has some (not all) of the hypothyroid symptoms. Although she may be in
      denial, she has to figure out for what she wants and needs for herself. I
      appreciate your and Claudine's info...I just pass it on to her.
      It's interesting, my thyroid was fine during treatment, but it was 2 or 3
      months after ending treatment that it started to shut down, but that's not
      that uncommon. Also, my chronic lower back pains went away a month after
      starting on treatment and gradually came back after ending treatment. That's
      not to say I didn't have other types of aches and pains, and other sides
      while on treatment, which I did. My back problems are much better now
      though, which I attribute to taking yoga classes 5 to 7 times a month for the
      past year and half, and working out every other day for the past two years.
      It helps being unemployed/self employed for most of that time to have the
      time to do that kind of exercise routine.
      Anyway, I'm rambling. Take care,
      Sara

      Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 10:02:28 -0500
      From: "Patricia Jean" <patriciajean@...>
      Subject: Re: Thyroid question

      While on treatment, my TSH shot up too, tho it only got a few points above
      "normal" I felt awful. I began with a TSH of 3 and went to 7 something. The
      limits were 1 - 6. When my TSH went up, I had a lot of joint aches and
      carpal tunnel-like symptoms that went away when I finished treatment and my
      TSH came down.

      I'm on a thyroid newsletter thang, and other things I've read said that for
      women, thyroid should be about 2 to feel the best and that they (whomever did
      some research, not a lot done) felt that women were more sensitive to changes
      in TSH than men.

      Good luck to you and your friend,

      Alley
      Grand Prairie, Tx
    • Patricia Jean
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 13, 2002
        <<Also, my chronic lower back pains went away a month after
        starting on treatment and gradually came back after ending treatment. >>

        My joint aches went away on interferon too. Unfortunately they found me again when I finshed. :( When I had a bone scan it confirmed why I had a lot of problems with my lower back. All these years the doc says nothing's wrong. sheesh.

        Alley

        "You are only given a little spark of madness.You mustn't lose it." Robin Williams

        ICQ 12631861
        Yahoo Alleypat
        AIM DallasAlleyPat
        MSN Alleypat

      • gailsamples@earthlink.net
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 19, 2004
          I think Claudine will have an answer to this. What are the 'new' normal ranges of thyroid panel results for women? I am saying 'new' because these ranges are different for women, and few doctors know this. I believe you were the one who posted about the different figures for female vs. male, and that you were lucky enough to have a doctor who realized this. Thanks

          gail
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 19, 2004
            --- gailsamples@... wrote:
            What are the 'new'
            > normal ranges of thyroid panel results for women? I am saying
            > 'new' because these ranges are different for women, and few doctors
            > know this.

            Gail,
            I don't think there are any "new" normal ranges for thyroid tests,
            just a few doctors who realize that men and women feel better with
            their thyroid hormones in different ranges. What I have read and what
            my endocrinologist told me is that most women feel best if their TSH
            is between 1.0 and 2.0 Over 2 and they start to experience symptoms
            of hypothyroidism. This has proven to be true for me. If my TSH goes
            over 2 I start to feel more tired than usual, and my mind seems to
            get foggier. Also, hair and skin will be dryer. If my TSH goes below
            about .60 I will begin to have trouble sleeping. Note that TSH
            (Thyroid Stimulating Hormone) is NOT part of the thyroid panel (it is
            produced in the pituitary gland) and that test must be ordered
            separately.

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Gail Samples
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 19, 2004
              Thanks Claudine.

              gail

              I don't think there are any "new" normal ranges for thyroid tests,
              just a few doctors who realize that men and women feel better with
              their thyroid hormones in different ranges. What I have read and what
              my endocrinologist told me is that most women feel best if their TSH
              is between 1.0 and 2.0 Over 2 and they start to experience symptoms
              of hypothyroidism. Note that TSH

              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 19, 2004
                The answer did come from Claudine originally ... from some research papers. Middle age wimmin feel better if they keep their TSH at the low end of normal...around 1.0 (normal according to the medical profession is .5 - 5.5. Since mine is always jumping all over the place when on treatment, I've come to recognize when it is over 2.0...I start brain fog and a lot fo fatigue. And to think that years ago when rebetron blew out my thyroid, my count got up to 110.0....sure can't imagine how I functioned at all. But then I blamed the fatigue and brain fog on treatment never thinking about what else it could be.

                Blessings