RE: [GIWorld-Hepatitis] Update and question.

  • Debra
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 30, 2002
      I would really like more info on iron also... I have very low iron...always
      have.. I am below the norm at 30 with the normal range at 40-160. The nurse
      said I should take iron supplements, but I am worried that it would be bad
      for my hepc... I have no hepc symptoms and the low iron doesn't bother me as
      far as being tired or weak.. so why should I take it? Wouldn't just eating
      iron rich foods be good enough?

      Thanks,

      Deb
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2002
        The reason we are all told to avoid iron is because iron (excess
        iron) is stored in the liver, and these iron stores are very hard on
        the liver. In fact, too much iron stored in the liver can cause
        hepatitis by itself, even in someone who doesn't have HCV or another
        form of hepatitis. This does not mean that you should avoid all iron
        though. Your body still needs iron, you just are shooting for a
        balance of taking in what your body needs without building up an
        excess of iron in your liver. It is only recommened that you avoid
        ARTIFICAL supplements of iron, not iron containing foods. The iron in
        foods in not usually very easily assimilated by the body, although if
        you take vitamin C with a meal it does help the body to absorb the
        iron. So - if you DON'T need iron, don't take vitamin C with a meal!
        On the other hand, calcium taken with a meal will help prevent
        absorption. Most women who no longer menstruate will not need iron
        supplements anyway, but because of the blood lost with each menstrual
        period, many younger women might still get a little anemic and need
        some iron. There is no such thing as one hard and fast rule for
        everybody. As long as there are no iron stores in the liver itself
        than eating some iron rich food is ok. And yes, in someone who is
        really anemeic it's possible that you might even need iron
        supplements, although being a little on the anemic side is probably
        not going to hurt you either. Being too anemic though is NOT good,
        especially if you will be doing treatment with ribavirin. I think you
        just have to look at the overall picture - iron levels, hemoglobin,
        hematocrit, etc. And yes, it is ok to take B12 supplements.
        Take care,

        http://sbc.yahoo.com