Update and question.

  • runabout_104
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 30, 2002
      Hi-I haven't been around for awhile. I am still under treatment--10
      months 2 more months to go. Dr. recommended I stay on for the full
      year which is what I wanted because of the cirochiss, hoping that
      maybe it wd begin to help that--maybe. I hear it does in some cases.
      Anyway, I am undetectable. Do my chances increase of relapse because
      of cirochiss???? Also, I was a big part of getting a support group
      started and some questions came up that I am to find the answers for.
      Could someone tell me or explain why Iron is so bad for us. I know
      that hepatitis thrives in iron and our bodies have so much in it and
      that is y we shouldn't take vitamins with iron, but I need to explain
      this @ the next group what is the relationship of iron and hepatitis
      in our bodies. Could someone please help me with this. Thank you
      cher P.S. Also, is B12 okay for us to take?
    • Debra
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 30, 2002
        I would really like more info on iron also... I have very low iron...always
        have.. I am below the norm at 30 with the normal range at 40-160. The nurse
        said I should take iron supplements, but I am worried that it would be bad
        for my hepc... I have no hepc symptoms and the low iron doesn't bother me as
        far as being tired or weak.. so why should I take it? Wouldn't just eating
        iron rich foods be good enough?

        Thanks,

        Deb

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 1, 2002
          The reason we are all told to avoid iron is because iron (excess
          iron) is stored in the liver, and these iron stores are very hard on
          the liver. In fact, too much iron stored in the liver can cause
          hepatitis by itself, even in someone who doesn't have HCV or another
          form of hepatitis. This does not mean that you should avoid all iron
          though. Your body still needs iron, you just are shooting for a
          balance of taking in what your body needs without building up an
          excess of iron in your liver. It is only recommened that you avoid
          ARTIFICAL supplements of iron, not iron containing foods. The iron in
          foods in not usually very easily assimilated by the body, although if
          you take vitamin C with a meal it does help the body to absorb the
          iron. So - if you DON'T need iron, don't take vitamin C with a meal!
          On the other hand, calcium taken with a meal will help prevent
          absorption. Most women who no longer menstruate will not need iron
          supplements anyway, but because of the blood lost with each menstrual
          period, many younger women might still get a little anemic and need
          some iron. There is no such thing as one hard and fast rule for
          everybody. As long as there are no iron stores in the liver itself
          than eating some iron rich food is ok. And yes, in someone who is
          really anemeic it's possible that you might even need iron
          supplements, although being a little on the anemic side is probably
          not going to hurt you either. Being too anemic though is NOT good,
          especially if you will be doing treatment with ribavirin. I think you
          just have to look at the overall picture - iron levels, hemoglobin,
          hematocrit, etc. And yes, it is ok to take B12 supplements.
          Take care,

          http://sbc.yahoo.com