Re: [GIWorld-Hepatitis] Cher

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 30, 2002
      Cher...

      Congratulations on your viral load. I am so envious of you 2s clearing the virus. I have a friend who was just diagnosed as a 2b and her doctor told her she hit the Hep C lottery by being a 2B <g>

      Glad you are making progress getting a support group started. It is always good for people to have some place to go to sound off about their concerns, fears, anger, etc.

      Let me see if I can answer some of your questions.

      1) Bones. Yes, tx does affect your bone density and I believe so does the Hep C. You should be taking calcium but no more than 1500mgs a day. Oyster shell calcium isn't bad for you...it's just that your body doesn't absorb it well. Any of the calcium citrates or bone building formulas work just fine. But with calcium you also need magnesium, potassium and vitamin D. I don't know where you read that vitamin D is not good for you, but you need vitamin D to help your body absorb calcium. I also take a photoestrogen which is a plant hormone with bone building properties. (Estrogen is also excellent for building bone density.)

      2) Vitamin A. You need some vitamin A...your eyes need it. Anything more than 15000iu's daily is detrimental to your liver (maybe it's 20,000iu's...sometimes I get confused). I stick with the 10000iu's that is in my multi vitamin. But you do need some vitamin A.

      3) Multi vitamins with no iron. If you are just getting your vitamins in a drug store and can't find one without iron, the One A Day for Men has no iron in it. I've used that often when I've been unable to afford the multi vitamins I normally take. Men don't require the iron that wimmin do, so rarely will you find iron in a multivitamin formula for men. At the same time, you will find lower doses of calcium in a men's formula so you have to supplement.

      4) I have no idea what your chances are of going into liver cancer since you already have cirhossis. I do know that many studies have shown that tx slows down and in some instances reverses fibrosis. This is more a question for doc or Claudine.

      5) Veggie Juice. I think you would have to talk to Arnold about that. I do know for a fact that too much carrot juice is extremely detrimental to your liver. I don't remember why but I drink no more than 8ozs of carrot juice a day...and don't remember what the safe limit was.

      6) Bone density test. I imagine any doctor can order a bone density test for you...when I had mine it was ordered by my gyne but was performed at a lab where they had the equipment. It is a simple test...you just lie there and it scans your body.

      BTW, something I recently read. If you take vitamin C with meals, it increases the absorbtion of any iron that might be in the foods you are eating. Just thought I would share that little tidbit.

      Hope this helps with some of your questions...

      BTW, haven't you been in methadone treatment for a really long time? Methadone is terrible to kick because it gets in your bones...and it also degenerates your bone density. What is the standard length of methadone treatment now a days?

      Blessings

    • JeeKim.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 30, 2002
        In Asian medicine, eyes are closely linked to the liver. BTW, eye nutritions
        are not something to neglect, since our eyes deteriorate as we age, and eyes
        can be protected from this age-related degenaration. Nutrients like lutein
        are broadly believed to protect eyes. Lutein can also protect us from prostate,
        breast, and skin cancer. I saw a report, if my memory is correct, that lutein
        does the liver good.

        Arnold
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 1, 2002
          Hi Cher....I agree with Donna about the anti-depressants....get the
          dosage upped. I know how easy it is to get super-stressed and depressed
          when on treatment or even when not on treatment.

          I don't have any suggestions about your methadone group....except that
          you're doing a great service and should be very proud of yourself! I
          guess the main thing is to try and get them all to test for HCV and see
          how it goes from there. Best of luck to you!!

          Huggggs
          Carol

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 22, 2002
            Hi Cher....congratulations on your tests so far....looks like you beat the dragon. As far as getting disability....I don't know how hard it is in the USA but it's really hard to get in Canada....at least in BC. I know it is harder here to get it based on depression unless you are regularly seeing a shrink and he will fill out papers attesting to the fact that you can't work....but it could be easier to get it where you are. I don't think the fact that you're on Methadone should hurt your chances, I'd think it would help....but that's only my opinion. Hopefully they won't take into consideration that treatment was a success. I really hope you get disability, let us know how it goes ok? I'm having a tuff time since BC re-wrote the definition of disability....you gotta be in wheelchair practically.....there is a lesser level of disability that I qualify for....but much less money of course....I will be interested in seeing how it goes with you. Good luck.