Re: [GIWorld-Hepatitis] Genotype 2 ... correction!

    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 27, 2002
      I knew what you meant <g>
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: claudine intexas
      To: GIWorld-Hepatitis@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Wednesday, June 26, 2002 11:59 PM
      Subject: Re: [GIWorld-Hepatitis] Genotype 2 ... correction!

      --- claudine intexas <claudineintexas@...> wrote:
      I think the fact that her doctor did both a quantitative
      > AND
      > a qualitative PCR shows he knows his stuff. A Quantitative test is
      > MUCH more sensitive and accurate than a qualitative test even
      > though
      > it just gives you a yes or no answer, no 'quantity' if any
      > detected.

      Naturally I managed to get those backwards! (And then make things
      even more confusing by stating the difference correctly). It is the
      QUALITATIVE test that is the most accurate, not the QUANTITATIVE!
      (Quant - as in quantity!) Sorry for the confusion!

      http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com

    • Suzy Balone
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 4, 2002
        are you saying we can have wine or a drink now and then?
        Never have been much of a drinker for a long long time but
        I sure would like one at times, don't know why probably like the forbidden
        fruit.
        Suzy

        From: claudine intexas <claudineintexas@...>
        To: GIWorld-Hepatitis@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: Re: [GIWorld-Hepatitis] Genotype 2 and Biopsies
        Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 20:47:13 -0700 (PDT)

        --- Tatezi <tatezi@...> wrote:
        She said
        > because she was a 2 and responded to tx, that she is now able to
        > drink wine again...and last night when I was visiting them, she did
        > have a glass of wine. (Both her husband and I just cringed.)

        I wouldn't worry too much if she is only having an occasional glass
        of wine, damage or not, especially since she responded. (I don't know
        what '2' has to do with it, except that she has a greater chance of
        sustaining the response.) Only regular (like daily) consumption of
        alcohol has been found to influence the progression of the disease.
        And hopefully she's not progressing at all since she was undetectable
        at one month post treatment. Any fibrosis she may have had should be
        reversing itself. An occasional glass of wine shouldn't bother that
        at all. I think the fact that her doctor did both a quantitative AND
        a qualitative PCR shows he knows his stuff. A Quantitative test is
        MUCH more sensitive and accurate than a qualitative test even though
        it just gives you a yes or no answer, no 'quantity' if any detected.
        Now, if she is drinking wine every day, and/or more than just a glass
        or two, that is another story. If that is what she is doing, she
        probably heard what she wanted to hear from her doctor. She does need
        to give her liver a chance to regenerate, heal itself, and hopefully
        she will not think that a SVR means she can do anything she wants and
        her liver will be fine. Chronic consumption of alcohol, especially
        large amounts, will eventually cause damage to ANYONE'S liver whether
        they have ever had a liver disease or not!

        http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com

      • Patricia Jean
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 4, 2002
          Except for being on treatment, my doc said I could have a drink now and then if I wanted to. This year I haven't had any, but last year I'd have a glass of wine sometimes when we went out for dinner. You really gotta discuss this with your doc. Your liver is the best determinate of a question like this and you and your doc should discuss it.

          alley

          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 4, 2002
            --- Suzy Balone <suzybalone@...> wrote:
            > are you saying we can have wine or a drink now and then?
            > Never have been much of a drinker for a long long time but
            > I sure would like one at times, don't know why probably like the
            > forbidden fruit.
            > Suzy

            I think sometimes that is the way it is for me. If I say I can NEVER
            have something ever again it just makes me want it even more! But if
            I say it's ok every once in a while, then I don't seem to really want
            it. Crazy, I know!

            As for your question - I can only say what my doctors have told me
            and the reports on alcohol use that I have read. Alcohol consumption
            in amounts of 5 or more drinks daily has been shown to definitely
            accelerate disease progression. The effects of lesser amounts are
            less clear. The lastest study showed that even lesser amounts
            consumed on a daily basis was also detrimental. It has not been shown
            that an occasional glass of wine or beer will make any significant
            difference though. The general opinion though is to tell anyone with
            HCV to abstain from drinking any alcohol. That is the easiest and
            certainly the safest thing to do. However, I think each person is an
            individual, and should be considered on an individual basis. I have
            no fibrosis and very little inflammation. And, I can control myself!
            I can drink a glass of wine and stop. But I've known others who, if
            they drank one glass would finish off the whole bottle! I have seen
            three GI doctors, all have told me that an occasional glass of wine
            or a beer is fine as long as I keep it at that. But just because my
            doctors have told me this doesn't mean they might tell everyone that.
            I doubt they would say this if I had cirrhosis or extensive fibrosis,
            and I know if I were in that situation I would certainly have
            different thoughts on this. But I'm not saying it's ok to go out and
            start drinking! That is between you and your doctor.

            http://sbc.yahoo.com