More Info on MSM

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 17, 2002
      Just got this article in one of my herbal newsletters and thought I'd pass it along.

      MSM stands for methylsulfonylmethane. MSM is an organic sulfur
      compound that exists to some extent in all living things. MSM is a
      basic nutrient required for the proper functioning of the body. Most
      people are deficient in this nutrient.

      Sulphur is responsible for the ionic exchange within the
      sodium-potassium pump in the cell. Sulphur is needed to maintain cell
      membrane permeability. This is important to ensure that nutrients are
      delivered into the cell and toxins and other waste products can exit.
      A lack of sulphur prevents the transport of free radicals, chemicals
      and foreign particles out of the cells, which, if not excreted, can
      lead to many allergic reactions such as Asthma, ear nose and throat
      infections, hay fever, headaches, fatigue and gastrointestinal
      problems.

      Sulphur is a component of insulin, the very important hormone that
      regulates the uptake of glucose by cells for use as energy. A lack of
      sulphur can result in low insulin production or cell resistance to
      insulin which in turn brings about excess blood sugar leading to
      diabetes. Sulphur is also needed for thiamine and biotin which are
      also needed for normal carbohydrate metabolism. Sulphur plays a part
      in tissue respiration, the process whereby oxygen is used to build
      new cells. A lack of sulphur can lead to replaced cells being
      dysfunctional and causing serious health related problems. Sulphur
      will help the immune system inhibit chemical carcinogens.

      Sulphur is a required structural mineral found in the proteins of most
      tissues in the body such as the skin, blood vessels, organs, hair and
      nails. Sulphur makes up the flexible disulphide bonds within protein
      structure in tissues providing elasticity and movement. Sulphur is
      also necessary for healing and repair of these tissues from internal
      injury and free radical damage. MSM contributes to the production of
      ground substance (muccopolysaccharides) which keeps connective tissue
      intact. Researchers claim that MSM can help improve joint flexibility,
      reduce stiffness, swelling and pain, improve circulation and break up
      calcium deposits or water bonds in the synovial fluid.

      Sulphur is known as natures Beauty mineral as it keeps the hair glossy
      and smooth, nails pliable and strong, and complexion clear and
      youthful. It has been used for scar tissue, burns, acne, psoriasis,
      eczema, dermatitis, dandruff, scabies, and many skin rashes. We
      have seen this work miracles in animals and humans with chronic skin
      conditions!

      Other Benefits...
      For Insect bites, MSM reacts with foreign protein (like venom & toxins
      injected by insects), by locking them up, neutralizing the poisons,
      which can then be harmlessly eliminated.

      For Sunburn, MSM contributes significant permeability and pliability
      to all tissues including the skin, it prevents blistering and promotes
      faster healing from sun or wind damage.

      For Infection, especially chronic ones, Sulphur functions quickly
      throughout the system by increasing nutrient absorption which improves
      many digestive disorders such as constipation, heartburn, colitis.
      It is a natural antibiotic. MSM competes for binding receptor sites
      at the mucus membrane surface and therefore discourages infections
      such as candida and removes parasites such as round worms.

      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 29, 2002
        Gail....

        I'm so glad your food allergies are dying down....I know how difficult that was for you. And to not be able to eat chocolate....we need some chocolate in our lives <g>

        I've always been a proponent of MSM. When I worked with thoroughbred racehorses, we used DMSO on them a lot. When I left the race track within a month my arthritic hands were causing me a great deal of distress...the only thing I could think of was the DMSO and started buying it from racetrack tack shops since I had problems getting it any place else at that time. Almost immediately my hands started to improve. So when I learned that MSM was a deritive of DMSO without the garlic smell, I started investigating it and soon started taking it. I noticed the difference big time when I was unemployed and couldn't afford many supplements.

        Good luck with it....as you said, lots of people have had excellent results from taking it.

        And glad to hear from you.....
        Blessings
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 29, 2002
          Hi Tat and Gail

          I'm for sure going to try MSM....I don't have joint pain but if it helps my memory, it's worth it. I can't believe how bad my memory is. I know what Gee means....my mother had a good memory until she passed away at 75. I feel like I have the onset of Alzhiemers....but I think it is the HepC brain thingie. I know people who have very little fibrosis and aren't ready for treatment and their memory isn't quite up to par either....not as bad as mine anyway....I must remember to hit the send button now. DUHHH

          I'll be starting treatment again in late February....doc says if I don't stay on it, Hep will kill me....my liver is really bad. I'm just praying that I can get the peg...keep your fingers crossed for me. Am going to Vegas the first week of February to enjoy myself....I have to go back to Vegas in July for a wedding but I know I'll be sick then so at least I'll have one trip that's a lot of fun LOL.

          Just got this article in one of my herbal newsletters and thought I'd pass
          it along.

        • Gail Samples
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 1, 2003
            I think another reason why we have such problems with brain fog-is CRAPPY
            SLEEP!! I recently read about an amino acid, l-theanine in the Immune
            Support Newsletter I get, tried it, and it is a great help! I've only been
            taking it for about two weeks, but I have noticed a great difference in my
            performance a work. I also don't wake up tired-er, well, unless I go to
            bed too late! They sell a complex called Calm-Plex, but I just got the
            plain l-theanine from Vitamin Shoppe. I take 200mg right before going to
            bed. I know I take a lot of stuff, but I know how I was before
            supplements-I wouldn't be working now if I didn't take them, and RX alone is
            not enough for my problems.

            gail

            <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 1, 2003
              Amen Gail....I wake up every hour....so I know about crappy sleep. I will look for the drug you mentioned....but being in Canada it's not going to be fun finding it LOL.