Re: [GIWorld-Hepatitis] Needlestick Transmission of Hepatitis C

  • Doc
    Message 1 of 1 , May 15, 2002
      I recommend a HCV-RNA at 2 wks and then repeat after another 2 wks, to make sure. Also I would give Immunoglobulin iv immediately after exposure, in the past some studies have shown doubtful benefit so why not take that chance.

      Dr Sharat Misra MD,DM,FACG

      >>>a minimum, HCV
      antibody and alanine aminotransferase testing should be done within
      several days of exposure (to assess if the health care worker is
      already infected with HCV) and 6 months after percutaneous, mucosal,
      or nonintact skin exposure to blood or infectious body fluids from an
      HCV-infected patient. Currently, it is not possible to prevent HCV
      infection after exposure. However, recent data suggest that early
      treatment of acute HCV infection with interferon may be highly
      effective in preventing chronic HCV infection. These data underscore
      the importance of identifying persons with acute HCV infection and
      promptly referring them to experienced clinicians who can provide
      updated counseling and treatment.