6907Re: [GIWorld-Hepatitis] Another question

    Sep 1, 2001
      Rebetron should be available in Canada. I know a fellow hepper who lived
      in Newfoundland (closest town was St. Johns) who fought to get on
      treatment when they first approved it to be part of their socialized
      medicine. She succeeded in getting tx and that was probalby one and a
      half years ago. She has now left this earth walk so I can't get any
      additional details for you.

      Now, she wasn't always honest with me but I seriously doubt she would
      have lied about that. And she had a real legal battle to be approved for
      treatment because they had just approved it and she was fairly advanced
      in liver fibrosis.

      Just thought I'd toss that out..

      Tatezi

      Carol wrote:

      > Hi Alley....I hope this becomes available in Canada soon. I met a
      > woman today who's 50 and has had HCV for 30 years. She has been to a
      > gastro but NEVER has had a liver biopsy!! Sheeesh, Canada is so far
      > behind....we'll never catch up. I bet Canada has never heard of
      > interferon either....I'll find out at next
      > Dr. appt. Sheeeeesh.
      >
      > Carol
      >
      > Pat wrote:
      >
      > > Riba the pills and interferon the shots used to be "bundled" and the
      > FDA or whatever, maybe just the drug maker, didn't allow separation of
      > the pills and the shots. Maybe so you couldn't do another drug maker
      > brand of interferon and do the riba, who knows, a marketing strategy
      > for sure.
      > >
      > > So, Schering, the drug maker, had to get permission from FDA I think
      > to separate the two and allow the riba to "come with" the PEG
      > interferon, or be sent separately.
      > >
      > > When the doc wriote a script, before peg, it was for rebetron, which
      > meant combination of interferon and ribavirin. It was a big deal for
      > my doc to be able to write a script for more interferon, according to
      > my ins company, who already had their "packaged" together and shipped
      > from their own pharmacy/warehouse.
      > >
      > > luckily it wasn't a hassle with my ins company, but I can imagine
      > with some it could be quite a hassle.
      > >
      > > Pat
      > >
      > > mailto:alleypat@... andromedagurl@...
      > >
      > > note: alleypat@... will be disconnected at the end of August

      > > Welcome to GIHepWorld
      > >
      > > Post message: GIWorld-Hepatitis@yahoogroups.com
      > > Subscribe: GIWorld-Hepatitis-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      [Image]
      [Image][Image][Image] Gender:[Image]

      Female
      Male
      [Image] Weight:
      [Image] lbs.kg.
      [Image][Image][Image][Image] [Image]

      by the way its animals are treated." ~Mahatma Gandhi~