13438Re: [GIWorld-Hepatitis] Insomnia

  • Alley
    Nov 8, 2003
      Try Melatonin (sp) it's over the counter and is a natural thingy that's in the brain to make you sleepy. It didn't keep me asleep but it will help me doze off.

      My primary doc says he'd rather I take a prescription sleep med and not take benadryl for sleep. It makes me groggy for 24 hours, not just 12 and it slows reaction time, he says worse than drinking the night before, for things like driving etc.

      I don't know why your doc won't give you meds to help sleep. I suggest talking to your primary care doc maybe to get some. What worked best for me was Elavil, an old antidepressant that isn't used for depression anymore but works great to help people with these kinds of problems sleep. It doesn't work for everyone of course, but it did work for me. Trazadone also works well, as does Ativan. I know people with end stage cirrhosis who take meds to help them sleep. So I don't know why your doc wouldn't unless he is just being very very careful with the meds he gives you. However, you are the only one who can know how your sleep is going, so either insist with him (he does work for you after all), or find a suppement doc to work with you in getting the extra meds you need to sleep.

      I get my sleep meds from my primary care physician. My gastro only prescribed my treatment meds. My psychiatrist and my primary doc did all the other prescribing (antidepressant, sleeping med, pain meds).

      Good luck! Let us know what happens.