13432Re: [GIWorld-Hepatitis] Insomnia

    Nov 6 7:48 PM
      I had insomnia from day one of treatment and it continued the
      whole year. INSIST on something to help with sleep! It doesn't get
      better, and combined with normal fatigue from treatment it can be a
      major problem. Besides drugs specifically for sleep some doctors will
      prescribe cyclobenzaprine (Flexerill), Xanax, Valium, or
      amitriptyline (Elavil). Also, you might try the following

      Bathe or shower no less than 30 minutes prior to bedtime. Showering
      just before getting into bed can interfere with sleep.

      Go to bed at the same time every night.

      Develop a prebedtime routine to 'wind-down'. Soft light, relaxing
      music, etc.

      Drink an herbal tea such as Sleepytime or Chamomile before bed, 1 or
      2 cups. (You can incorporate this into the prebedtime routine.)

      Eliminate ALL Caffeine from your diet.

      Try Melatonin, 300mcg (3mg) taken 15 minutes prior to bedtime. It
      works for some, not everyone.

      If you aren't on an antidepressant get on one. If you are, check the
      one you are on. Side effects can vary from person to person, and some
      can aggravate insomnia while others can help.

      Benedryl (this is the ingredient in Tylenol PM which makes you
      drowsy). Ask your doctor about it too. I've know some people who's
      doctors prescribed between 80 to 125 mg nightly. These are
      prescription strength doses so discuss with your MD. A normal dose is
      25 to 50 mg.

      Exercise everyday, but early in the day, not in the evening. This
      will help in other areas besides the insomnia. I know it sounds
      impossible when you are feeling wiped out, but start slowly and work
      up to at least a good 30 minutes a day. Walking, especially outside
      in some fresh air, is especially good.

      Avoid high protein foods close to bedtime. Eat a high complex
      carbohydrate snack about 30 minutes to an hour before bed. Not much,
      just something like a piece of whole wheat toast. The exception to
      the protein rule is turkey. It has compounds which make you drowsy.

      Good luck. I hope sometime here helps!

      Do you Yahoo!?