Nominate yourself for GGASI Board

  • Janet Russell
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 7, 2006

      I’ve had a pretty good year so far as program chair.  I’ve fulfilled most of my campaign promises.  We’ve had a meeting with food every month for 5-10 people.  We’re getting ready for our big workshop with Kate Mertes in September.  I found that arranging a meeting wasn’t as horrendous as I had feared, particularly since I have been working with an energetic and adventuresome board.  And being program chair means you get to invite the speakers you want to hear (Hello, Kate!).

      I appreciate the vote of confidence GGASI members gave me last Spring, but I have to step down as program chair now and let some new blood have a chance at determining the direction of the chapter.  Several of our current board are willing to stay on and give us the benefit of their experience and even to take on some of the responsibilities of program chair.  Indeed, most of the arrangements for the February 2007 meeting are already made.  But the chapter needs more leaders if it is going to continue.

      Could that be you?    The chapter still has a lot of money in its treasury, so the trickiest part of meeting planning—setting prices—is easier.

      Planning meetings every month has added up to more work than we expected and I don’t expect that the new board will want to continue the practice.  Although I like the idea of sharing food, having food at every meeting eliminates some free venues for small meetings.  There could be as few as two meetings.  The possibilities are endless.  You might have other ideas for chapter projects you’d like to see.

      Any questions?  Write or call.  Ballots must go out by September 27 and new officers will be installed at the November 11 meeting.

      Janet

      Janet Russell Indexing Services

      jrussell@...

      925-689-1998

    • Theresa Duran
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 17, 2006

        In response to Janet’s call for volunteers, I would like to express my willingness to stay on another year as a GGASI board member, performing secretarial duties for the chapter and contributing to the program planning.

        Thus far I am the only current board member who can commit to another year. Another member is willing to serve but may end up moving out of state. Janet has expressed her desire to relinquish her duties, though she has graciously offered to provide limited guidance to the new board, if necessary.

        Therefore, I suggest that we postpone the GGASI board elections until the end of October, to give people more time to figure out their schedules/responsibilities for the coming year and more opportunity to volunteer. The term “election” is, in this case, a misnomer, since we’re struggling to get any warm bodies to help run the chapter. Basically, if you’d like to be a GGASI officer, you’re in.

        With the exception of the treasurer’s office, which must be assigned to a specific person because of the legal implications of our nonprofit status, we have already begun to take a fairly informal approach to board members’ designations and responsibilities. So please don’t let the traditional labels of “secretary,” “president,” and “vice president” stand in your way of volunteering. Basically, we’re just looking for anyone willing to help put together a meeting or two, and to act as a sounding board for other members’ ideas.

        Sincerely,

        Theresa

        Theresa Duran, PhD
        Professional Editorial Services

[...]