typesetting question

  • Susan Storch
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 1, 2011
      I asked an editor about index length, and he said they aren't really concerned about it for this book, which is a very good thing because I think I have exceeded what he told me he would normally want. When I asked about the length, I also asked about the margins and font size. This is what he told me, but I need some help with interpretation.

      "The type page is 27x44 picas, and the index font is 9/12 Aldus."

      I'm sure the solution to the margins involves some simple math, but I have never been very good at that sort of thing. I have also never seen a font size described that way before. Does that mean 9 point?

      Thanks for any help you can offer me!

      Susan
    • Mary Hazlewood
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 1, 2011
        Hi, Susan,

        The type is 9 point with 12 points between lines, baseline to baseline.

        The type page is 27 Picas wide by 44 Picas deep. That's about 4-1/2" wide by 7-1/4" deep.

        Hope this helps
        Mary

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 1, 2011
          Thank you, Mary. That does help. How did you figure that out? I'm sure it will come up again, and I want to be able to figure out myself next time.

          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 1, 2011
            I'm a recovering typesetter, Susan.

            9/12 is a common way to state font size and leading, shorthand for 9 pts (type) over 12 pts (lead).

            There are about 6 Picas to the inch. Divide Picas by 6 to get an approximate inch measurement.

            27 / 6 = 4.5

            It's not exactly 6 to the inch, but you'll get close enough for your purposes.

            Mary

            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 1, 2011
              I hope I didn't set your recovery back too far. ;) winking

              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 1, 2011
                Hi everyone,

                I just wanted to interject that I was very happy to see Susan and Mary's exchange on the GGASI list. The national lists can get a little rough sometimes, and I think this is a wonderful use of our supportive local group as a resource!

                Amy