Re: [GEO-Subscribers] ICE ??? Snow ??? What ?, Where ?

  • David J Taylor
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 1, 2009
      Ruud Jansen wrote:
      > Hi everybody.
      > When I wake up this morning and look out my window, I see no ice or
      > snow. Only a few holy cows, rickshaws and a singel elephant. At
      > night it is cold (between 18 en 22 degrees C), but at 1 pm (at the
      > beach)a pleasant temperature of 34 degrees with a little bit of
      > seawind.
      > I wish all the members and my friends on the group a very happy and
      > peaceful 2009 from here
      > regards
      > ruud.

      .. and a Very Happy New Year to you, Ruud and Adri, and all the GEO
      members of the group!

      Not a GEO member yet? Your New Year's resolution is to join - here:

      http://www.geo-web.org.uk/join.html

      You are a GEO member? Use some of that holiday time to write up /your/
      activities for the GEO Quarterly. We'd love to read about what you are
      doing.

      Cheers,
      David
      Web: www.satsignal.eu
      Email: davidtaylor@...
    • st4594
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 1, 2009
        Happy New Year to all from a hot and sunny Sri Lanka

        Steve>
        > Not a GEO member yet? Your New Year's resolution is to join - here:
        >
        > http://www.geo-web.org.uk/join.html
        >
        > You are a GEO member? Use some of that holiday time to write
        up /your/
        > activities for the GEO Quarterly. We'd love to read about what you
        are
        > doing.
        >
        > Cheers,
        > David
        > --
        > SatSignal software - quality software written to your requirements
        > Web: www.satsignal.eu
        > Email: davidtaylor@...

      • unclebill on the farm
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 1, 2009
          >When I wake up this morning and look out my window, I see no ice or
          >snow. Only a few holy cows, rickshaws and a singel elephant. At
          >night it is cold (between 18 en 22 degrees C), but at 1 pm (at the
          >beach)a pleasant temperature of 34 degrees with a bit of seawind.

          Well here in Canada's frozen somewhat north area it is the same
          but the temps are minus. It was -28C here this A.M. with some snow
          still on the ground. Check out my weather page for more sights and
          graphs of the weather ..... my photo gallery, although old, has lots
          of pictures of the cold minus 40 fog last years...

          http://www.almaguin.com/wxcurrent/weather.html

          Maybe the New Year it will warm up (not).....

          Bill Booth
          sunny Sundridge, ON

          Visit my weather WebCam at http://www.almaguin.com/wxcurrent/weather.html

          Organ and Tissue Donation - The Gift of Life
          Talk to your family. Your decision can make a difference.

        • Rob Alblas
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 3, 2009
            Winter continues in the Netherlands, with periods of freezing and thawy
            weather. Today I did do a real skate tour with my brother: 40 km through
            our heritage Alblasserwaard, on the river Alblas, starting in
            Alblasserdam. (Including the famous Kinderdijk.) On speed skates (sorry,
            John...)
            See how tour skating is done in the Netherlands, with all the obstacles
            we have to overcome:

            http://www.alblas.demon.nl/fotos/winter_0809b.html

            Rob Alblas.
          • Alan Banks
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 3, 2009
              Rob Alblas wrote:
              > See how tour skating is done in the Netherlands, with all the obstacles
              > we have to overcome:
              >
              > http://www.alblas.demon.nl/fotos/winter_0809b.html

              Thanks for that - looks a great day out.
              Cheers
              Alan

              Database version: 5.11460
              http://www.pctools.com/uk/spyware-doctor-antivirus/
            • Trevor David
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 4, 2009
                Hi Rob, this takes me back to the mid 50`s well done.
                Trevor

                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 4, 2009
                  sat@... writes:

                  Winter continues in the Netherlands, with periods of freezing and thawy
                  weather. Today I did do a real skate tour with my brother: 40 km through
                  our heritage Alblasserwaard, on the river Alblas, starting in
                  Alblasserdam. (Including the famous Kinderdijk.) On speed skates (sorry,
                  John...)
                  See how tour skating is done in the Netherlands, with all the obstacles
                  we have to overcome:

                  _http://www.alblas.http://wwhttp://www.alhttp://www_
                  (http://www.alblas.demon.nl/fotos/winter_0809b.html)

                  Hi Rob,

                  Thanks for the photos what a great area to skate.
                  Looks really cold but evocative like an 'old Dutch master' painting with all
                  the windmills.
                  I see I'll have to exchange my figure skates to 'fit in' though.
                  Mind you it's several years now since I've 'been on ice' but if our cold
                  weather continues much longer [-5 deg. C here in SW London last night] I might
                  just get on the pond of a local park.

                  Regards,
                  John.

                • Alan Sewards
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 4, 2009
                    Rob,
                    Thank you for the delightful series of photos of your skate tour. I
                    was amazed by how many windmills were there! Are they still in use?
                    It brought back memories to me of the time I spent in Canada
                    (Ottawa, Ontario) where the Rideau Canal which runs through the centre
                    of the city is turned over to skating in the winter from the locks to
                    the Ottawa River as far as Dows Lake. It was a wonderful experience
                    gliding through the city silently on skates. To add to the experience,
                    the ice was flooded each night to give a new ice surface for the
                    following day.

                    Warmest regards - Alan

                    Rob Alblas wrote:

                    > Winter continues in the Netherlands, with periods of freezing and thawy
                    > weather. Today I did do a real skate tour with my brother: 40 km through
                    > our heritage Alblasserwaard, on the river Alblas, starting in
                    > Alblasserdam. (Including the famous Kinderdijk.) On speed skates (sorry,
                    > John...)
                    > See how tour skating is done in the Netherlands, with all the obstacles
                    > we have to overcome:
                    >
                    > http://www.alblas.demon.nl/fotos/winter_0809b.html
                    > <http://www.alblas.demon.nl/fotos/winter_0809b.html>
                    >
                    > Rob Alblas.

                  • Rob Alblas
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 4, 2009
                      Alan,

                      The maps show the positions where photo's were taken. The second map shows
                      the Unesco World Heritage Kinderdijk; here it is really crowded with
                      windmills.
                      Actually, these are wind-water mills; they were used to pump water from
                      lower level ditches to upper ones, to keep the land dry.
                      I think most of them are still able to do their job, but the real thing
                      is done by electric pumps.

                      Yesterday ice was not very good in the villages because of all the
                      people on figure skates (sorry, John, again ;-))
                      Today weather is bad; rain, thaw, but it will freeze again tomorrow, and
                      hopefully the rain will do the same as the flooding of ice in Canada.

                      Under bridges ice is often a problem. If the 11-city tour is held they
                      do so-called 'ice transplantation': they remove a big piece of ice where
                      it isn't needed and place it in the water under bridges. After 1 night
                      freezing you can skate under that bridge. Yes, if it is about skating we
                      get really crazy...

                      Ice thickness is still not enough to organize big tours (there are lots
                      of them:
                      http://www.natuurijsschaatsen.nl/
                      )

                      For forecast of ice thickness see:

                      http://www.knmi.nl/exp/pluim/Data/ijs/PLUIM_06260_IJS.png

                      Rob Alblas.

                      Alan Sewards wrote:

                      > Rob,
                      > Thank you for the delightful series of photos of your skate tour. I
                      > was amazed by how many windmills were there! Are they still in use?
                      > It brought back memories to me of the time I spent in Canada
                      > (Ottawa, Ontario) where the Rideau Canal which runs through the centre
                      > of the city is turned over to skating in the winter from the locks to
                      > the Ottawa River as far as Dows Lake. It was a wonderful experience
                      > gliding through the city silently on skates. To add to the experience,
                      > the ice was flooded each night to give a new ice surface for the
                      > following day.
                      >
                      > Warmest regards - Alan

                    • Alan Banks
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 4, 2009
                        Hi Rob
                        Another Alan here.
                        In East Anglia we just call them 'Wind Pumps'. Nowhere near as numerous
                        as in The Netherlands, most don't work and all replaced by electric pumps.
                        Cheers

                        Message 11 of 18 , Jan 11, 2009
                          Last week freezing weather continued, resulting in 'reliable ice'. (Last
                          time was 12 years ago.)
                          This weekend several tours were organized: choose a tour, get a card,
                          skate and collect stamps, and if you succeed get a medail. Saturday
                          100000 persons did these tours; organizers got short of medails! Sunday
                          even more people did do these tours.
                          Roads got carpet, so skaters could pass roads to go from one lake to the
                          other, without damaging the irons. Some skaters did even "kluun" over
                          railroads (16 trains each hour!), so trains had to slow down.
                          Next week thaw is coming up, but temps seem to go down at the end of the
                          week again.
                          We want more!

                          See:

                          http://www.alblas.demon.nl/schaats/winter_0809c.html

                          http://www.alblas.demon.nl/schaats/winter_0809d.html

                          http://www.alblas.demon.nl/schaats/winter_0809e.html

                          Rob Alblas.
                        • geojohnt@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jan 12, 2009
                            sat@... writes:

                            Last week freezing weather continued, resulting in 'reliable ice'. (Last
                            time was 12 years ago.)
                            This weekend several tours were organized: choose a tour, get a card,
                            skate and collect stamps, and if you succeed get a medail. Saturday
                            100000 persons did these tours; organizers got short of medails! Sunday
                            even more people did do these tours.

                            Hi Rob,

                            I'm green with envy!
                            The photos are great and I would have loved to have taken part.

                            Mind you with so many people on the ice at the same time - I'm not so sure.
                            Could have been a rather large splash!

                            Regards,
                            John.

                          • Ruud Jansen
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jan 14, 2009
                              Hallo Rob,
                              For helping you (and the other skating dutch people)for skating next
                              week, I send you here from Calangute (GOA, INDIA) some ICE.
                              see http://www.kookadri.nl/afbeeldingen/ice.jpg
                              Greetings from GOA (now 36 degrees C)
                              Ruud

                              Ruud Jansen