Eclipse from Space ??

  • John Locker
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 1 10:36 AM
      Well I thought it was going to be easy to spot today's eclipse on one or two
      of the weather sat images from this morning , but not so !

      The only evidence I can find is here

      http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/realtime/2008214/crefl2_143.A2008214100000-2008214100500.2km.jpg

      Notice the dark area on the right of the image , which ties in with the path
      of the shadow across the Barents Sea.

      John

      http://satcom.website.orange.co.uk/
    • geojohnt@aol.com
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 1 11:13 AM
        john@... writes:

        Well I thought it was going to be easy to spot today's eclipse on one or two
        of the weather sat images from this morning , but not so !

        John,

        Not so!

        Animate Meteosat-7 visible and the shadow is very prominent - though a bit
        fast at only 2 frames per hour.

        Regards,
        John.

      • geojohnt@aol.com
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 1 11:21 AM
          john@... writes:

          Well I thought it was going to be easy to spot today's eclipse on one or two
          of the weather sat images from this morning , but not so !

          John,

          I should also have said the shadow was very visible skirting across the
          Arctic region on Meteosat-9 VIS before dropping down into Siberia.

          John.

        • brekaman
          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 1 11:48 AM
            John,
            I watched the partial eclipse here in Bulgaria and my 12.28 N17 and
            13.25 N18 (FLE time) APT images show the shadows, even though not
            the best of images.http://www.wxsat.org/wxtoimg.htm/

            Rob

            --- In GEO-Subscribers@yahoogroups.com, "John Locker" <john@...>

            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 1 12:03 PM
              Typo try again,
              http://www.wxsat.org/wxtoimg.htm/
              Regards

              wrote:

              > Well I thought it was going to be easy to spot today's eclipse on
              one or two
              > of the weather sat images from this morning , but not so !
              >
              > The only evidence I can find is here

              http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/realtime/2008214/crefl2_143.A20082
              14100000-2008214100500.2km.jpg

              > Notice the dark area on the right of the image , which ties in
              with the path
              > of the shadow across the Barents Sea.
              >
              > John
              >

              > http://satcom.website.orange.co.uk/

            • Alan Banks
              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 1 1:00 PM
                Hi John,
                If you get Metop try the 10.13 chunk. Its not brilliant but dark shadow
                on the artic ocean.
                Alan

              • geojohnt@aol.com
                Message 7 of 20 , Aug 1 2:56 PM
                  alan@... writes:

                  If you get Metop try the 10.13 chunk. Its not brilliant but dark shadow
                  on the artic ocean.

                  Hi Alan,

                  I was going to check Metop and NOAA-17/18 AVHRR tomorrow when I get a bit of
                  time.
                  I must also check HRV since it showed well on Meteosat-9 channel 2 across
                  the Arctic region.

                  The shadow across Siberia was really wide - far more so than the eclipse
                  across the Sahara a couple of years ago.
                  I guess the distorted 'slant angle?'

                  Regards,
                  John.

                • geojohnt@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 20 , Aug 1 3:07 PM
                    Hi Rob,

                    Thanks for your pics.
                    I suspect you saw more of the Sun covered than we did here being much closer
                    to the centre line.
                    Here in the SE we only got a little nibble in the top lefthand corner.

                    There was a good webcast from someone in Norway showing something near 1/2
                    cover.
                    Although I got into the Novosibirsk town website the video stream of the
                    eclipse didn't seem to be working - at least before I had to go out.

                    Anyway, GEO are taking bookings now for the GEO trip to Shanghai for next
                    years total eclipse of the Sun on July 22nd which will be an impressive 6
                    minutes of totality.

                    Regards,
                    John.

                  • Alan Banks
                    Message 9 of 20 , Aug 1 3:37 PM
                      Hi John,
                      Looking at other images of the area from N17/18, what I thought was
                      shadow, probably isn't. Its an effect of dark sea and cloud formations.
                      Cheers
                      Alan

                      geojohnt@... wrote:

                      > alan@... writes:
                      >
                      > If you get Metop try the 10.13 chunk. Its not brilliant but dark shadow
                      > on the artic ocean.
                      >

                      > Hi Alan,
                      >
                      > I was going to check Metop and NOAA-17/18 AVHRR tomorrow when I get a bit of
                      > time.
                      > I must also check HRV since it showed well on Meteosat-9 channel 2 across
                      > the Arctic region.
                      >
                      > The shadow across Siberia was really wide - far more so than the eclipse
                      > across the Sahara a couple of years ago.
                      > I guess the distorted 'slant angle?'
                      >
                      > Regards,
                      > John.

                      > Check your status by looking at the label on your latest issue or contact members@... by email
                      >
                      > ** AUTOMATIC CREDIT CARD RENEWAL **
                      >
                      > GEO will be operating automatic credit card renewal to save you time and reduce our administration. If you wish to convert to automated renewal contact members@... by email. Also a tick box is provided on the application form to indicate your preference. The form can be found here :- http://www.geo-web.org.uk/join.pdf Your credit card details will be held securely.
                      >
                      > Contact details ### GEO is run by volunteers ###
                      >
                      > David Anderson members@... Membership enquiries
                      > Ray Godden webmaster@... GEO website
                      > Les Hamilton editor@... GEO Quarterly Editor
                      > John Tellick info@... General enquiries
                      > Peter Wakelin meteo@... Meteorological matters
                      > Francis Bell francis@... Public Relations and Education
                      > Clive Finnis shop@... *** GEO SHOP ***
                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • brekaman
                      Message 10 of 20 , Aug 1 4:38 PM
                        Hi John,
                        Didn't see as much as I thought I would, despite clear skies, also
                        got an 11 o'clock position "nibble" here! (42N 24E). I saw the
                        Norweigen site but got my best views from an online site in China,
                        (China is pronounced k-tye here in BG) OK about Novosibirsk, I was
                        many times in Omsk a few years ago, but that's another story :o)

                        Oh, it would be neat to go to Shanghai, China is one country I have
                        never visited, just flown over it on my way to PH, but I'll be happy
                        if I can just make the GEO conference again.Busy building a HRPT
                        station at the moment.Don't think i'll have enough brass to go China!

                        Temperatures forecast 30c - 35c deg sunny for the next week here.
                        Could do with some more rain.Excellent harvest of Apples,Pears,
                        Plums and tomatoes.
                        Best Wishes from Bulgaria

                        Rob.

                        --- In GEO-Subscribers@yahoogroups.com, geojohnt@... wrote:

                        > Hi Rob,
                        >
                        > Thanks for your pics.
                        > I suspect you saw more of the Sun covered than we did here being
                        much closer
                        > to the centre line.
                        > Here in the SE we only got a little nibble in the top lefthand
                        corner.

                        > There was a good webcast from someone in Norway showing something
                        near 1/2
                        > cover.
                        > Although I got into the Novosibirsk town website the video stream
                        of the
                        > eclipse didn't seem to be working - at least before I had to go
                        out.

                        > Anyway, GEO are taking bookings now for the GEO trip to Shanghai
                        for next
                        > years total eclipse of the Sun on July 22nd which will be an
                        impressive 6
                        > minutes of totality.
                        >
                        > Regards,
                        > John.
                      • Mike Jupp
                        Message 11 of 20 , Aug 1 11:11 PM
                          wrote:

                          > Well I thought it was going to be easy to spot today's eclipse on
                          one or two
                          > of the weather sat images from this morning , but not so !

                          Hi John and All.

                          Fiddled about with Channel 2 METOP data and came up with this image
                          of the shadow as it crossed the Yamal Peninsular Russia.
                          I had to do two auto contrasts in PSP to make the shadow elipse
                          standout.
                          You can see it quite easily just under halfway down the image, on the
                          far right.
                          This is the exact position of the eclipse at 1010utc and METOP
                          caught, just.
                          The image is about 120kb and is from channel 2
                          Image at
                          http://www.weathersatellite.info/soleclip.jpg

                          Cheers.....Mike
                        • David J Taylor
                          Message 12 of 20 , Aug 2 12:28 AM
                            Mike Jupp wrote:
                            []
                            > Hi John and All.
                            >
                            > Fiddled about with Channel 2 METOP data and came up with this image
                            > of the shadow as it crossed the Yamal Peninsular Russia.
                            []
                            > Cheers.....Mike

                            Mike,

                            Thanks for pointing out that pass. I played as well and came up with
                            this:

                            http://www.satsignal.eu/software/hrpt_samples.htm#2008eclipse

                            Cheers,
                            David
                            Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
                            Email: davidtaylor@...
                          • Patrik Tast
                            Message 13 of 20 , Aug 2 1:55 AM
                              Hi All,

                              On the NOAA 17 09:30 UTC APT pass we can it also clearly over North
                              Greenland.
                              http://www.poes-weather.com/~patrik/tmp/080801_092235_NOAA_17.jpg

                              At Vasa, FI (63 N) I could see it through my welding-helmet. The overlap was
                              about ~ 40 %.
                              I will have to wait 100 years to see the next full eclipse in FI. I might
                              bee too old to experience that one?
                              (....well, if I stopped smoking....)

                              Patrik

                              >> Fiddled about with Channel 2 METOP data and came up with this image
                              >> of the shadow as it crossed the Yamal Peninsular Russia.
                              > []
                              >> Cheers.....Mike
                              >
                              > Mike,
                              >
                              > Thanks for pointing out that pass. I played as well and came up with
                              > this:
                              >
                              > http://www.satsignal.eu/software/hrpt_samples.htm#2008eclipse
                              >
                              > Cheers,
                              > David
                              > --
                              > SatSignal software - quality software written to your requirements
                              > Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
                              > Email: davidtaylor@...

                              > Check your status by looking at the label on your latest issue or contact
                              > members@... by email
                              >
                              > ** AUTOMATIC CREDIT CARD RENEWAL **
                              >
                              > GEO will be operating automatic credit card renewal to save you time and
                              > reduce our administration. If you wish to convert to automated renewal
                              > contact members@... by email. Also a tick box is provided on
                              > the application form to indicate your preference. The form can be found
                              > here :- http://www.geo-web.org.uk/join.pdf Your credit card details will
                              > be held securely.
                              >
                              > Contact details ### GEO is run by volunteers ###
                              >
                              > David Anderson members@... Membership enquiries
                              > Ray Godden webmaster@... GEO website
                              > Les Hamilton editor@... GEO Quarterly Editor
                              > John Tellick info@... General enquiries
                              > Peter Wakelin meteo@... Meteorological matters
                              > Francis Bell francis@... Public Relations and Education
                              > Clive Finnis shop@... *** GEO SHOP ***
                              > Yahoo! Groups Links

                            • Mike Jupp
                              Message 14 of 20 , Aug 2 2:57 AM
                                --- In GEO-Subscribers@yahoogroups.com, "David J Taylor" <gm8arv@...>
                                wrote:

                                > Mike Jupp wrote:
                                > []
                                > > Hi John and All.
                                > >
                                > > Fiddled about with Channel 2 METOP data and came up with this
                                image
                                > > of the shadow as it crossed the Yamal Peninsular Russia.
                                > []
                                > > Cheers.....Mike
                                >
                                > Mike,
                                >
                                > Thanks for pointing out that pass. I played as well and came up
                                with
                                > this:
                                >
                                > http://www.satsignal.eu/software/hrpt_samples.htm#2008eclipse
                                >
                                > Cheers,
                                > David

                                Hi David.
                                Yes!....your image has come out very well.
                                Thanks....Mike
                              • Rob Alblas
                                Message 15 of 20 , Aug 2 5:54 AM
                                  Some eclipse pics from NOAA17, METOP, and movies of Met7 and Met9 are here:

                                  http://www.alblas.demon.nl/wsat/weerpl.html#DUISTER

                                  Including pics and movies of earlier eclipses.

                                  Rob Alblas.
                                • Prem Holdaway
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Aug 2 9:52 AM
                                    Four pictures of the eclipse from 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. GMT. From Meteor7.
                                    Use the link below
                                    http://web.ukonline.co.uk/phold/august.html

                                    Prem Holdaway
                                    phold@...

                                    18:59
                                  • Lawrence Harris
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Aug 2 10:40 AM
                                      Through the heavy clouds on Friday I saw the actual eclipse for about 15
                                      seconds! I was all set up with the telescope and camera to do something for the
                                      GEO mag but it was not to be......

                                      Lawrence
                                    • Dale Ireland
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Aug 2 12:17 PM
                                        I can't find any geosynchronous satellite images of China. Aren't there any
                                        real time images online from FY or other Asian satellites?
                                      • Moore, Robert
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Aug 2 12:19 PM
                                          Prem those are the clearest images I have seen of the eclipse. Very nice.

                                          Robert

                                          Four pictures of the eclipse from 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. GMT. From Meteor7.
                                          Use the link below
                                          http://web.ukonline.co.uk/phold/august.html

                                          Prem Holdaway
                                          phold@...

                                        • Les Hamilton
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Aug 2 2:19 PM
                                            Try

                                            http://satellite.cma.gov.cn/eng/

                                            You can look at FY2C/D IR images at hourly and half-hourly intervale.

                                            If you register, you can download full image data (5 channels) as HDF files,
                                            but we're talking about 200 MB downloads here.

                                            There will be an article devoted to this aspect of the site in GEO
                                            MQuarterly No 19.

                                            Les