Eclipse of the Sun tomorrow [Thursday].

  • geojohnt@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 6, 2008
      All,

      There will be an annular eclipse of the Sun tomorrow but it's rather a long
      way to go to see it - Antarctica!
      People in NZ will see quite a good coverage partial Eclipse and the east
      coast of Australia will see a small bite out of the Sun.

      Details and animation map at: _www.spaceweather.com_
      (http://www.spaceweather.com)

      Regards,
      John Tellick.

    • Alan Banks
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 6, 2008
        Unfortunately John, there isn't a satellite footprint that will get a
        decent set of images for this.
        I have a 2.8Mb .wmv of an annular eclipse as it crossed the South
        Atlantic in Sept 2006 here
        > http://www.alanbanks.org.uk/solareclipse-230906_fc.wmv

        or in much lower resolution try
        > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqYKNdHyYKM

        Cheers
        Alan

      • geojohnt@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 6, 2008
          alanjamesbanks@... writes:

          Unfortunately John, there isn't a satellite footprint that will get a
          decent set of images for this.
          I have a 2.8Mb .wmv of an annular eclipse as it crossed the South
          Atlantic in Sept 2006 here
          > _http://www.alanbankhttp://wwhttp://www.alhttp://wwwhtt_
          (http://www.alanbanks.org.uk/solareclipse-230906_fc.wmv)

          Hi Alan,

          Thanks for the animation, I've got this also but in good old fashioned B/W.
          Still haven't got round to animation via GSS yet.

          Regards,
          John.

        • Dale Ireland
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 6, 2008
            There are a couple full visible disk satellite images that show the eclipse
            area, somewhat. Beware of word wrapping in these urls

            https://metocph.nmci.navy.mil/cgi-bin/image.pl?pearl+GOES.Fulldisk.Visible+1
            +https://metocph.nmci.navy.mil/sat/goesfull/vis/goesfull_vs.jpg

            https://metocph.nmci.navy.mil/cgi-bin/image.pl?pearl+GMS.Indian.Ocean/West.P
            ac.Visible+1+https://metocph.nmci.navy.mil/jtwc/archive/g5vwp/g5vwp.jpg

            Also, there are two progress craft trailing the ISS. This morning was one 5
            minutes behind and the other 15 minutes. Not sure where they are now
            relative to ISS.

            You should be able to see the shuttle from Europe tomorrow as it rises to
            orbit.

            Dale Ireland

          • geojohnt@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 7, 2008
              direland@... writes:

              Also, there are two progress craft trailing the ISS. This morning was one 5
              minutes behind and the other 15 minutes. Not sure where they are now
              relative to ISS.

              Hi Dale,

              Thanks for the links.

              Yes, there are/were two 'Russian' progress supply spacecraft on the same
              path as the ISS.
              M62 and M63.
              M62 undocked from the ISS on Monday (I believe it was) and will de-orbit in
              a couple of weeks hopefully ditching somewhere in the Pacific.
              M63 should have docked with the ISS this morning [Thursday] with fresh
              supplies.

              The ISS came over UK/Europe this evening at 17:30 GMT and was at almost max.
              magnitude at -2.3.
              We are very well placed during the next week or so for good visible passes -
              weather permitting.

              So, looking forward to seeing the Shuttle trailing the ISS tomorrow evening
              - weather looks good for southern UK.
              And, Progress M62 will be there also some minutes later.

              Great live pictures of the Shuttle launch this evening from NASA.

              Regards,
              John.