Re: GOES LRIT Administrative Messages - Where are they ???

  • David G. Brooks
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2008
      Thanks, Paul, for calling me yesterday and discussing this matter, I
      will see what I can do to suggest some other products for the LRIT
      service and I'll leave the updating of the Admin. Messages to you.

      By the way, I noticed this morning that the GOES-12 IR South and the
      GOES-12 IR Special 1 are very similar, covering basically the same area,
      of southern South America, only with just a small difference. So maybe
      one of these is redundant. My reception header data of the two images
      are as follows:

      Service: LRIT, GOES-12
      Type: Image data, GOES-12 product
      Product: IR special 1
      Date: Fri, Feb 1, 2008
      Time: 05:09:24 (GMT)
      Segments: 5 of 5 (1-5)

      Service: LRIT, GOES-12
      Type: Image data, GOES-12 product
      Product: IR south
      Date: Fri, Feb 1, 2008
      Time: 11:09:23 (GMT)
      Segments: 5 of 5 (1-5)

      If it is possible for you to look back at these frames you will see that
      the Special 1 is only slightly clipped north & south but the east/west
      boundaries appear the same as the South image and this appears to be so
      for IR, WV and VIS.

      Best Regards,
      David.

      --

      --------------------------
      David G. Brooks

      Home Tel: (246) 436-1417

      Work Tel: (246) 431-0193
      Work Cel: (246) 266-8732
      Work Fax: (246) 431-0192

    • David G. Brooks
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 11, 2008
        Hi Paul,

        Thanks for getting the Admin. messages going on the GOES-12 LRIT data
        stream. I just want to take note on this here for the record and
        congratulate NOAA/NESDIS/OSDPD for taking action here. A giant step
        forward for GOES LRIT - next, product additions & improvements.

        So as promised here are a few things you can consider, I will add as I
        find other sources ...

        Graphic Products Legend (once per day ? this would just be nice but
        redundant I suppose)
        http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/tafb/LEGENDbw.gif

        GOES LRIT Product Schedule(s)

        Tropical Surface Analysis (at appropriate times - i.e. when issued)

        http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/tafb/ATSA_00Zbw.gif
        http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/tafb/ATSA_06Zbw.gif
        http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/tafb/ATSA_12Zbw.gif
        http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/tafb/ATSA_18Zbw.gif

        Danger Areas

        http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/tafb/danger_atl_03bw.gif
        http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/tafb/danger_atl_09bw.gif
        http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/tafb/danger_atl_15bw.gif
        http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/tafb/danger_atl_21bw.gif
        http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/tafb/danger_atlbw.gif

        METEOSAT-8 - Eastern Atlantic imagery

        Tropical Advisories & Warnings - (GOES-12 Atlantic & Eastern Pacific;
        GOES-11 would have Eastern & West Pacific)
        e.g. ...

        ZCZC MIATCPAT4 ALL
        TTAA00 KNHC DDHHMM
        BULLETIN
        HURRICANE DEAN ADVISORY NUMBER 13
        NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL042007
        1100 AM AST THU AUG 16 2007

        ...DEAN INTENSIFYING AS IT APPROACHES THE LESSER ANTILLES...

        I suppose some of this may be handled by EMWIN but I have not done
        anything in this area and am told that not much of it is relevant for
        these parts.

        Even GOES-12 WEFAX used to relay a few products from other satellites
        (see MET-8 request above) or services, for instance would it possible to
        get QUIKSCAT or other useful weather products relayed via GOES LRIT,
        especially during the Hurricane Seasons, since there is available bandwidth.

        Regards,
        David.

        David G. Brooks wrote:

> [...]
        > >> has suggestions or comments. We ask that contact be made
        > >> via email to LRIT@... <mailto:LRIT%40noaa.gov>.
        > >>
        > >> If more immediate matters arise, that the user deems as urgent, we
        > >> advise the use of the following operational facility phone number:
        > >> 301-817-3880.
        > >> --------------------------------------
        > >

        > > Yet, I have received the following from the YahooGroups hosted
        > > [weather-satellite-reports] group. Considering that the last time
        > > there was a maneuver we had all kinds of problems/issues, would it not
        > > make sense to at least post the REMINDER via GOES LRIT Admin. Messages
        > > and maybe point to a web link for the DETAILS.
        > >
        > > I thought this would come under the "..., or has suggestions or
        > > comments." as per LRIT Admin Message #011 above - you only have to
        > > look at the message number (11) to see that not much is posted here.

        David G. Brooks
        "Jus-Ric",
        Rockley,
        Christ Church, BB15152