  • Geoff L. Kennedy
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 2004
      Hi All,

      I received an APT image from NOAA-17 just after the eruption
      of Mt. St. Helens (Washington state, USA) today. I have uploaded
      it to the group.

      The ash and steam plume can be seen as a very small bright area
      at about the 4 o'clock area just below and to the right of the
      orange dot (Seattle).

      The image file name is noaa-17-20041001192539GMT-s-za.jpg.

      --

      Geoff L. Kennedy North Delta, British Columbia, Canada
      glkenedy@... Lat: +49.176 Long: -122.895

      Amateur Radio Call: VE7WXS

      WxSat Imagery: http://wxsat.gelaken.ca
      Personal Webpage: http://ve7wxs.gelaken.ca
    • Mike Jupp
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 2, 2004
        Hi Geoff.
        I have downloaded the NOAA-17 data from the Archive and cannot see
        anything on HRPT. I have made an image of the area around Mt St
        Helens and it shows snow on Mt Rainier, Mt Adams and some on Mt Hood,
        south of the Columbia.
        Mt St Helens shows as a darkish area to the west of Mt Adams, no
        obvious emissions. Would assume this eruption was'nt big enough or
        the cloud dispersed by the time the sat went over.
        Your image was not in the files area last time I looked.
        If anyone wants to view the image I made it's at:
        http://www.weathersatellite.info/A1946091-vg-corrected.jpg

        It's in vegation mode and is about 250kb

        Cheers....Mike
      • David J Taylor
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 2, 2004
          Mike Jupp wrote:
          > Hi Geoff.
          > I have downloaded the NOAA-17 data from the Archive and cannot see
          > anything on HRPT.
          []
          > It's in vegation mode and is about 250kb
          >
          > Cheers....Mike

          Yes, I did the same, Mike, and saw nothing. I thought I would wait for a
          second opinion, though, in case the OP's date or time was wrong. There is
          a report about the eruption here:

          http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3709226.stm

          although it doesn't give a time for the eruption. There's more
          information here:

          http://vulcan.wr.usgs.gov/Volcanoes/MSH/CurrentActivity/

          which includes: "The event lasted from 11:57 to 12:21 PDT"

          so that's around 19:00 UTC (I think, allowing for daylight saving time).
          Better check the NOAA-16 pass as well!

          For ash, you might also want to check the Ch4 - Ch5 image.

          Cheers,
          David
          --
          SatSignal Software - quality software written to your requirements
          Web: http://www.satsignal.net
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 2, 2004
            Hi David.
            I have not checked any other sat passes but seeing as this was a
            small event it's possible it will not be visible but I stand to be
            corrected.
            Seeing that the NOAA-17 pass was nicely cloud free I have made some
            3D images if anyone is interested. They were produced with David's
            HRPTReader, Groundmap and 3DEM software, data from the NOAA Archive.

            The first image is of the Mt St Helens area looking past Mt Rainier
            towards the SSE. St Helens being the dark mountain with the dent in
            it.
            http://www.weathersatellite.info/sthelen4.jpg
            About 100kb in size.

            The second image is a large format image of the whole Seattle area
            centred on St Helens.
            http://www.weathersatellite.info/sthelen6.jpg
            About 400kb in size.

            The third image is a view looking down the Cascades to the south, Mt
            Rainier in the foreground.
            http://www.weathersatellite.info/sthelen8.jpg
            About 100kb in size.

            Cheers....Mike
          • Geoff L. Kennedy
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 9, 2004
              On Sat, 2 Oct 2004, Mike Jupp wrote:

              > Hi Geoff.

              Hi Mike !

              > I have downloaded the NOAA-17 data from the Archive and cannot see
              > anything on HRPT. I have made an image of the area around Mt St

              Heh, I did the same thing.....and saw the same results... ;-(

              I've now realised that what I thought was a plume has shown up
              on other images before and since. I guess that I was a little too
              "gung ho" in reporting the event. ;-( Oh, well......

              > the cloud dispersed by the time the sat went over.

              N17 went over within a half hour (don't remember the exact times)
              of the end of the event, IIRC.

              > Your image was not in the files area last time I looked.

              Yeah, I noticed that as well. I guess I have to RTFM. :-)))))

              --

              Geoff L. Kennedy North Delta, British Columbia, Canada
              glkenedy@... Lat: +49.176 Long: -122.895

              Amateur Radio Call: VE7WXS

              WxSat Imagery: http://wxsat.gelaken.ca
              Personal Webpage: http://ve7wxs.gelaken.ca
            • Nick Atrill
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 9, 2004
                For those of you that might want to volcano watch

                http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/volcanocams/msh/

                Unfortunatly it was raining there most of yesterday and there wasent much to
                see

                lets hope today bring better weather

                Nick