The Danube

  • Les Hamilton
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 1, 2006
      David,

      You can download the HRP file from SMIS at this address:

      http://smisdata.iki.rssi
      ru/data/noaa/archive/noaa_tlm/tlm/l1f/00050888/n3_0368.l1f

      Les

      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 1, 2006
        Mike this pass was below my usable horizon - where are you located?

        Robert

        Hi All.
        Caught this super NOAA-12, channel 5 image of the Danube this afternoon.
        Practically the whole course from the Black Sea to Lake Balaton stands
        out clearly.
        Image is about 90kb and processed with David Taylor's HRPTReader.

        http://www.wxsat.net/NOAA12%201513%2031-10-2006-c5.jpg <http://www.wxsat.net/NOAA12%201513%2031-10-2006-c5.jpg>

        Mike

      • David J Taylor
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 1, 2006
          Les Hamilton wrote:
          > David,
          >
          > You can download the HRP file from SMIS at this address:
          >
          > http://smisdata.iki.rssi.ru/data/noaa/archive/noaa_tlm/tlm/l1f/00050888/n3_0368.l1f
          >
          > Les

          Thanks, Les, I'll take a look.

          Oh, that's excellent - one of the best SMIS passes I've seen for a long
          time.

          Cheers,
          David
          Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
          Email: davidtaylor@...

        • Les Hamilton
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 1, 2006
            David,

            Glad you liked it.

            Here's a superb early morning NOAA-18 pass from SMIS (today's) showing the
            entire UK clearly

            http://smisdata.iki.rssi
            ru/data/noaa/archive/noaa_tlm/tlm/l1f/00050892/n8_7468.l1f

            Les

          • David J Taylor
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 1, 2006
              Les Hamilton wrote:
              > David,
              >
              > Glad you liked it.
              >
              > Here's a superb early morning NOAA-18 pass from SMIS (today's)
              > showing the
              > entire UK clearly
              >
              > http://smisdata.iki.rssi.ru/data/noaa/archive/noaa_tlm/tlm/l1f/00050892/n8_7468.l1f
              >
              > Les

              Thanks, Les.

              That's one which came through EUMETCast so no need for me to download the
              SMIS file. But pointing out these files may remind people that both you
              can get HRPT data from the Internet (easier with broadband more widely
              available), and that even those passes without any visible channel content
              can be processed to produce to revealing features.

              Cheers,
              David
              Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
              Email: davidtaylor@...

              All New Yahoo! Mail – Tired of Vi@gr@! come-ons? Let our SpamGuard protect you. http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html
            • Mike Jupp
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 1, 2006
                --- In GEO-Subscribers@yahoogroups.com, "Moore, Robert" <rsmoore@...>
                wrote:

                > Mike this pass was below my usable horizon - where are you located?
                >
                > Robert

                Hi Robert.
                I am in West Sussex on the northern, scarp side of the Southdowns about
                5miles in land from Shoreham by Sea...a small town called Steyning.
                When I had the dish on a higher pole, about 15feet, I used to see as
                far as the Caspian Sea but dish is much lower now, about 6feet so only
                see to The Crimea area eastward.
                The Southdowns are from 90 degrees thru to 270degrees and are upto
                170metres, so restrict the lowdown passes.
                Cheers....Mike
              • Mike Jupp
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 1, 2006
                  --- In GEO-Subscribers@yahoogroups.com, "David J Taylor" <gm8arv@...>
                  wrote:
                  > That's one which came through EUMETCast so no need for me to
                  download the
                  > SMIS file. But pointing out these files may remind people that
                  both you
                  > can get HRPT data from the Internet (easier with broadband more
                  widely
                  > available), and that even those passes without any visible channel
                  content
                  > can be processed to produce to revealing features.
                  >
                  > Cheers,
                  > David

                  Hi David.
                  Yes the infrared is very good for things like desert and rivers,
                  showing striking features at times.
                  Here is an image of the Sahara from NOAA-12 at 0525utc on the 31st.
                  Amazing amount of detail can be seen.
                  Image is channel 4 and about 200kb.

                  http://www.wxsat.net/sahara.jpg

                  Cheers....Mike