Re: [GEO-Subscribers] Re: Future satellite services RX?

  • geojohnt@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 31, 2004
      In a message dated 29/08/04 09:34:01 GMT Daylight Time, hlulofs@...
      writes:

      My understanding is that only some of the METOP data
      will be encrypted. That will be data from European
      istruments devleoped by Eumetsat. U.S. instruments
      flying on METOP (and that, importantly, includes AVHRR)
      will not have encrypted data streams to comply with U.S.
      policy.

      Hendricus,

      There were all sorts of rumours flying around a few years ago vis a vis
      encryption of the joint polar orbiting project between NOAA and EUMETSAT.

      Some said none of the NOAA imaging would be encrypted but that the MetOp
      data would be encrypted over Europe only.

      It's been very quiet for some time now regarding these matters so perhaps a
      little research on my part won't go amiss?

      I can tell you that MetOp data both LRPT and AHRPT will be encrypted but
      amateurs have access to that data under the same conditions as for the MSG
      LRIT/HRIT data access policy [now EUMETCast data access].

      MetOp data will, of course, be included in the EUMETCast data stream in the
      future.

      Regards,
      John Tellick.
      GEO.

    • geojohnt@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 3, 2004
        a.van.belle@... writes:

        Any news on if MetOp will be unencrypted for US users for instance ?

        Arne,

        I am working on that and have already been in touch with EUMETSAT.
        You will recall the stories that were floating around some years ago that
        the European sensors on MetOp would be encrypted but not the US sensors.
        And likewise that the satellite would only be encrypted over Europe.

        Well, watch this space.

        Regards,
        John Tellick.
        GEO.