Re: [GEO-Subscribers] Re: collision

  • Alan Sewards
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 1, 2005
      You don't mention if you used a motorized dish or a second dish pointed
      at Astra 1G, but Sky uses the Astra satellite located at 28 degrees
      East, while Astra 1G is at 19 degrees East. Whether the Sky receiver
      (skybox) can be retuned to work with Astra 1G I don't know, but the
      symbol rate and FEC are different from regular Sky.
      Good luck!
      Alan

      Ap van Weeren wrote:

      > --- In GEO-Subscribers@yahoogroups.com, Peter Hayes <pedroh@b...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > On 30 Jun 2005, at 15:13, Ap van Weeren wrote:
      > >
      > > > This from ESA:
      > >
      > > <snip>
      > >
      > > > For more info on the Astra 1G reception, see
      > > > http://television.esa.int/photos/Astra.pdf
      > >
      > > Does this work with a Sky receiver? Trying it just now, 30/6/05
      > 20:00
      > > BST, all I get is "No Signal".
      > >
      > > Peter
      >
      > Peter, I don't know, maybe somebody in the Uk can give you some
      > advice. I use a motorized dish with a normal digital sat.receiver
      > (Arrox Tiger-X) and can receive the programs from ESA on Eutelsat W1
      > or Hotbird (via Ebs)
      > Succes, all the best,
      > Ap van Weeren
      >

      > Contact us details
      >
      > ### GEO SHOP IS NOW OPEN FOR BUSINESS ###
      >
      > Nigel Evans members@... Membership enquiries
      > Ray Godden webmaster@... GEO website
      > Les Hamilton editor@... GEO Quarterly Editor
      > John Tellick info@... General enquiries
      > Peter Wakelin meteo@... Meteorological matters
      > Francis Bell francis@... Public Relations and Education
      > Clive Finnis shop@... *** GEO SHOP ***

      > Weather
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Weather&w1=Weather&w2=Whilst&w3=Science&c=3&s=38&.sig=OpwHVAghkWfNznpMQgTEoQ>
      > Whilst
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Whilst&w1=Weather&w2=Whilst&w3=Science&c=3&s=38&.sig=NZxbvhC5CqtVITgOhz1nGQ>
      > Science
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Science&w1=Weather&w2=Whilst&w3=Science&c=3&s=38&.sig=3MfX4nchLElQaalJ1c8O7A>

      Alan Sewards
      email: alan.sewards@...
      b.sewards@...

      web site: http://asewards.free.fr

    • Ian Deans
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 1, 2005
        The sky box is not good for picking up other free to air channels because it
        can only deal with two symbol rates --- 22000 and 27500. Assuming your
        dish is pointing at the right satellite and one of these symbol rates is
        being used you should be ok. FEC is no problem -- the sky box has the full
        range.

        Regards
        Ian.

        > You don't mention if you used a motorized dish or a second dish pointed
        > at Astra 1G, but Sky uses the Astra satellite located at 28 degrees
        > East, while Astra 1G is at 19 degrees East. Whether the Sky receiver
        > (skybox) can be retuned to work with Astra 1G I don't know, but the
        > symbol rate and FEC are different from regular Sky.
        > Good luck!
        > Alan
        >
        > Ap van Weeren wrote:
        >
        >> --- In GEO-Subscribers@yahoogroups.com, Peter Hayes <pedroh@b...>
        >> wrote:

        >> > <snip>

        >> > Does this work with a Sky receiver? Trying it just now, 30/6/05
        >> 20:00
        >> > BST, all I get is "No Signal".
        >> >
        >> > Peter
      • Peter Hayes
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 1, 2005
          On 1 Jul 2005, at 08:14, Alan Sewards wrote:

          > You don't mention if you used a motorized dish or a second dish pointed
          > at Astra 1G, but Sky uses the Astra satellite located at 28 degrees
          > East, while Astra 1G is at 19 degrees East. Whether the Sky receiver
          > (skybox) can be retuned to work with Astra 1G I don't know, but the
          > symbol rate and FEC are different from regular Sky.
          > Good luck!
          > Alan

          Thanks both,

          I've only one dish and I guess it's pointing at the wrong satellite.

          The Sky box seemed happy to accept the different parameters. They were
          available as alternative settings.

          Ah well, c'est la vie...

          Peter

        • geojohnt@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 1, 2005
            pedroh@... writes:

            Does this work with a Sky receiver? Trying it just now, 30/6/05 20:00
            BST, all I get is "No Signal".

            Peter,

            Yes,

            The channel is free to air - FTA, so not encrypted.
            However the channel is not always active and sometimes is only fired up
            before a pending transmission.

            The same goes for some of the channels used on W1 - they may not be active
            till just before the ESA/NASA transmissions.

          • geojohnt@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 1, 2005
              pedroh@... writes:

              I've only one dish and I guess it's pointing at the wrong satellite.

              The Sky box seemed happy to accept the different parameters. They were
              available as alternative settings.

              Ah well, c'est la vie...

              Peter,

              Re. my response to an earlier e-mail of yours - I misread it in my haste and
              took it you meant SkyStar receiver for 'Sky receiver.'

              As others have said - if you have a Sky receiver a) you will probably be
              pointed at Astra 2 and 28.2 deg. E and b) I don't know if the Sky receiver will
              work on FTA signals - or at least allow you to change some of the signal
              parameters.

              Sorry for the confusion.

              Regards,
              John.