Re: [GEO-Subscribers] Windows 8 - love it or hate it?

  • Andy Eskelson
    Message 1 of 28 , Mar 13 9:08 AM
      My error, I was thinking of W7 Starter.;

      That has a few limits put on it, like no internet sharing, no IPP
      printing,

      Fortunately it's not that common from what I see on sale, Hom,e basic
      seems to be the more common low-end version.

      I do much the same as you, static IP everywhere apart from a couple of
      connections for the phone and kindle.

      Makes life much easier :-)

      Andy

      On Wed, 13 Mar 2013 09:57:30 -0000
      "David J Taylor" <gm8arv@...> wrote:

      > From: Andy Eskelson
      > []
      > Also I think that W7 Basic is very limited in networking... so be wary of
      > that if you ever come across it.
      > []
      > Another thing I do is use static IP addresses, not strictly necessary,
      > but I find it easier and I can then use host files to do a few things. In
      > particular getting XP to become visible on the network quickly can be
      > helped by adding machines to it's host file.
      >
      > In a home network, you can turn of IPV6 as well if you wish. (V6 can also
      > auto setup networks)
      >
      > Andy
      >
      > Andy,
      >
      > If you mean Windows-7 Starter edition, I have that on my Netbook and it
      > links in with the rest of the network without problems. I see no
      > restrictions around networking. About the only thing I haven't tried with
      > that PC is EUMETCast - it runs SDR software, Plane- and Ship Plotter with
      > hardware receivers, NTP, MRTG etc. and has travelled quite widely, plotting
      > its position from a Garmin GPSmap 60CSx receiver via the GpsGate software
      > (makes USB device visible as COM port).
      >
      > Like you, I prefer to use static addresses (although I let the Wi-Fi devices
      > float with a very long lease time), and I have also disabled IPv6 support
      > everywhere that I can.
      >
      > Cheers,
      > David
      > --
      > SatSignal Software - Quality software written to your requirements
      > Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
      > Email: david-taylor@...

    • Brian
      Message 2 of 28 , Mar 14 3:48 AM
        I have a brand new unopened XP Pro SP3 if anyone in the groups needs it.

        Brian