RE: [GEO-Subscribers] Re: Windows 8 - love it or hate it?

  • fvalk
    Message 1 of 28 , Mar 13, 2013
      Just to add to all that has been said on the subject, I have Win-8 64
      running on two machines and I don't even notice that they are running W8.
      On top of it, I don't have any start button or other plug-in installed and
      only when starting up (usually once every fortnight for maintenance) do I
      see the metro screen passing by before coming back to my normal windows work
      screen. Also in daily operation they don't stand out in any way when
      compared to two other machines running Win-7.
      I fully agree with Douglas' remarks concerning the need to move forward if
      one wants to take advantage of new developments. Maybe I'm in that minority
      percentage of people that don't mind to spend some time getting the feel for
      the new OS, but I did not encounter any complication in the process of
      getting acquainted nor did it take a long time.
      In summary, it is not all misery with W-8....
      Merely my opinion though.

      Ferdinand

      > It's also important to remember that if you want to get the most out of
      > modern computers, such as 64 bit, larger memory usage, SSDs and USB 3 (my
      > regular image back-ups to an external HD now take 6 minutes rather than
      > over an hour) then you do need a modern OS.
      > I agree with David about Windows 8. After I have pressed the 'windows'
      > button after boot up I never see the metro screen again. I look upon that
      as
      > being there for other purposes for other users.
      >
      > Regards,
      > Douglas.

    • Andy Eskelson
      Message 2 of 28 , Mar 13, 2013
        My error, I was thinking of W7 Starter.;

        That has a few limits put on it, like no internet sharing, no IPP
        printing,

        Fortunately it's not that common from what I see on sale, Hom,e basic
        seems to be the more common low-end version.

        I do much the same as you, static IP everywhere apart from a couple of
        connections for the phone and kindle.

        Makes life much easier :-)

        Andy

        On Wed, 13 Mar 2013 09:57:30 -0000
        "David J Taylor" <gm8arv@...> wrote:

        > From: Andy Eskelson
        > []
        > Also I think that W7 Basic is very limited in networking... so be wary of
        > that if you ever come across it.
        > []
        > Another thing I do is use static IP addresses, not strictly necessary,
        > but I find it easier and I can then use host files to do a few things. In
        > particular getting XP to become visible on the network quickly can be
        > helped by adding machines to it's host file.
        >
        > In a home network, you can turn of IPV6 as well if you wish. (V6 can also
        > auto setup networks)
        >
        > Andy
        >
        > Andy,
        >
        > If you mean Windows-7 Starter edition, I have that on my Netbook and it
        > links in with the rest of the network without problems. I see no
        > restrictions around networking. About the only thing I haven't tried with
        > that PC is EUMETCast - it runs SDR software, Plane- and Ship Plotter with
        > hardware receivers, NTP, MRTG etc. and has travelled quite widely, plotting
        > its position from a Garmin GPSmap 60CSx receiver via the GpsGate software
        > (makes USB device visible as COM port).
        >
        > Like you, I prefer to use static addresses (although I let the Wi-Fi devices
        > float with a very long lease time), and I have also disabled IPv6 support
        > everywhere that I can.
        >
        > Cheers,
        > David
        > --
        > SatSignal Software - Quality software written to your requirements
        > Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
        > Email: david-taylor@...

      • Brian
        Message 3 of 28 , Mar 14, 2013
          I have a brand new unopened XP Pro SP3 if anyone in the groups needs it.

          Brian