Ranulph Fiennes expedition.

  • wonker3_2000
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 4, 2013
      All,

      Just a thought?

      There has been some coverage recently about the current Ranulph Fiennes
      expedition to Antarctica - more so since he has had to pull out with severe
      frostbite to a hand.

      The BBC keep referring to this expedition as crossing the Antarctic in
      winter.
      And yesterday the reporter who interviewed Fiennes in Cape Town referred
      to the situation as "the dead of winter" in Antarctica

      Well, surely if we are just coming out of winter in the northern hemisphere
      it can't be winter in the Antarctic - and darkness (as referred to some)
      weeks ago, in Antarctica?

      Or, am I just being a little picky (in my old age)?

      It's damn cold and unpleasant to be sure - but the BBC should get their
      facts right?

      Still not having access to EUMETCast, I can't see if it's light or dark
      there now.

      Regards,
      John Tellick

    • Matthew Lazzara
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 4, 2013
        Hello John,

        You are correct - Antarctica is just at the end of its "summer" time right now - so sunsets are just starting to occur after the sun has been up all of the time...in fact, its getting close to having equal night/day with the equinox coming up in just a few weeks:

        http://amrc.ssec.wisc.edu/data/view-data.php?action=view_image&product=satellite/composite/VIS-COMPOSITE-683.GIF

        Cheers,

        Matthew