Re: GEO Quarterly 37 will be published in March

  • Jerry Dahl
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 3, 2013
      Les,

      It seems that direct reception of weather satellites has died out with the arrival of EUMETCast.

      In the meantime, I have designed a low cost LRIT Media Player for direct reception of LRIT/HRIT GOES satellites and upcoming LRPT polar satellites. The component parts cost less than $60 USD.

      Is there interest in my writing an construction article for GEO? It will allow amateurs to build the LRIT decoder circuit and to load the firmware. I will also have raw un-assembled PCB's available to ease the construction.

      Regards,
      Jerry Dahl

      --- In GEO-Subscribers@yahoogroups.com, "Les Hamilton" wrote:

      > This quarter's magazine contains some of the best articles GEO has received
      > for a long time. It's an eclectic mix covering such diverse topics as
      > Decoding APT with a DVB-T dongle and SDR, predicting earthquakes from
      > satellite data and a feature on the early years of satellite meteorology.
      >

      > You can read a synopsis of the main features at this URL
      >

      > http://www.geo-web.org.uk/mag.html
      >

      > Les Hamilton (Editor)
      >

      > -----
      > No virus found in this message.

    • Les Hamilton
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 3, 2013
        Absolutely.

        See this link, particularly the section on InSAR.

        Isn't a forecast a prediction?

        Les

        http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2003/11aug_earthquakes/

        Les

        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 3, 2013
          One specific that can (and has) been pursued backwards in time involves using AVHRR from satellites to determine ground temperatures where earthquakes are known to have occurred.

          In many cases, ground temperatures clearly rose 5°C or more in the vicinity of the quake, usually during the preceding 48 hours, despite the fact that there was no impedence to solar radiation (clouds) at that time.

          Les

          --- In GEO-Subscribers@yahoogroups.com, "David J Taylor" wrote:

          > Hi Les,
          >
          > From the “Selected Contents” of the forthcoming march GEO
          >
          > “Did you know that satellite evidence can actually predict earthquakes? Esko
          > Petäjä has produced a fascinating article in which he explores this,”
          >
          > Are you confident in this assertion ? I am sure a lot of Seismologists would
          > be interested.
          >
          > Or should it read “Earthquake Forecasting”….big difference
          >
          > regards
          > Dale
          >
          > Dale,
          >
          > I haven't seen the article, but some TV programs I have seen mention that
          > the gas content can change just before an eruption, and I guess that /might/
          > be observable from space. We'll need to wait until we get our GEO
          > Quarterlies to find out!
          >
          > Those who aren't yet members can join GEO here:
          >
          > http://www.geo-web.org.uk/
          >
          > Cheers,
          > David
          > --
          > SatSignal Software - Quality software written to your requirements
          > Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
          > Email: david-taylor@...

        • Les Hamilton
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 3, 2013
            Hi Jerry,

            I would think there would be great interest in such a project. LRIT/HRIT are the future of this hobby, and this offers enthusiasts a great way of tapping into these newer modes.

            I look forward to hearing from you

            Les

            email: geoeditor@...

            I have designed a low cost LRIT Media Player for direct reception of LRIT/HRIT GOES satellites and upcoming LRPT polar satellites. The component parts cost less than $60 USD.

            Is there interest in my writing an construction article for GEO? It will allow amateurs to build the LRIT decoder circuit and to load the firmware. I will also have raw un-assembled PCB's available to ease the construction.
            Regards,
            Jerry Dahl
          • Dale Hardy
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 3, 2013
              <Earthquake prediction "is usually defined as the specification of the time,
              location, and magnitude of a future earthquake within stated limits…..."
              <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earthquake_prediction#cite_note-2> [This can
              be distinguished from earthquake forecasting, which is the probabilistic
              assessment of general earthquake hazard, including the frequency and
              magnitude of damaging earthquakes, in a given area over periods of years or
              decades> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earthquake_prediction

              The Wiki gives a good balanced definition

              InSar, as the science.nasa link you provided, is only a forecasting tool,
              “For many people, earthquakes are synonymous with unpredictability”

              Regards,

              Dale

              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 4, 2013
                Of course earthquakes are unpredictable.

                But RETROSPRCTIVE studies do indeed show that, prior to many major quakes, considerable energy is being generated in the disturbed zone, and that this becomes manifested in elevated surface temperatures shortly before the quake hits. Of course, the exact time the quake breaks cannot be predicted, but knowing one is coming with a few days warning could be a great benefit.

                Of course, to 'predict' an earthquake from this, extensive global monitoring would have to be set up, and we are a considerable way short of this.

                It's the same as meteor problem. Now that we have the capability, the heavens are being scrutinised daily, and we should definitely be able to predict any bodies on a collision course with Earth.