Eumetcast Reception on Ubuntu 12.04 - Update

  • brytnrth
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2012
      I posted earlier that reception on Ubuntu 12.04 was now perfect - that was almost true.

      I discovered that after some hours (minimum 8) reception would stop.
      The System Log (Syslog) had hundreds of lines of messages "smcroute.....IGMP signalling dropped".
      Ubuntu Update Manager urged updating smcroute from v.0.92 to v.0.95, this I did and the system now runs perfectly.

      I have sent my findings to our friends at "Ops" (ops@...), and they have thanked me and stated that the Linux section of the troubleshooting guide would be updated soon.

      My thanks and acknowledgements go to Andy Eskelson for his suggestions for modifying the Perl script.

      Tim Holdsworth
    • nigel
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 2, 2012
        On 01/12/12 11:19, brytnrth wrote:
        > I posted earlier that reception on Ubuntu 12.04 was now perfect - that was almost true.
        >
        > I discovered that after some hours (minimum 8) reception would stop.
        > The System Log (Syslog) had hundreds of lines of messages "smcroute.....IGMP signalling dropped".
        > Ubuntu Update Manager urged updating smcroute from v.0.92 to v.0.95, this I did and the system now runs perfectly.
        >
        > I have sent my findings to our friends at "Ops" (ops@...), and they have thanked me and stated that the Linux section of the troubleshooting guide would be updated soon.
        >
        > My thanks and acknowledgements go to Andy Eskelson for his suggestions for modifying the Perl script.
        >
        > Tim Holdsworth

        Hi Tim,
        I'm running Eumetcast reception on an Archlinux machine and am still
        using smcroute v 0.92, apparently.
        I haven't seen these messages, (yet!) but thank you for pointing it out
        - I'll keep a watch out for it, if/ when I get reception problems!
        Out of interest, how are you processing the received files?
        I'm using David's programmes running on an XP Virtual machine and, so
        far, they are performing well.

        Regards
        Nigel
      • brytnrth
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 4, 2012
          --- In GEO-Subscribers@yahoogroups.com, nigel <nigel@...> wrote:

          > On 01/12/12 11:19, brytnrth wrote:
          > > I posted earlier that reception on Ubuntu 12.04 was now perfect - that was almost true.
          > >
          > > I discovered that after some hours (minimum 8) reception would stop.
          > > The System Log (Syslog) had hundreds of lines of messages "smcroute.....IGMP signalling dropped".
          > > Ubuntu Update Manager urged updating smcroute from v.0.92 to v.0.95, this I did and the system now runs perfectly.
          > >
          > > I have sent my findings to our friends at "Ops" (ops@...), and they have thanked me and stated that the Linux section of the troubleshooting guide would be updated soon.
          > >
          > > My thanks and acknowledgements go to Andy Eskelson for his suggestions for modifying the Perl script.
          > >
          > > Tim Holdsworth
          > >

          > Hi Tim,
          > I'm running Eumetcast reception on an Archlinux machine and am still
          > using smcroute v 0.92, apparently.
          > I haven't seen these messages, (yet!) but thank you for pointing it out
          > - I'll keep a watch out for it, if/ when I get reception problems!
          > Out of interest, how are you processing the received files?
          > I'm using David's programmes running on an XP Virtual machine and, so
          > far, they are performing well.
          >
          > Regards
          > Nigel

          Hi Nigel,

          I am processing the received files using XP and David's excellent software.
          My Linux machine multi tasks very well without losing any segments - very satisfactory.

          Regards

          Tim.