DVBworld now working under Windows-8/64-bit

  • David J Taylor
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 1, 2012
      Thanks to Arne van Belle's expertise and Graham Woolf's testing we now have
      a working solution for using the DVBWorld box under Windows-8, 64-bit - see:

      http://www.satsignal.eu/wxsat/Dexatek/Dexatek.html#64-bit-Win-8

      My thanks to both for this work.

      Cheers,
      David
      Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
      Email: david-taylor@...
    • Prem
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 4, 2012
        Thanks for putting that up David. I was at least able to get the drivers to
        load but as soon as I try to run the program. Everything seems to load
        rather jittery and then DVB world just shuts down. The error checking just
        reports "incompatible program". Or have sent the report off to Microsoft.

        I've been all the last week trying to get this to run. With no luck.
        That's with the GEO, May disk and the four later versions. The best I could
        get with the four later versions, was for the software to run, but no data.
        Until I can get the software to run properly. I'm stuck. IP4 is set up:
        192.168.238.238

        I have not been I would to download Arne's recommended ship archive, as your
        link does not seem to work. Looking at Arne's dates for the driver. I
        suspect they are the same as on my Geo disk.

        Hopefully other people have had better luck than me.

        Prem Holdaway
        Phold29@...

        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 4, 2012
[...]

          Prem,

          I've fixed the link now - it's:

          http://home.hccnet.nl/a.van.belle/GEO/V2.0%20DVB%20World-20080415+Ecast+guide.zip

          Let's hope for better luck with that version. It /is/ working for others.

          Cheers,
          David
          Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
          Email: david-taylor@...
        • Prem
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 8, 2012
            Hi David,

            First of all. Thanks for correcting the link and I must apologise for not
            getting back to you sooner.

            On first try. I still couldn't get anything to work so I once again zeroed
            the disk and reinstall Windows. I then reinstall the DVB world and once
            setup it showed data was being received this time. I then installed the
            telecast software and then the EKU. As far as I could tell they were all
            installed correctly, but I still couldn't get away from the yellow T. I
            then decided to install the latest version of the DVB world. This I did,
            but I didn't allow it to install the later drivers. Once again all data
            seems to be being received okay, but still the yellow T.

            The odd bit about it. I'm getting some very odd results. The receiving/tmp
            and the 0.FSY is being saved to my RAM disk. This seems to vary in size
            from 700 kB to 2500 kB. Most of the time the recv.log in the businessTV-IP
            directory shows zero information and the log file in the telecast system
            (which incidentally is 2.4.4 B) shows various bits of information of program
            starting and shutting down all within one second. The last shut down was
            2012-11-07 at 21:06:01.331. On the two attempts to day. All I have is
            "local level is quiet." The DVB world, the telecast and the EKU are all
            being allowed through Windows firewall and as far as I can tell. Windows
            defender is not blocking anything?

            I am using Windows 8 with the EUMETCast client software version 5.5, which
            certainly worked in Windows 7.

            I must admit, I am stumped and I don't like getting beaten by software!
            AArrh.

            Phold29@... <mailto:Phold29%40talktalk.net>

            Prem,

            I've fixed the link now - it's:

            http://home.hccnet.nl/a.van.belle/GEO/V2.0%20DVB%20World-20080415+Ecast+guid
            e.zip

            Let's hope for better luck with that version. It /is/ working for others.

            Cheers,
            David
            Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
            Email: david-taylor@...
            <mailto:david-taylor%40blueyonder.co.uk>

          • David J Taylor
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 8, 2012
[...]

              I had this happen to me on one Win-8 test PC, and I discovered that I had
              been over-cautious with the Windows Firewall settings. You need to allow
              tc-recv.exe UDP access on both private and public networks.

              On a second Win-8 test PC I was installing the DVB World box, only to have
              the 9V 2A PSU fail (anyone have a spare?). I continued the installation
              with a SkyStar USB 2 box, and was stuck with a yellow T until I un-installed
              the now unused DVB World drivers. Perhaps with the mixture of software you
              had there is still an incompatible driver left on the system? I would
              suggest installing /only/ from Arne's Zip archive.

              I guess you did see the comments from Graham Woolf about driver signing on
              Win8/64?

              http://www.satsignal.eu/wxsat/Dexatek/Dexatek.html#64-bit

              He has working system.

              Cheers,
              David
              Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
              Email: david-taylor@...
            • Prem
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 8, 2012
                Hi David, Graham,

                Yes I do have both public and private networks checked in the Windows
                firewall. Hopefully there are no old drivers left around as zeroing the
                disk (low-level formatting) should remove everything including the petition
                table, so it is a clean install, using Arne's zip archive. This showed data
                was being received under the IP config tab, but I was still getting the
                yellow T so I decided to load in the latest version of DVB world, but not
                its drivers. So the drivers are still Arne's version. This was also
                showing data flowing but still the yellow T.

                I then set up the Internet protocol version 4 to use the following address,
                192.168.238.238 and the subnet mask 255.255.255.0. I then installed the EKU
                software. I forgot to mention this before but I then tried to add the
                persistent route. Every time I try to enter it. It kept telling me it
                needs to elevate I've yet to search Microsoft to find out what it means and
                why it is needed.

                I also carried out your instructions, Graham on the driver signing. It was
                this that got the data flowing and it was only because I had the yellow T,
                that I decided to try the later DVB world software, but I made sure it
                didn't load in the newer drivers. The data was still flowing on the new
                software.

                I suspect you're right about it's something that I've missed, but I just
                can't think what. After zeroing the disk around about nine times. The
                brain is starting to get foggy. To me the puzzling bit is that data is
                flowing in the DVB world and the telecast software is initialising the
                directories in the RAM disk. The EKU software loads at bootup with its red
                light glowing. The target directories, prior to David's software utilising
                the data should be under BusinessTV-IP/received/subdirectories, but there is
                nothing.

                Hopefully I shall get there in the end, and when I do I shall let everybody
                know what and how? Thanks for all your help so far, most appreciated.

                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 8, 2012
                  Hi Prem,

                  Been following your saga. Elevate means 'run as administrator' and
                  would apply to the installation of the EKU, reasonably so.

                  In my crib sheet, made when I last did an install, I installed the Sky
                  Star card first, then the software relating to it, and after that, the
                  EKU. When the EKU was installed, I installed the Tellicast software, at
                  the end of which the purple T resulted. This is a different sequence
                  from that used by you and may account for your problem.

                  Best of luck! Alan S

                  Alan Sewards
                  émail: alan@...
                  web site: http://asewards.free.fr
                • Prem
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 8, 2012
                    Thanks to everybody who helped. David J Taylor, Graham Woolf and Alan
                    Sewards.

                    I now have a working system again, after nearly 2 weeks.

                    There were two things that I had done wrong. One I had forgot that two into
                    the root I had to run the command prompt as the administrator and thanks to
                    Graham. He explained how to do that and Alan Sewards recommended installing
                    the telecast software after installing the EKU. Once I uninstalled the EKU
                    and telecast software and then installed them as Alan recommended. Low and
                    behold a pink T. In the past and other versions of Windows. I'm sure I've
                    always loaded the EKU last, but not this version.

                    Once again thanks to all you guys.

                    Prem Holdaway
                    phold29@...
                  • David J Taylor
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 8, 2012
                      Thanks to everybody who helped. David J Taylor, Graham Woolf and Alan
                      Sewards.

                      I now have a working system again, after nearly 2 weeks.

                      There were two things that I had done wrong. One I had forgot that two into
                      the root I had to run the command prompt as the administrator and thanks to
                      Graham. He explained how to do that and Alan Sewards recommended installing
                      the telecast software after installing the EKU. Once I uninstalled the EKU
                      and telecast software and then installed them as Alan recommended. Low and
                      behold a pink T. In the past and other versions of Windows. I'm sure I've
                      always loaded the EKU last, but not this version.

                      Once again thanks to all you guys.

                      Prem Holdaway
                      =======================================

                      Thanks for that, Prem. I've updated my guide to have the "Run as
                      Administrator" in bold.

                      http://www.satsignal.eu/wxsat/Dexatek/ip-address.html#route

                      The latest EUMETSAT CD (5.8) suggests the following order:

                      1 - DVB driver and application
                      2 - EKU (eToken) software
                      3 - TelliCast client

                      as you have now used. Glad to hear that it's now working correctly.

                      Cheers,
                      David
                      Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
                      Email: david-taylor@...