RE: [GEO-Subscribers] air mass imagery

  • Moore, Robert
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 5, 2011
      Thanks David and Rob, I now have this sorted out and the results are very good. The colours are only slighty different from EUMETSAT - which is a trivial matter. The images will be useful. The current airmass image shows cold air from the arctic coming right down across the UK and curling around Spain. Spectacular.

      Robert

      > The EUMETtrain website says that the RGB airmass image is created as
      > follows:
      >
      > R = WV6.2 - WV7.3
      > G = IR9.7 - IR10.8
      > B = WV6.2
      >
      > When I apply these in GeSatSignal all I get is a screen of dark blue and
      > darker blue with no detail visible. Perhaps there are Offset and Gain
      > settings needed, but I haven't discovered them yet. Anyone any ideas?
      >
      > Robert

      Robert,

      Be aware that sometimes these equations are given in temperature, and the
      traditional temperature mapping for the images is black hot, i.e. negative
      temperature.

      With GeoSatSignal 7, the air-mass colour matrix is built-in. For the job
      you are using, select:

      False colour: RGB

      and then in the RGB settings box:

      Use Suggested: select air-mass from the drop-down list

      Click the "Use suggested" button.

      The best RGB settings will be entered for you in the boxes above. Click
      on OK. The colours may not exactly match the EUMETSAT colours, but should
      be easy to interpret.

      On the MSG Data Manager, you need to have the Calibrate thermal checked
      for the thermal channels (channels 7 to 11), and unchecked for the WV
      channels (5 and 6). These are the default installed settings, so should
      be correct unless you've changed them.

      Cheers,
      David
      Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
      Email: david-taylor@...<mailto:david-taylor%40blueyonder.co.uk>
    • David J Taylor
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 5, 2011
        > Thanks David and Rob, I now have this sorted out and the results are
        > very good. The colours are only slighty different from EUMETSAT - which
        > is a trivial matter. The images will be useful. The current airmass
        > image shows cold air from the arctic coming right down across the UK and
        > curling around Spain. Spectacular.
        >

        > Robert

        I'm glad that's working for you, Robert. I've put a sample image and your
        comment here:

        http://www.satsignal.eu/software/geosatsignal.htm#air-mass

        so that people what an air-mass image looks like. I added a pointer to
        more information about interpreting air-mass RGB.

        Cheers,
        David
        Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
        Email: david-taylor@...