Re: [GEO-Subscribers] Re: Helping hands

  • geojohnt@aol.com
    Message 1 of 73 , Oct 1, 2011
      esko.petaja@... writes:

      There are now 2 good examples from other clubs like Funcube dongle and
      DATV lite (will be also big issue).
      What could be next "big bang" for GEO Group ?

      Hello Esko,

      As has been said we (well some of us) in Europe are spoilt with EUMETCast -
      happy just to point the dish, switch on the computer and away we go.
      Many are not as lazy as me fortunately including yourself, Ed Murashie in
      the States, Rob, Arne and Ruud and others in the Dutch group, John Silver,
      Patrick Tast and many, many more whose names I can't remember.

      Soon APT and HRPT will no longer be with us and, as has also been said,
      the reception frequencies are going up (considerably) as are the data rates.
      So what to fill the gap?

      LRIT has been mentioned a couple of times and since this is used in the
      Americas and Pacific satellite regions I wonder what hobbyists in those areas
      are doing without WEFAX now.
      And/or as David said experimenting with NOAACast or FengYunCast.
      These, along with EUMETCast, part of the international GEONETCast system
      doesn't appear exactly to have a common standard?

      I like to feel that the GEO Quarterly - and GEO-Subs - is a place for
      'space orientated' material and not just weather and weather sats.
      And, though I don't get around to building much constructional articles are
      always of interest.

      Regards,
      John.

    • Guy Martin
      Message 73 of 73 , Oct 3, 2011
        It’s also quite pricey (£200+) compared to the dongle. Good software though, not so good RF.

        Guy