1.7Ghz LNA Wanted

  • Bob
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 11, 2011
      Hi Guys.
      Just wondered if any of you had a 1.7Ghz LNA lying about anywhere that you would like to sell, I know a good few of you use the indirect satellite route for your weather data, but I'm still interested in the self assembly side of HRPT :-)

      There is one German company that sells a ready built LNA, but being retired and on a fixed income, I can't justify the cost.

      I expect a few of us are in the same boat :-(

      Bob(UK)

      PS: Such a shame that the kits of a few years ago aren't available anymore, I built quite a few of those over the years, if only I hadn't lost interst for a while, I would still have all that gear.
    • wa1vta01452
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 11, 2011
        Bob,

        I may have a Down-East Microwave preamp and TimeStep downconverter to sell if no-one in the UK responds.

        Tom

        --- In GEO-Subscribers@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" <bobwarrin2009@...> wrote:

        > Hi Guys.
        > Just wondered if any of you had a 1.7Ghz LNA lying about anywhere that you would like to sell, I know a good few of you use the indirect satellite route for your weather data, but I'm still interested in the self assembly side of HRPT :-)
        >
        > There is one German company that sells a ready built LNA, but being retired and on a fixed income, I can't justify the cost.
        >
        > I expect a few of us are in the same boat :-(
        >
        > Bob(UK)
        >
        > PS: Such a shame that the kits of a few years ago aren't available anymore, I built quite a few of those over the years, if only I hadn't lost interst for a while, I would still have all that gear.

      • Bob Warriner
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 11, 2011
          Hi Tom, thanks for the response.
          I have a HRPT receiver that has everything built in including the downconverter, all I need is the LNA.
          Has your LNA been used at 1.7 Ghz? I'm not familier with the maker, maybe I should try a Google search to see if it suits.
          Very kind of you to make the offer, I'll get back to you soon.
          Rgds Bob.

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 11, 2011
            Hi again Tom.
            Just checked their website, if it's one of the 1691 series and coax fed, that would do very well.
            Maybe if you could PM me with a price, we could do a deal.
            Rgds Bob.
            PS: does it have a model number?

            I may have a Down-East Microwave preamp and TimeStep downconverter to sell if no-one in the UK responds.

            Tom

            --- In GEO-Subscribers@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" <bobwarrin2009@...> wrote:

            > Hi Guys.
            > Just wondered if any of you had a 1.7Ghz LNA lying about anywhere that you would like to sell, I know a good few of you use the indirect satellite route for your weather data, but I'm still interested in the self assembly side of HRPT :-)
            >
            > There is one German company that sells a ready built LNA, but being retired and on a fixed income, I can't justify the cost.
            >
            > I expect a few of us are in the same boat :-(
            >
            > Bob(UK)
            >
            > PS: Such a shame that the kits of a few years ago aren't available anymore, I built quite a few of those over the years, if only I hadn't lost interst for a while, I would still have all that gear.

          • a_van_belle
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 12, 2011
              Hello Bob,

              Yes there is a suitable kit available in the UK !

              Although I still have to build it, Sam, G4DDK was kind enough to build one and test it up to 1600 Mhz (limit of his equipment).
              His design is very low noise and can be easily adapted to 1700 MHz.
              see http://www.g4ddk.com/
              Building does require a steady hand and good magnifying glasses however.

              Greetings,
              Arne van Belle

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 12, 2011
                Thanks Arne, actually I have managed to source a Timestep 2.2 LNA which is a pretty good performer from memory...about 0.5 noise figure.
                Something else I should mention is that I'm in the process of building your Helix Beam antenna, although 1 mtr in length as apposed to your 1.5 mtrs.
                I don't have a machine shop :-) so I'm doing my best with the tools I have at my disposal, coming along OK though, will try to find time to wind the copper coil this weekend.
                I'm keeping strictly to your drawings apart from the countersinking of the bracket screws, can't manage that because the reflector is thinner that your design, hope that doesn't make too much difference.
                In your experience, is the impedance matching adjustment critical in nature...in other words, does half a turn on the nylon screw one way or another make a lot of difference, I lack proper measuring equipment?
                Thanks for your response.

                I'll check out Sam's site for future reference, I may get one anyway as I plan to experiment with antennas quite a lot as part of the hobby.
                Having only recently retired as an electronic engineer, I have been replacing surface mounted components quite a bit over the last 10 years or so, and still have my Pace factory sourced soldering/desoldering station, so construction projects are welcome.
                Still have a steady hand, and the eyesight seems OK although I do use a large magnifier...about the size of an A4 sheet of paper, so should be OK.
                Bob(UK)

                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 13, 2011
                  Hello Bob,

                  Not having counter sunk screw on teh reflector plate won't make much difference. Only near the impedance matching you don't want a screw head shorting your helical.

                  Adjusting the nylon screw is not that critical, but it depends on your LNA. Some LNA can start to oscillate when not correctly matched.
                  Try to find maximum signal level from a stationary source like MET7 in the east or MET9 on 1691 MHz.

                  Good luck building !

                  Arne van Belle