MSG and MODIS compared

  • Moore, Robert
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 3, 2011
      My guess is that most of us use the MODIS data for viewing in the visible bands in order to enjoy the high resolution imagery. I have just had a look at the IR and here too the difference in resolution seems to show up well (at least that’s what I assume it is).

      For yesterday compare thin_MOD021KM.A2011183.2230.005.2011183231241.NRT.hdf channel 28 with the Ch06 image from MSG around the same time.

      The dry air behind the cold front running south from Iceland is a conspicuous feature of both images, but the MODIS one is much sharper. I’m not sure if this matters much in terms of the utility of the images though. Anyone else been looking outside the visible spectrum?

      Robert

      Telephone and fax: 44 (0) 1352 714456
    • Douglas Deans
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 3, 2011
        My guess is that most of us use the MODIS data for viewing in the visible
        bands in order to enjoy the high resolution imagery. I have just had a look
        at the IR and here too the difference in resolution seems to show up well
        (at least that’s what I assume it is).

        For yesterday compare thin_MOD021KM.A2011183.2230.005.2011183231241.NRT.hdf
        channel 28 with the Ch06 image from MSG around the same time.

        The dry air behind the cold front running south from Iceland is a
        conspicuous feature of both images, but the MODIS one is much sharper. I’m
        not sure if this matters much in terms of the utility of the images though.
        Anyone else been looking outside the visible spectrum?

        Robert

        Robert, I do agree but for a fair comparison of geostationary and polar
        satellites it has to be done within about 20° of the equator.
        Iceland is almost outwith the area of useable, calibrated imagery for
        geostationary.

        Regards
        Douglas.
      • Moore, Robert
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 3, 2011
          Good point, Douglas. The dry area in the images I viewed does, however, go half way to the equator! Good as the MODIS image is at these higher latitudes I can't see that the resolution would make a great deal of difference in, for example, weather forecasting.
          best wishes