Re: [GEO-Subscribers] TV broadcasts, links and processing delays.

  • geojohnt@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , May 2, 2011
      Hi David and Andy,

      Thanks very much for your detailed replies.
      I'd forgotten about 'multiplexing,' teletext - and presumably also 'red
      button' and 'other bits.'

      Blimey it's complicated - how do they work it all out and put it all
      together?
      And the fact that it - usually - comes out quite polished and 'integrated.'
      High speed pretty complex 'computers' I guess.

      A far cry from my days at BBC TV with 1/4 magnetic tape and 16 mm film.

      One thing I wish now I'd also done was to dig out the old analogue CRT TV
      to 'see' what that transmission was doing time-wise.

      Thanks again.

      Regards,
      John.

    • Weather
      Message 2 of 8 , May 2, 2011
        John,
        suggest you at least listen to the DAB delay and watch TV at the same
        time... with Radio 4 LW in the background...Te He !

        Cheers
        David P

        On 02/05/2011 10:14, geojohnt@... wrote:

        > Hi David and Andy,
        >
        > Thanks very much for your detailed replies.
        > I'd forgotten about 'multiplexing,' teletext - and presumably also 'red
        > button' and 'other bits.'
        >
        > Blimey it's complicated - how do they work it all out and put it all
        > together?
        > And the fact that it - usually - comes out quite polished and
        > 'integrated.'
        > High speed pretty complex 'computers' I guess.
        >
        > A far cry from my days at BBC TV with 1/4 magnetic tape and 16 mm film.
        >
        > One thing I wish now I'd also done was to dig out the old analogue CRT TV
        > to 'see' what that transmission was doing time-wise.
        >
        > Thanks again.
        >
        > Regards,
        > John.

      • David J Taylor
        Message 3 of 8 , May 2, 2011
          > John,
          > suggest you at least listen to the DAB delay and watch TV at the same
          > time... with Radio 4 LW in the background...Te He !
          >
          > Cheers
          > David P

          .. and if you want to know the time within a microsecond or so, install
          yourself a £25-ish GPS device, such as that described in the next GEO
          Quarterly. Get one in advance so that you are ready when the Quarterly is
          published:

          http://www.sureelectronics.net/goods.php?id=99

          Cheers,
          David
          Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
          Email: david-taylor@...
        • Ulrich G. Kliegis
          Message 4 of 8 , May 4, 2011
            > .. and if you want to know the time within a microsecond or so,
            > install yourself a £25-ish GPS device, such as that described in the
            > next GEO Quarterly.

            David,
            does the microsecond include Bluetooth propagation and communication,
            windows based interrupt-timing jitter and such? 8-^

            Reminds me of the printing digital clock. You can look later on what time it
            was before! :)

            Cheers,
            U.

            BTW, since I am still the new kidon the block here, I asked via the GEO
            website how I could order the issues of last year (they are the only item not
            directly clickable). No response so far. Pls understand that this is no urging,
            just my curiosity - and I'd like to read Arne's article on Envisat.

            _U.
          • David J Taylor
            Message 5 of 8 , May 4, 2011
              >> .. and if you want to know the time within a microsecond or so,
              >> install yourself a £25-ish GPS device, such as that described in the
              >> next GEO Quarterly.
              >
              > David,
              > does the microsecond include Bluetooth propagation and communication,
              > windows based interrupt-timing jitter and such? 8-^

              Microsecond is at the device interface.

              Perhaps 10us with FreeBSD, or 100us with Windows. See:
              http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/daily_ntp.html

              > Reminds me of the printing digital clock. You can look later on what
              > time it
              > was before! :)
              >
              > Cheers,
              > U.
              >
              > BTW, since I am still the new kidon the block here, I asked via the GEO
              > website how I could order the issues of last year (they are the only
              > item not
              > directly clickable). No response so far. Pls understand that this is no
              > urging,
              > just my curiosity - and I'd like to read Arne's article on Envisat.
              >
              > _U.

              If the GEO Shop hasn't responded within a few days, likely they haven't
              got your e-mail. I would try again, perhaps to the "General enquiries"
              link.

              Cheers,
              David
              Web: http://www.satsignal.eu