Notification of HRPT Frequency Changes on NOAA-16 Issued: October 30

  • Rick Anstett
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1, 2010
      I haven't seen this posted yet, so here's a copy and paste from an ESPC Ops e-mail:

      Topic: HRPT Transmitter Changes on NOAA-16 and NOAA-17

      Date/Time: 30 October 2010 0230 UTC

      Product(s) or Data Impacted: HRPT Services on NOAA-17 and NOAA16

      Date/Time of Initial Impact: 19 November 2010, Time 150000 UTC

      Date/Time of Expected End: Indefinite.

      Length of Outage: Not Applicable.

      Details/Specifics of Change:
      The NOAA/NESDIS Office of Satellite Operations has announced the following:
      Since NOAA-17 AVHRR now has a stalled scan motor is it possible to switch the HRPT transmitter configuration on NOAA-17 with NOAA-16. Most of the direct users can only receive right hand circular polarization (RHCP). An analysis done by the SOCC engineers recommends a change on NOAA-16 from left hand circular polarization (LHCP) to RHCP and leaving the present RHCP configuration on NOAA-17 as is due to low output power of STX1 transmitter versus play down of stored data. The orbital planes of NOAA-19 and NOAA-18 are almost at right angles to the orbital planes of NOAA-17 and Metop-2. NOAA-16 drafting towards NOAA-17, and NOAA-15 drifting towards NOAA -18. In this HRPT transmitter configuration, NOAA-16 and NOAA-17 will have a brief RF interference period due to both spacecraft being configured on STX1 for HRPT transmission. With this improvement all direct users will now be able to get HRPT data from NOAA-16. This change will be done through the spacecraft command table (SCT) to give users ample time to prepare for this new configuration. The table below summarizes this request.

      NOAA-17's Current STX Configuration (as of 10/19/10)
      STX Polarization Current Minimum Function
      Output Power (W)
      1 RHCP 2.4 HRPT
      2 LHCP 8.42 Playback
      3 RHCP 0 Inoperable
      4 RHCP (Omni) 6.45 Playback

      NOAA-16's Current STX Configuration (as of 10/19/10)
      STX Polarization Current Minimum Function
      Output Power (W)
      1 RHCP 9.1 Playback
      2 LHCP 5.95 HRPT
      3 RHCP 0 Inoperable
      4 RHCP (Omni) 8.1 Emergency/Test

      NOAA-16's PROPOSED STX Configuration
      STX Polarization Current Minimum Function
      Output Power (W)
      1 RHCP 9.1 HRPT
      2 LHCP 5.95 Playback
      3 RHCP 0 Inoperable
      4 RHCP (Omni) 8.1 Emergency/Test

      The SOCC engineers will continue to monitor NOAA-17 and provide updates on the status of the AVHRR scan motor.

      Contact Information for Further Information:
      ESPC Operations at ESPCOperations@... or 301-817-3880
      Marlin O. Perkins at Marlin.O.Perkins@... or 301-817-4523
      Direct Readout Services
      Dong Han at Dong.Han@... or 301-817-4127 Spacecraft Operations Support
      Carl Gliniak at Carl.Gliniak@... or 301-817-4207 Spacecraft Operations Support

      Web Site(s) for applicable information:
      http://www.osdpd.noaa.gov/PSB/PPP/PPP.html - History of level 1B notices
      http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/SATS/messages.html - All user notices
    • David J Taylor
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 1, 2010
        > I haven't seen this posted yet, so here's a copy and paste from an ESPC
        > Ops e-mail:

        David
        Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
        Email: david-taylor@...