Satellites and TV.

  • geojohnt@aol.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 1, 2010
      ESA Euronews: Satellite TV - beaming pictures from space

      31 May 2010 Thanks to satellites thousands of kilometres above Earth,
      the World Cup will be watched live on TV the world over this summer. Every
      goal, every foul, the joy and the pain will be relayed from the pitch to our
      living rooms in an instant, by bouncing the TV signal off an electronic
      platform floating high above the equator. But how exactly does it work, how
      are the satellites controlled from the ground and what risks do they face in
      orbit?

      _http://www.esa.int/SPECIALS/Euronews/SEMOXS4XT9G_0.html_
      (http://www.esa.int/SPECIALS/Euronews/SEMOXS4XT9G_0.html)

    • Les Hamilton
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 1, 2010
        Boring ... Boring ... Boring.

        Les

        --- In GEO-Subscribers@yahoogroups.com, geojohnt@... wrote:

        > ESA Euronews: Satellite TV - beaming pictures from space
        >
        > 31 May 2010 Thanks to satellites thousands of kilometres above Earth,
        > the World Cup will be watched live on TV the world over this summer. Every
        > goal, every foul, the joy and the pain will be relayed from the pitch to our
        > living rooms in an instant, by bouncing the TV signal off an electronic
        > platform floating high above the equator. But how exactly does it work, how
        > are the satellites controlled from the ground and what risks do they face in
        > orbit?
        >
        > _http://www.esa.int/SPECIALS/Euronews/SEMOXS4XT9G_0.html_
        > (http://www.esa.int/SPECIALS/Euronews/SEMOXS4XT9G_0.html)

      • David J Taylor
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 1, 2010
          > ESA Euronews: Satellite TV - beaming pictures from space
          >
          > 31 May 2010 Thanks to satellites thousands of kilometres above Earth,
          > the World Cup will be watched live on TV the world over this summer.
          > Every
          > goal, every foul, the joy and the pain will be relayed from the pitch
          > to our
          > living rooms in an instant, by bouncing the TV signal off an electronic
          > platform floating high above the equator. But how exactly does it work,
          > how
          > are the satellites controlled from the ground and what risks do they
          > face in
          > orbit?
          >
          > _http://www.esa.int/SPECIALS/Euronews/SEMOXS4XT9G_0.html_
          > (http://www.esa.int/SPECIALS/Euronews/SEMOXS4XT9G_0.html)

          Most interesting, John, thanks for posting! I did note at 4:50 in some
          signal level graphs in the control room showing what could have been the
          same daily variation which we have observed - not enough resolution to see
          which satellite, though (is the clip available in HD?). I also felt sorry
          that one presenter had to be recording his piece during the Monaco Formula
          1 Grand Prix, which was on the monitors in the background!

          As I'm not into mud sports - so I will doubtless be cursing the TV
          coverage during the next few weeks, but at least it will sell some HD
          sets!

          Cheers,
          David
          Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
          Email: david-taylor@...
        • GuyMartin
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 1, 2010
            I didn't think so !

            Guy

            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 3, 2010
              It's the football that's boring (to clear any misconception), no the satellite info.

              But how/why folk would waste summer months stuck in front of a TV watching guys kicking a ball about I can't understand.

              Les

              --- In GEO-Subscribers@yahoogroups.com, "GuyMartin" <guymartin@...> wrote:

              > I didn't think so !
              >
              > Guy

            • David J Taylor
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 3, 2010
                > It's the football that's boring (to clear any misconception), no the
                > satellite info.
                >
                > But how/why folk would waste summer months stuck in front of a TV
                > watching guys kicking a ball about I can't understand.
                >
                > Les

                On the other hand, sitting outside in the sunshine, watching an informal
                game of cricket, with a glass of something cool at your side....

                Cheers,
                David
                Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
                Email: david-taylor@...
              • GuyMartin
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 3, 2010
                  Well, I agree with you there, but each to his own.

                  You're assuming the predicted hot summer will happen ? Interestingly the
                  folks predicting a scorcher this year got last years' wet summer and our
                  colder than usual (perhaps normal as opposed to warm) winter absolutely
                  correct. The Met Office didn't score nearly as well. Maybe global warming
                  (if true) is upsetting their atmospheric model.

                  Guy

                  It's the football that's boring (to clear any misconception), no the
                  satellite info.

                  But how/why folk would waste summer months stuck in front of a TV watching
                  guys kicking a ball about I can't understand.

                  Les

                  --- In GEO-Subscribers@yahoogroups.com, "GuyMartin" <guymartin@...> wrote:

                  > I didn't think so !
                  >
                  > Guy
                • Robin Gandevia
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 3, 2010
                    Dear Mr. Hamilton,

                    That you chose to espouse your opinions of football on this medium demonstrates far greater contempt for this group than the original writer's composition. His sole intention seems to have been to inform / educate / and advise others regarding the technology involving great use of satellites to disseminate events of interest to much of the world (though not me) in an unprecedented way.

                    You admit you can't understand it; therefore, may I suggest you refrain from comment in such matters.

                    Robin Gandevia VK2VN

                    It's the football that's boring (to clear any misconception), no the satellite info.

                    But how/why folk would waste summer months stuck in front of a TV watching guys kicking a ball about I can't understand.

                    Les

                    --- In GEO-Subscribers@yahoogroups.com, "GuyMartin" <guymartin@...> wrote:

                    > I didn't think so !
                    >
                    > Guy

                  • Dave Aitch OCN
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 3, 2010
                      I'm with you Les. Never been to a footy match in me life.

                      Cheers, Dave.

                    • geojohnt@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 4, 2010
                        RobinG@... writes:

                        Dear Mr. Hamilton,

                        That you chose to espouse your opinions of football on this medium
                        demonstrates far greater contempt for this group than the original writer's
                        composition. His sole intention seems to have been to inform / educate / and
                        advise others regarding the technology involving great use of satellites to
                        disseminate events of interest to much of the world (though not me) in an
                        unprecedented way.

                        You admit you can't understand it; therefore, may I suggest you refrain
                        from comment in such matters.

                        Dear All,

                        Ooops!!!
                        I should have guessed anything containing the word football might
                        generated a bit of 'action?'

                        Sorry for that.
                        Yes, my intention was bringing your attention to the technical points - the
                        wording was ESA's.

                        Dare I say I'm not a football fan - but it does seem you either love it or
                        hate it?
                        And, I'm afraid, there's not going to be much (else) on TV for the next few
                        weeks?

                        May I please hold up the yellow card and call this discussion to a close -
                        unless England win - of course!!!

                        Best wishes to all the teams,

                        Regards,
                        John.

                      • geojohnt@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 4, 2010
                          guymartin@... writes:

                          Maybe global warming
                          (if true) is upsetting their atmospheric model.

                          Guy,

                          Careful!

                          I see another opposing team discussion looming.

                          Regards,
                          John.

                        • geojohnt@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 4, 2010
                            gm8arv@... writes:

                            I did note at 4:50 in some
                            signal level graphs in the control room showing what could have been the
                            same daily variation which we have observed - not enough resolution to see
                            which satellite, though (is the clip available in HD?).

                            David,

                            You might find a better resolution copy in the archives here:

                            _http://www.euronews.net/sci-tech/space/_

                            Message 13 of 16 , Jun 4, 2010
                              > I did note at 4:50 in some
                              > signal level graphs in the control room showing what could have been
                              > the
                              > same daily variation which we have observed - not enough resolution to
                              > see
                              > which satellite, though (is the clip available in HD?).
                              >

                              > David,
                              >
                              > You might find a better resolution copy in the archives here:
                              >
                              > _http://www.euronews.net/sci-tech/space/_
                              > (http://www.euronews.net/sci-tech/space/)
                              >
                              > Regards,
                              > John.

                              John,

                              I could only find the same "watch" version there, but I'm not very
                              familiar with that site. Are you suggesting that there might be a
                              download section (rather than watch now) where better quality clips live?

                              Thanks,
                              David
                              Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
                              Email: david-taylor@...
                            • GuyMartin
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jun 5, 2010
                                Hi John,

                                Nothing wrong with genuine discussion. Luckily this site is almost entirely free of some of the tirades you see on other sites.
                                Recent events in Iceland have shown that anything man can do is micro-peanuts compared to what nature can throw at us.

                                Guy

                                Message 15 of 16 , Jun 5, 2010
                                  Sorry you have no sense of humour, Robin.

                                  Les

                                • geojohnt@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jun 6, 2010
                                    gm8arv@... writes:

                                    I could only find the same "watch" version there, but I'm not very
                                    familiar with that site. Are you suggesting that there might be a
                                    download section (rather than watch now) where better quality clips live?

                                    David,

                                    I'm not familiar with the Euronews website - I do sometimes watch their
                                    satellite service - which is of course 'proper TV definition.'

                                    I just wondered if they had a 'better quality' (is it FTP - whatever that
                                    is?) archive as ESA seem to have on the ESA TV website.

                                    Regards,
                                    John.